Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floppy Disk Poet

• 12-06-2004 12:25am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I was walking through the halls of my (now former) place of education last year, when I chanced upon an envelope sticking from one of a long disused row of lockers.

I was curious, and so picked it up.

It had written accross it in block capitals "OPEN ME", I obliged.

Inside I found a floppy disk which had "READ ME" printed on it.

I took it home and after a few days decided to check it out, virus scan and all.
    There turned out to be 56 text files, almost all less that a kb in size. All were poems.

I have uploaded them here to see what other people think of them. No author signed them, and I happened to like quite a few of them.
    Read on :) .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

I've gone through half of that poetry and some of it is amazing! The background story to it, I must admit, enhances it's appeal somewhat - it has an air of mystery as a result! It's inspired me to start writing again so thanks a million for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I took a quick look at a few - they're the best poems I've seen on here yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I googled one of the poems and found this site

It appears that our mystery poet is Seán T Mac An Oghaim (Shane T. Odlum)!

Great stuff!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, I didn't even think to try :) .

Nice one simu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seantí

I received an email about this thread just the other day, I like these boards a lot!

I'm so surprised someone actually bothered to read one of my disks! I left about 30 of them around the city and I figured I'd never know if anyone read them, but this is crazy! I wonder did anyone else...? thanks very much for the praise it's really really encouraging :cool:

shane T.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well, it's nice to be able to put a name to them Shane, thanks for posting.

It put me back to trying out my own poetry, which I had pretty much given up on :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

MAgical idea - glad it worked. By the way shane, my housemates are loving your work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by seantí
    I received an email about this thread just the other day, I like these boards a lot!

I'm so surprised someone actually bothered to read one of my disks! I left about 30 of them around the city and I figured I'd never know if anyone read them, but this is crazy! I wonder did anyone else...? thanks very much for the praise it's really really encouraging :cool:

shane T.
    Hehe, nice one seanti, love it. Haven't read your work though yet.

err, I hope you copyrighted the poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by seantí

shane T.

Oh good, he got my mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seantí

yipee! it is alright, I write for this bizarre magazine called totally fushed (based in kilmacanogue) and it's all taken care of

glad I could help, CuLT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

How bizarre - this is actually me. I completely forgot that I made that seantí account, I thought it was at some other website. Except my vague memories of posting included there being flowers as the background to this forum. I suppose you can ban me for sockpuppetry now!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There really is some great stuff in there! Well done, both for writing those in the first place and for bringing back up a very old thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whoah. This thread is old. Very old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement