Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doing It Cheaper And Faster In The UK

Options
  • 11-06-2004 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

After much web research ,since buying my new bike, it seems that I could save a lot of money by doing certain things in the UK instead of Ireland, am wondering how this is viewed over here.

1) Restriction of the bike , was quoted €350 here, talking to some ppl on a uk board, its a ten min job on my type of bike, cost £60..over there.
    2) The driving test - A years wait to sit it, UK version ..no wait just call in to the testing center..sit test.

So ..to the questions.

A) Is a bike restriction certificate recognised by the testers and Garda here if it was done in the UK

B) If i sit the driving test in the UK, do i not have to worry about the 2 year 25KW limit post test, as my UK driver's license has no such restriction (i'm driving over 4 years right now, frankly don't want to be restricted any longer if possible as i feel i can drive safely) , especially if the person that tests me says so.

Anyone know how the Irish Garda and insurance companies will treat me if I save several hundred € and get it done cheaper and faster in the UK ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Longfield
    2) The driving test - A years wait to sit it, UK version ..no wait just call in to the testing center..sit test.
    You need to be UK resident and learn their slightly different Rules of the Road (and lots of different signs).

There may be insurance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Being a UK residant or holding UK passport ? , yes i'll apply for a UK passport if it saves me a couple of hundred euro..my grandparents were born in NI , so am entitled to apply for one if it suits, is only a peice of paper imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Resident - you have to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

The DVLA website (www.dvla.gov.uk) does state that you need to be resident in the U.K. to apply for a test.

As an Irish citizen, however, you have an absolute right to live permanently in the U.K., with no residence permit or any other immigration formailties. You don't even need a passport to live here. That being the case, so long as you can furnish DVLA with ID and a British address at which you say you are resident, I doubt they would query it.

Of course, if you decide to give up living in the U.K. and return to Ireland the day after you pass the test, that's entirely your own affair, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

A) Is a bike restriction certificate recognised by the testers and Garda here if it was done in the UK

I dunno if it's the same thing but the U.K. equivalents of the NCT and DoE tests are *NOT* recognised in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

So ..to the questions.

B) If i sit the driving test in the UK, do i not have to worry about the 2 year 25KW limit post test, as my UK driver's license has no such restriction (i'm driving over 4 years right now, frankly don't want to be restricted any longer if possible as i feel i can drive safely) , especially if the person that tests me says so.

Anyone know how the Irish Garda and insurance companies will treat me if I save several hundred € and get it done cheaper and faster in the UK ?

A - www.fiinternational.com/FAQ.asp
    These are UK based and they supply the restriction kit to your dealer, UK or Ireland.

You get a cert which applies to you only, stating the machine is restricted.
    So you should have no probs with the cert. It cost €300 to get my machine restricted in ROI
    Insurance comapnies don't recognise the restriction, so if your machine is Insurace Group 10 600cc 80bhp then your premium will be calculated on this. The Law requires you to have it restricted. So it kinda has to be done. It could invalidate your insurance by not restricting it, even though you are paying full whack insurance for an unrestricted bike!
    Hibernian recognise some bikes sold in restricted form by the manufacturer - 25kw Suzuki Bandit, 650 V-Strom, Honda CBR600F, and this reduces their insurance group to 5 or 6 (Same rating as a Honda CBR250).

B) To have the unrestricted licence in the UK, you do what is called Direct Access. First you have to do Compulsory Basic Training and a Theory Test I suspect. If you are over 21 then Direct Access applies and you can ride an unrestricted motorcycle should you pass the driving test. Under 21 then you do the same as here - two more years of **** 25kW <woohoo!>
    Driving licences is a bit of a grey area for me. I think as a UK resident with the UK licence then you can ride your unrestricted machine here. I think if you became resident here again you might have to restrict it for the first two years of the licence?? Its something to look into.

<Apply for the test NOW if you haven't already done so. Even if you haven't got the bike yet.>

Don't think you'll save that much to be honest by going to the UK. Maybe NI then.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

<snip>

You're referring here to the Direct Access Scheme. Checkout the Driving Standards Agency website. I got to this from the DVLA link posted by PBC. This allows someone over 21 to get a licence on a bike >35kW. If the residency thing wasn't there I'd consider doing the test in th UK/NI myself. I've another 9 months to go before I have any bike in the shop so I might just hold off.
    There is no DAS here and MAG and been campaigning (I hope, they're a bit quiet on the matter) for this to be introduced here when CBT is introduced. CBT due later this year. This is after the Driver Testing Standards Authority is set up.

Thanks lads, the main cost was in getting restricted, but if UK restriction isn't recognised here, then time to bite the bullet I suppose, damn am i enjoying the new power for the moment tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Why bother with the restriction ? I'm not aware of anyone, ever getting tested on the power output of their bike. You are also insured for the full output rather than the restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Originally posted by Canaboid
    Why bother with the restriction ? I'm not aware of anyone, ever getting tested on the power output of their bike. You are also insured for the full output rather than the restricted.

Not completely true: Hibernian recognise a _factory fitted_ restriction. Otherwise they don't because they're supposed to be so easy to remove. Don't know what Carole Nash do. Most bikers I know are with CN but have either a full licence or an old provisional so no restriction applies.

The restriction is a legal requirement and may come into play if you have an accident. The insurance company will have grounds for refusing to pay out becuase you de-restricted your bike. You can argue your case in court and see how it goes. It doesn't mean that whoever you hit won't get compensation; that comes from a central fund which AFAIK is held as a requirement of the licence issued to the insurance company.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Canaboid

Well , if i thought i'd get away with it , then wouldn't bother, however as far as i know, you must present the restriction cert before the driving test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I have never heard of anyone being asked to present a restriction cert to take the test. If you can find a source on that I'd be grateful.

I am currently awaiting my test call up, having applied back in January and I intend riding my unrestricted CB500.

If anyone has sat their driving test recently on a restricted bike, please let us know wheter the tester asked for proof of restriction.

If they fdon't i wont, is rediculious anyhow, given that the insurance companies charge the same premium restricted or not, and premiums are supposed to be generated by risk factor...

Why not do the same as I did, my local testing center wait is about a year (applied back in feb to it)..so reapplied to athlone, where the wait is "only" 12 weeks?

Advertisement