Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Jeff Buckley fans...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

*Cream*

God, I love Jeff Buckley. He was so brilliant. I listened to the Grace album every other night for two months when I first bought it. He is amazing.

exact same with me. it was like the only thing in my cd player for weeks. amazing. very hard to get sick of Grace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

second best album of all time.......start to finish no a bad note the whole way

(if your interested ten - pearl jam is the best album ever!)

If you like Jeff Buckley, you may also like Nick Drake.

And I hate drawing comparisons between Jeff and his dad, but Tim Buckley is also good if you are into the whole 70's music nostalgia trips:)

Jeff is more about 'the now' I guess. Its been ten years since Grace was released and it still sounds so brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

do you ever "forget" just how great some musicians are, and then get reminded after hearing them on the radio or watching something about them on tv, and then go back and listen to them and kick yourself for forgetting? i regularly do that with jeff buckley. i just wish i had been old enough to have seen him live when he was in dublin - that would have been astounding! i'd agree with theose who say that grace is one of the best and most influential albums of the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

here are the full details. Looks amazing...

http://www9.cd-wow.com/detail_results.php?product_code=12886

:eek: AMAZING.
    *creams her pants*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

He dropped it off Grace and put on "So Real" instead-good choice I think-was expecting to be blown away to finally hear "Forget her" studio recorded instead of the bootleg I have-its not that good-but its more Jeff Buckley which has to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

jeff was far more talented then tim IMO.
    he was amazing.

anyone ever read Dream Brother?
    its a biogrpahy of father and son, and is really well writen.

it does chapter about - starts off with tim, then jeff, then tim etc etc.

when i read the chapters on jeff death, it seriously got me.
    i knew what was coming of course, but it still really affected me.

both men were screwed up by the music industry tho.
    real sad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

jeff was far more talented then tim IMO.
    you're basing this on the one official Jeff album compared with the 9 official Tim albums? I love both of these guys, but i prefer Tim. more adventurous musically from what I've heard. Compare Starsailor to anything Jeff did, live or otherwise...

dream letter is a good book. really well researched. if ur at all interested in Tim (with a little bit of Jeff) check out Blue Melody by Lee Underwood (its a book, written by Tim's lead guitar player. theres a chapter about when lee meets jeff)

you're basing this on the one official Jeff album compared with the 9 official Tim albums? I love both of these guys, but i prefer Tim. more adventurous musically from what I've heard. Compare Starsailor to anything Jeff did, live or otherwise...

nope, im basing it on Grace, Sketches, Sin E recordings (possibly the greatest music gift known to man?!?), and the live Mystery White Boy, and Live at L'Olympia.
    i prefer Jeffs voice, lyrics, and whole persona.

i've d/l a good few tim tracks, and i just aint feelin it..

just my opinion :confused:

ok, but my point is that out of all that stuff, a lot is covers (GREAT covers, mind you) whereas Tim wrote a lot more of his own stuff. i know it was a different musical climate back then (bands seemed to produce an album every 8 months as opposed to one every 2-3 years now) but still...

don't know if you've heard them or not but check out Pleasant Street and Tim's cover of Dolphins both from the Dream Letter: Live in London 1968 CD for convincing that the man was as cool as Jeff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

Wow, I didnt know Jeff had so many fans on boards. I've been listening to him for a couple of years now, and Grace is in my opinion the Greatest album ever composed. 10 perfect songs. I cant believe they'r releasing forget her. That certinally brightened up my night. I recently bought a really cheap Nusrat album in tower, (just to see what teh fuss was about) and i was amazed. Jeff's voice sounds alot like nusrats. Listening to it, i found where jeff got his inspirtion. You can really hear similarities in their music

don't know if you've heard them or not but check out Pleasant Street and Tim's cover of Dolphins both from the Dream Letter: Live in London 1968 CD for convincing that the man was as cool as Jeff...

thanks for the recommendation - i'll try and get a listen
    tim could never be as cool as jeff tho surely? ;)

greta covers by jeff - definitely.
    whats your favourites?

i cant really choose one.. but, from Sin E recordings, Be Your Husband, and I Shall Be Released are right up there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Jeff was infinitely more talented than Tim. He used to practice guitar up to 17 hours some days, he could invert chords and improvise better than anyone. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin said Jeff was the greatest guitarist he had ever seen. Lyrically he was excellent and do I even need to mention the voice???

greta covers by jeff - definitely.
    whats your favourites?

have to say at the moment Jeff's cover of Satisfied Mind on the Songs to No One CD is prob my favourite. and of course the 45rpm version of Kashmir from L'Olympia....

man that version of kashmir is classic.
    cracks em up everytime

yeah, even just purely on a musician, he was far more talented than tim, on guitar at least
    on some of the last tracks before he died he played all the instruments himself didnt he?
    and damn it - the voice.

Anywho, forget her.
    its the 1st track on disk 2 of the legacy edition of grace, which i got the other day.
    i love it - it really is fanatstic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

is forget her actually a studio version, or just a polished up live one?

im a massive jeff fan, but also love tim...i mean they guy has over a dozen albums. couldn't split them, they are both quite different i feel.

mojo pin, for me, will never get old. i just think its the most beautiful song in the whole world. i honestly adore that man. his voice can make me cry. i'm cool.
    i went into music city today and harassed (in the nicest way possible) the guy behind the counter to give me the grace rerelease poster. UNF. i hope i get it he said call back tomorrow lol.

here, does any one know if theres any jeff buckley tribute bands that play dublin ?? i've never heard of one.. i'd love to see something like that...

• Advertisement

its the studio version of Forget Her that was taken of the cd a few weeks before the official release.

its perfection.
    just pure beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

here, does any one know if theres any jeff buckley tribute bands that play dublin ?? i've never heard of one.. i'd love to see something like that...

no but AFAIK once a year there is still a Jeff Buckley tribute/memorial night when bands/singers sing his songs. I read a review of it once and it was a very mixed bag, don't think I'd be into it TBH. Some girl (can't remember who but she's definitely a full time muso) didn't even sing a JB song, that might give you an idea. I've always fancied trying to develop full band versions of some of the Sketches disc 2 material, but then I'm a guitarist and for every band there are 50 more of us sitting around. However, if this does interest anyone as a wee side-project feel free to pm me!

Advertisement