Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a .com domain etc

Options
  • 12-06-2004 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi I hope that you can help me.

I have created a few websites as projects but I have never published any on the web. This is now my next step and I need some advice regarding how to register a .com domain that suits my site. The cost of purchasing a domain. What is the best way t go about this?
    What should I look for?

Hopfully some o you can help,
    Thanks,
    Greystreeks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Go here

Find a domain name you like thats not taken & register it, its about €10 for a .com domain.

When you get yourself hosting just enter in the DNS details so to point the domain to your site. Easy.

Thanks JoePC....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greystreeks

Thanks joePC.

you said when I get myself hosting....

How do I go about that. I register my domain. I then have to locte a server?

Greystreeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

hosting is where all your files are. a .com is just an easy way to get there. my host is hasweb - I find them very reliable and affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

http://www.register365.ie - lowest cost com domains in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

If you are going just on price ev1servers do .com's at $6.49

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp

However you may want to deal with an host that you can talk to on the telephone and who can walk you though the process of registering a domain for the first time.

Most Irish hosts will offer this, you will also find since this is what they do for a living they are quite experienced, it might cost you a couple of euro more than $6.49 (about the price of a cup of coffee more. :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Yea Im just after buying a domain name from ev1servers. Worked out at arround 5.40 euro. Irish domain and hosting companys are going to have to get less expensive to stand a chance. Especially java hosting which is a complete rip off here when compared to sites like lunarpages.com. Foreign companies are even starting to offer cheap J2EE hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by clearz
    Yea Im just after buying a domain name from ev1servers. Worked out at arround 5.40 euro. Irish domain and hosting companys are going to have to get less expensive to stand a chance. Especially java hosting which is a complete rip off here when compared to sites like lunarpages.com. Foreign companies are even starting to offer cheap J2EE hosting.

EV1 have sold domains at a loss its a well known fact. As for your java hosting look around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

GreyStreets,

I don't sell hosting or domains. However, I would suggest that you don't just go for the lowest cost host if you are serious about your website.

For me the most important thing, when selecting a host is quality of service. I'm not a technical person so if there is a problem with my site I want to feel confident that I can quickly communicate with someone with the desire and resource to fix it. Related to this is reliability, preferably there will be very little need for "fixing." If the service is reliable there should be very little down time.

I don't view price as a huge issue. If you're going to spend time and resource on a site the cost of hosting it is normally only a small element of the total cost (including time). Yet hosting is such a key element. You don't want to be spending lots of time on hosting related issues, which has happened me in the past.

Spending an extra Euro or two a week on hosting can be well worth it, if your site stays up and you are provided with good technical and customer support. I'm sure anyone who has had a bad hosting experieince would agree with this.

Obviously the features made available by the hosting provider are important when selecting a host. This is more tangible, ie the host either provides them or not.

Saying all that, if your site is just a hobby site you can pick up some really cheap or even free hosting. But even if it is a hobby site do you really want to spend time on hosting issues or are you prepared to pay for support?

Finally I'd suggest that you register you domain name with a different company to the one that hosts your site. That way, if you host lets you down or disappears it is easier to move the site.

You can view some articles on choosing a hosting provider here.

Good luck,

Fergal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greystreeks

Cheers Fergal. Im not relying totally on cost so I will take all of youe suggestions into account.

Thanks for all of your help.

Greystreeks

Advertisement