Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav War stories/books

Options
  • 12-06-2004 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Whats you fave war stories, books? Heres some of mine.

Das boot
    Chickenhawk
    Thud Ridge
    The Forgotten Soldier
    Biggles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut (more anti-war though)

Also, whilst not a dedicated war book, there's a lot of great stuff about WW2 in Cryptonomicon by Neal Steaphenson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by simu

Also, whilst not a dedicated war book, there's a lot of great stuff about WW2 in Cryptonomicon by Neal Steaphenson

Sounds an interesting book. I'll have to read that one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440180295/104-3933120-0711168?v=glance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Flight of the Intruder - Stephen Coonts
    Sharpe's Triumph - Bernard Cornwell
    The 10,000 - Xenophon
    Jarhead - Anthony Swofford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

For non-fiction military history some really good reads just of the top of my head are

"The Face of Battle" by John Keegan

"Death's Men" (about life in the trenches in WWI) by Denis Winter

"An Intimate History of Killing" by Joanna Burke

"Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor

"The Sharp End" and "A Social History of the Machine Gun" by John Ellis

"Citizen Soldiers" and "D Day" by Stephen Ambrose

"Tank" by Patrick Wright

"Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket" by Richard Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Have to add "Why the West has Won, Culture and Carnage from Salamis to Vietnam" by Victor Davis Hanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I always liked Leon Uris's novels, most, if not all of them of them revolve around WWII.
    H.H. Kirst wrote some brilliant books aswell, The Gunner Asch ones were a good read.
    The Thin Red Line is well worth a read too imo

Agreed on both of those too.
    The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman is another great war book, albeit in a sci-fi backdrop.
    The Penguin Book of War is class to, Its a compendium of short stories, poems and excerpts about war from the ancient greeks up to modern times.

Advertisement