Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Yes" landslide

Options
  • 12-06-2004 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Exit-poll saying "76%" yes. Where did the "No" campaign fo wrong, or was it just the absence of a credible argument on their part? Where they too emotive and not factual enough?

I am delighted that the referendum has passed :D

I feel that the "No" campaign was always going to be up against this, giving widespread public discontent and resentment at the exploitation of the GFA to get citizenship. When the intention of the GFA was being used against the spirit of that agreemenr, we had no choice but to change the Constitution so that the spirit of the GFA would be more accurately embodied therein e.g. the Citizenship rights were intended to be for NI Nationalists, not illegals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    Where did the "No" campaign fo wrong, or was it just the absence of a credible argument on their part? Where they too emotive and not factual enough?
    You really need to read up on the tale of the Pot and his slanderous remarks made towards another kitchen appliance.
    Just because people voted Yes, doesn't make this decision the right one.
    But I'm sure you'll be happy, Ireland Uber Alles etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    [BWhen the intention of the GFA was being used against the spirit of that agreemenr, we had no choice but to change the Constitution so that the spirit of the GFA would be more accurately embodied therein e.g. the Citizenship rights were intended to be for NI Nationalists, not illegals. [/B]

Surely you meant nationals? ;)

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    You really need to read up on the tale of the Pot and his slanderous remarks made towards another kitchen appliance.
    But I'm sure you'll be happy, Ireland Uber Alles etc.

Now, now.
    No sour grapes please.

Yes it does. Remember, this is a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

hi frank :D

grapes01a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

76% of the voteing population (well those that turned up anyway) has spoken so it is the right decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect a small side bar on the difference between right and correct coming up!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

which was the right decision on nice then?

you knew someone would bring it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Exit-poll saying "76%" yes. Where did the "No" campaign fo wrong, or was it just the absence of a credible argument on their part? Where they too emotive and not factual enough?

The Yes crowd was certainly just as, if not more, emotive and not factual enough. I don't think many people understood what they were being asked to vote about at all tbh. But now the government has done its act of pretending to solve the non-nationals "problem" and it can forget about it until it become politically useful to bring it up again. What a wonderful land we live in. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by chewy
    you knew someone would bring it up :)
    I was just about to say that, but I guess that's different isn't it. The government decided that was the wrong way to vote.
    It's not sour grapes on my part btw, I've no vested interest in seeing this thing fail.
    It's a sad day for this country when our constitution can be changed without any real concrete reasoning as to why it needs to be done. Only anecdotal evidence and here-say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

two polls showing how much knowledge ppl had of the issues in the last week or so if the referendum i heard one from before the campaining started saying 71% didn;t know what it was about

i didn't think enough people knew about before and i still think that...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Samson
    Yes it does. Remember, this is a democracy.
    I fail to see how people voting through a change where no real evedience has been produced on why this change is needed is right.

right and wrong are only opinions

so, the opinion of the majority being yes, makes this amendment right

Originally posted by l3rian
    so, the opinion of the majority being yes, makes this amendment right
    And if the reasons given to vote yes were wrong/misleading (which I still believe the reasons given were) then how does it make the decision the right one?
    If 100 people tell 10 that black is white, does it make it true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Originally posted by Chewy
    which was the right decision on nice then?

To be fair, Chewy, the second Nice referendum wasn't quite the same as the first one. THe second one inserted a provision into the Irish Constitution requirinf the Irish Government to veto any Irish involvement in any EU common-defence policy. This addressed the main concerns of the voters that led to the first "No" vote, or rather addressed the concerns of a number sufficient to swing the vote to a "Yes"

And if the reasons given to vote yes were wrong/misleading (which I still believe the reasons given were) then how does it make the decision the right one?

wrong/misleading in your opinion, others had the opinion that the reasons given were right/notmisleading
    If 100 people tell 10 that black is white, does it make it true?

truth doesnt come into it, this is politics were public opinion is the judge of what is right and wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Waterford voted 80.9 19.0 in favour of the amendment

are we likely to see this trend through out the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

From the sounds of the tallymen, they are not watching it, as its too clear cut. Most are expecting more than 2:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Not surprised. A majority of each party was in favour.

FF were the only party who put up posters and canvassed for a Yes vote in my area.

SF and Labour were no where to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm incredibly disappointed at this. I went home yesterday to vote No, and spoke to both my parents about their votes. They both voted Yes, but each had a different reason why, neither being a correct reason. My father wanted to keep "the lazy black men" out, and my mother didn't want rich men buying passports. Where did these reasons come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Originally posted by Dudara
    They both voted Yes, but each had a different reason why, neither being a correct reason. My father wanted to keep "the lazy black men" out, and my mother didn't want rich men buying passports. Where did these reasons come from?

The point your mother made seems fair in the light of the Chen case. At the very least, her wealth was a reason cited by the European Court of Justice for her and her husband deriving EU-residency from her child - whom she was advised to give birth to by her own lawyer:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Actually I thought my mother had a very valid point and her concern was far more reasoned than my dad's. But neither of them seemed to realise that they were handing power for citzenship rights to the biggest crowd of crooks in the country.

Originally posted by l3rian
    truth doesnt come into it, this is politics were public opinion is the judge of what is right and wrong
    This is the constitution we're talking about. Changing the law of our land shouldn't be looked on like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Yes, and the constitution should be changed to however the people decide. A 76% majority speaks for itself really.

This is the constitution we're talking about. Changing the law of our land shouldn't be looked on like that.
    To be frank, neither should the views of perhaps three quarters of those that voted, that would be a substantial majority.
    If it was 51% your concerns might be understandable, but its looking like three quarters of those that voted disagree with your stance.
    I suggest you accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Earthman
    To be frank, neither should the views of perhaps three quarters of those that voted, that would be a substantial majority.
    If it was 51% your concerns might be understandable, but its looking like three quarters of those that voted disagree with your stance.
    I suggest you accept this.

3/4? It's looking far more like 4/5th's.

Citizenship Referendum Yes 79.29% No 20.71% After 2/34 Counts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Two more constituencies results in

Liemrick City and Monaghan. both voting yes. It is startihng to look like a ratio of 4:1 in favour of this ammendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It is a clear endorsement by the people for putting this question to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Meath the most emphatic Yes so far... 83.23% Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Originally posted by Cork
    It is a clear endorsement by the people for putting this question to them.

Ya think?

I don't think people were asked if they thought they needed the constitution changed

they were presented with it as a fait acompli and asked to accept or reject the proposed wording.

imho

Still sick as a parrot about the result though :( ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by ArthurDent
    I don't think people were asked if they thought they needed the constitution changed

Does that matter? The vast majority wanted the constitution changed, otherwise they would have voted NO. Whether or not we like the result does not matter.

Advertisement