Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Examination paper 2004

Options
  • 12-06-2004 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention that the Leaving Cert papers are being posted to the examinations.ie website a couple of hours after each exam, just in case anybody wasn't allowed to take the paper home or if there's anybody else wanting to take a look.

http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

That's a great service, didn't bring my Irish PII yesterday, but will on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I wonder if they'll do the same with the marking schemes once they make them up? Would be nice to get an idea of the distribution of marks for subjects like maths, physics and applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by subway_ie
    I wonder if they'll do the same with the marking schemes once they make them up? Would be nice to get an idea of the distribution of marks for subjects like maths, physics and applied.

They obviously will at some stage because they did it for the last few years, but I'm not sure at what stage they will post them up. I was under the impression that they made up the marking schemes at the same time as the leaving cert papers (I'm just presuming), so I don't see why the're not posted at the same time as the actual papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I thought the marking schemes weren't made out for a while, in case of complaints of unfair papers or whatever, they'd have to make the marking scheme easier.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    I was under the impression that they made up the marking schemes at the same time as the leaving cert papers (I'm just presuming), so I don't see why the're not posted at the same time as the actual papers.

They're not made up at the same time as the papers.

The marking scheme is decided at an examiners conference which is held AFTER all the Leaving Cert exams have taken place.

That way they can get the correct grade curve, roughly the same number of As, Bs, etc every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Ok, I was just presuming they were made by the exam writers at the same time as the papers.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    They obviously will at some stage because they did it for the last few years, but I'm not sure at what stage they will post them up. I was under the impression that they made up the marking schemes at the same time as the leaving cert papers (I'm just presuming), so I don't see why the're not posted at the same time as the actual papers.

Obviously they will at some stage... but you wouldn't know whether they'd put them up right after they make them (which won't be untill all the exams and conferences are over) or wait untill closer to when the results are out. I'd say they'll probably leave it well into July/August before they publish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

they take a sample of a hundred papers and see how they should be marked going on how well the questions are answered...like that 96 hon maths q. that couldn't be answered cos the angles in the thingy added up to more than 360 degrees, they copped on they'd have to give everybody full marks after taking the sample of 100. they hadn't realised to make a correction, and everyone woulda been marked 0 otherwise. apparently everyone spent ages doing it and one guy in the whole country wrote 'this is wrong'. top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Yes, this is true. The marking schemes are finalised at the marking conferences (usually the first week in July). Sometimes the marking schemes are altered during the first 24 hours of correcting. Each examiner must correct 20 papers in the first 24 hours and report the number of A's, B's etc. If the Department are not happy with the breakdown of grades nationwide, they will alter the number of marks awarded to one or more question/s, so that it "fits into" the usual breakdown.

So, there won't be any marking schemes on the website til September at the earliest, as that is when they send them out to schools. Prob won't be on the site til Halloween or so. That's usually what they do.

Originally posted by Shamrok
    So, there won't be any marking schemes on the website til September at the earliest, as that is when they send them out to schools. Prob won't be on the site til Halloween or so. That's usually what they do.

Well, September 3rd is the date for viewing scripts, so I suppose they'll have the schemes in the school on that day. Only 83 days to go.... Oh Joy.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the day the scripts are viewable but when the Dapartment sends out the marking schemes for every exam to every school in the country, i.e. they can be kept by the teachers in the schools. Obviously, any teacher who corrects scripts will have the marking schemes from early July.

Well yeah, I meant that (unless you know a teacher who's correcting scripts) then the first time you're going to see it will be when you view your own scripts in September. Plus, I don't think the marking schemes are sent out to schools... I know they're not sent out to my school anyway.

Since 1997 the Leaving Cert marking schemes, and occasional Chief Examiner reports have been sent out to every school in the country (including yours!). They only enclose one copy of each level so teachers have to do a bit of photocopying with them.

Advertisement