Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6600 vs Sharp gx30

• 12-06-2004 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Right, i just stood on my 7650 and broke the screen. It was for the best because the keypad wasnt working too well, the battery life was rubbish and i had to turn it on by sliding a knife inside it. My experience over the last year with that abortion of a phone has left me with a bad taste in my mouth about the normally excellent nokia so im considering getting the gx30 for the megapixel camera.

I was planning to upgrade to the 6600 but vodafone dont have it till august. Apparently thats when their wap 2.0 network goes live. Can someone tell me what the advantage of wap 2.0 is as i know nothing about it?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the two phones. Should i buy a 6600 sim free to go for the sharp on an upgrade. Both have what i want (camera, bluetooth, java and video playback). Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've got my 6600 wednesday so i'll let you know how it is, luckily i'm o2 and they have wap2 support now so hopefully i'll be able to tell you something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have had the plessure of using both phone, along with the new 7610.. Obviously the only reason I am mentioning the 7610 is because of the megapixel camera and its been launched soon.

The 6600 and 7610 are quite similar in function with the main difference being the camera. Both can be used as mono MP3 players and both use the Symbian operating system that you would be used to from using the 7650 for so long.. The 6600 should have been out months ago really but has constantly been put back because of delays in lauching WAP 2.0. The 7610 has now been officially launched so I would expect that it will be launched at the same time as the 6600 and WAP 2.0. When exactly this is, I couldnt tell you exactly but it really needs to be soon.

The Gx30 has a megapixel camera and stereo MP3 player and is available now. However, it does use a heavily "optimised" GUI that you may find difficult to use after using the Series 60 OS for so long.

A word of warning about the 7610 though, it uses scalled down MMC media cards that are proprietry to Nokia. I am not sure if you will be able to buy cheaper third party alternatives for them, as it the case with the 6600..

The camera quality on both megapixel phones is very impressive though but the Gx30 just scrapes the win on quality. The screen of the GX30 is also the best I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've had a 6600 since christmas and I can't fault it. No it's not an MP3 player but it is a great phone. I had a SE P900 before it but sent it back as I must have had a faulty unit (and I didn't really like it anyway). Great to hear that vodafone are finally upgrading to WAP 2.0. Guess I won't be porting to meteor then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Both [nokias] can be used as mono MP3 players

Seriously? They're only mono??? Whats the point of that? Im looking at a symbian smart phone for my next phone or the GX30. If the mono bit is correct thats the Nokia's ruled out.

What about the SE P900? Is the mp3 player mono on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

:eek: 7610... mono MP3 players
    Ah bugger and there I was cooing over one :mad:
    Me thought they were stereo - wish nokia would wise up - revenues down ~20% - no wonder

• Advertisement

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    What about the SE P900? Is the mp3 player mono on that?

Nope. In fact you get a nice stereo headset with it.

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Seriously? They're only mono??? Whats the point of that? Im looking at a symbian smart phone for my next phone or the GX30. If the mono bit is correct thats the Nokia's ruled out.

Definely mono:

http://forums.mobileburn.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601

Hopefully Nokia will release some decent handsets after such poor results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

A word of warning about the 7610 though, it uses scalled down MMC media cards that are proprietry to Nokia. I am not sure if you will be able to buy cheaper third party alternatives for them...

just an FYI, they are called Reduced Size MultiMediaCards (RS-MMC) and were approved by the MultiMedia Card Association in Nov 2002. so there isn't anything proprietary to Nokia about RS-MMCs

support for RS-MMC cards is beginning to appear in devices, including the Nokia 7610, but they will be used in other devices by other manufacturers e.g. the Siemens S65 (as mentioned in this post)... with an adapter they can also be 'converted' to a full-size MMC card for use in existing (full-size) MMC slots

RS-MMS cards will be available from different manufacturers/vendors, the most recent news was ATP who were first to announce a 512MB RS-MMC card...

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    just an FYI, they are called Reduced Size MultiMediaCards (RS-MMC) and were approved by the MultiMedia Card Association in Nov 2002. so there isn't anything proprietary to Nokia about RS-MMCs

support for RS-MMC cards is beginning to appear in devices, including the Nokia 7610, but they will be used in other devices by other manufacturers e.g. the Siemens S65 (as mentioned in this post)... with an adapter they can also be 'converted' to a full-size MMC card for use in existing (full-size) MMC slots

RS-MMS cards will be available from different manufacturers/vendors, the most recent news was ATP who were first to announce a 512MB RS-MMC card...

BrianG

ah cool didnt know that, was told it was ploy on nokia's behalf. Glad it is not the case then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thanks for the replies.

I read somewhere that the gx30 has a lot of features disabled by default (even sim free) and this handicaps the phone slightly, anyone know anything about that?

Also, where would i get a 6600 cheap on the net? (no idea what sites sell mobiles)

• Advertisement

The cheapest I have found recently is www.mobilefun.co.uk. They are generally quite good in previous experiences.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I read somewhere that the gx30 has a lot of features disabled by default

as Bluetooth is on your list of requirements, be aware the initial GX-30 Bluetooth qualification only supported the Headset (although it's latest has been updated to include Serial support) however the Sharp site currently states it has Bluetooth Headset support only - the Mobile Burn GX-30 review (check it for a good hands on review with the handset) also only mentions Bluetooth Headset support -

the Bluetooth capability of the 6600 would be far (far) superior - plus you would also be sticking with the Series 60 OS and all that offers with 3rd party apps etc...

BrianG

The cheapest I have found recently is www.mobilefun.co.uk. They are generally quite good in previous experiences.

someone mentioned (back in March) that they weren't taking Irish orders for handsets - haven't ordered handsets from them only accessories which arrived grand before and after that was posted...
    Also, where would i get a 6600 cheap on the net?

have ordered from these in the past:
    www.mphone.co.uk
    www.livetelecom.com
    www.expansys.com (which can be cheaper than www.expansys.ie)

BriaNG

Great info, thanks a lot guys. Now i just gotta figure out if i really want to shell out 400 quid for a phone or struggle on with no texts till august :/

yay, just bought myself a birthday present of one from vodafone for 250 notes:)

Phone seems great but i have a few questions.

How do i transfer old messages and old ringtones from my 7650 to the 6600 (bearing in mind that i only have one sim card)

can you not backup the 7650 to a PC and then restore it to the 6600?

Thats what I did when I was changing from my 6310i to the 6600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

yay, just bought myself a birthday present of one from vodafone for 250 notes:)

Did you get it directly from them or from a Vodafone retail outlet?

I rang 1907 yesterday to ask about availability of the 6600 and was told that the shops had them, but that they weren't making them available until at least next week due to problems with the WAP 2.0 gateway.:confused:

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Did you get it directly from them or from a Vodafone retail outlet?

I rang 1907 yesterday to ask about availability of the 6600 and was told that the shops had them, but that they weren't making them available until at least next week due to problems with the WAP 2.0 gateway.:confused:

Last I heard was that it went live early this week but there was a few teething problems.. Guessing they wanna make sure all is well before they start letting people spend big bucks on handsets..

Advertisement