Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Tech Drawing.

Options
  • 12-06-2004 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Could someone please advice to me how I can do the interpenitration question in 45 minutes? It takes me an hour to do it, and I only have 45 minutes to do a question in the exam.

Also if someone is doing paper 2.b could direct me to a site or something that tells you how to do the shadow question and question 4? haven't really revised paper 2.b.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

You cannot do the interpenetration question in 45 minutes. It's impossible.. unless you are incredibly fast. You can generally get one done in around 55 minutes to an hour. You will still have time though as Q1 and Q5 shouldn't take more than a half hour. Q5 (combined movements) especially.

As for Q4 paper 2 I'm not doing it, there's two possible questions that can come up in that slot, translated surfaces and hyperboloid of revolution. TBH, I can't be arsed revising two topics just for one question. As for the shadow question, my teacher didn't even go over it in class and said it was a waste of time. It's supposed to take aaages.

Questions I'm planning on doing:

Paper 1 - Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5

Paper 2 - Q1, Q2, Q5, Q6

P2 Q5 (mining geometry) is soo easy, you can get this done in 25 mins and I suggest you start paper 2 off with that question. P1 Q1 (planes) is just as easy really, unless they give a difficult part (c) bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I actually find Q5 the hardest question there, it's just that I can't get my head around it. Any tips or sites? the book doesn't really explain it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

If your running low on time, dont do Perspective Q1 - takes way too long and if you make a mistake, it takes ages to correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

Loci or combined movements has to be one of the easiest questions on the paper. That and area conversion. Each of those questions should not take longer then 20 minutes each. Im taking a risk with perspective cause it really takes ages to do. I hate interpenetration, im just avoiding it

Which question of which paper is combined movements?

• Advertisement

Its question 5 on Paper 1. I love Loci its so easy in my opinion. I wish some of the questions in the papers were switched around. I always end up finishing Paper 1 very early

Ah yes, that question. It's easy, but I wouldn't say its very easy. They could totally botch it up by making the circle go up and down some bumps.

I won't be doing that question. Will be doing in paper 1: Q 1,2,3,4 and in paper 2b Q 1,4,5,6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If your running low on time, dont do Perspective Q1 - takes way too long and if you make a mistake, it takes ages to correct.

Yeah, but considaring the amount of lines that have to be done in perspective, if you get one or two wrong, you're only talking a few marks loss at most...

the problem with perspective is that if you get the setup wrong its very hard to correct it if you realise you've made the mistake half way throught the question. pat will go mental at you if you dont do LOCI!!!

Originally posted by stuey
    the problem with perspective is that if you get the setup wrong its very hard to correct it if you realise you've made the mistake half way throught the question. pat will go mental at you if you dont do LOCI!!!
    Who's Pat? :confused: Anyways, I just don't like the question, although it's easy, I prefer to do the first four :)

• Advertisement

Pat is My and Mutant Fruits tech teacher.

Ah right, makes more sense. Looking back at the past area conversion questions, they look hard enough, don't think I'll be doing Q. 2 after all. Probably will replace it with either Q5 or Q7

AREA CONVERSION HARD?? ROFLMAO.

I got the mock area conversion question done in under 10 minutes, and when we did a second mock, i had that one done even faster! Area conversion is the easiest and fastest question on the paper without a doubt.

There is no way your teacher could have not done that with you, and if he did, you have one ****e teacher! Doing area conversion leaves you with at least 30 mins extra to use on the longer questions...

hate to say it but hes right. area conversion is a piece of cake. you can end up getting a lot of very valuable extra time from doing are conversion

Yes, he is ****e, he couldn't control the class, so we just messed all during class, meaning I couldn't concentrate nor do any work. As opposed to the good teacher in our school, whenever you're in the class, nobody talks or messes, but they're doing paper 2.a. I don't like the look of 2.a tbh.

Originally posted by stuey
    hate to say it but hes right. area conversion is a piece of cake. you can end up getting a lot of very valuable extra time from doing are conversion
    Well tbh, I don't like the way they word the question. Look at 2001's question part (b).

"Redraw the quadrilateral ABCD on a seperate diagram. On the diagram draw a triangle similar to ADE, having one vertex at C and the other two vertices on the sides AB and AD respectively."

Sounds very ****ing awkward, and when they do that I I wouldn't have a clue what it's on about.

well similar just means that the triangle doesn;t have to be the smae size but all the angles have to be the same. so put one corner of the new triangle at corner C and then by using loci find where the other 2 corners should lie on the two ther lines

ah right, makes a bit more sense now. Thanks for the tip.

OK, I've a question. In the integration question, when there is a square or triangle stuck in something in the plan, and then you label the points of the square or triangle. In the elevation, how do you know which side is which? That's the only part where i get stuck on.

could you do up a picture in paint? or tell us a question number in the papers that we can look at. I can't explain without being able to see the picture.

• Advertisement

Here's the 2001 one. Teacher doesn't explain it well. :dunno:

You can tell easily enough where to draw the sides by looking at the picture on plan and noting which line is broken on elevation.

Well, I'm graphically inept :). I always got it wrong when I was doing these questions, it got so frustrating.

I'll try to explain as best I can :)

Ya know when you've got the distances from one side to the other two sides? Well the best advice I can give you is to experiment with your compass until it looks right. You are given the highest side on PLAN in this question. This means you will have distances on your compass of the lower two sides. The shortest distance between the two in this case would be the middle side and the longer one would be the lowest side.

Crappy explanation I know but it's the best I can do :)

Ok, here we go (see my edited picture to know what i'm babbling about)

In plan, the first edge you see is AD (i just assumed that was a straight line for convience). Therefore in elevation that is going to be the heavy part of the triangle, that edge is the visible one.

The line CF is the furthest away one in plan, and is behind the house thingy, so in elevation that is going to be the dashed line (CF). You know this because in the drawing that was given to you, CF is dashed in the elevation, and is behind the house in plan. It is also the last edge you ses of the triangle, so that also tells you it is likeyl to be hidden

The line BE is obviously the apex of the triangular shape, and so is also a visible line in elevation.

And just a general hint about interpenetration. Its a hell of a lot easier to deal with the visible lines first, and then the hidden lines.
    e.g. when working out the actual points of penetration, first use just the visible lines, and show the visible points of penetration, and then use the hidden lines, and show the hidden points of penetration.

Originally posted by Swifty
    I'll try to explain as best I can :)

Ya know when you've got the distances from one side to the other two sides? Well the best advice I can give you is to experiment with your compass until it looks right. You are given the highest side on PLAN in this question. This means you will have distances on your compass of the lower two sides. The shortest distance between the two in this case would be the middle side and the longer one would be the lowest side.

Crappy explanation I know but it's the best I can do :)

thats a lot of sides :p vey confusing, but i don't think my explanation is much better, but then againn, i do have a drawing :p

EDIT: the line AD in elevation should have been heavy in that image, i forgot to fix that mistake you made :p Just refer to the origional drawing aswell.

That helped alot mutant_fruit, thanks. I think you put the a,b,c's in the wrong place in Elevation, it's supposed to be on the triangle not the house, but I could still follow it, thanks.

as long as you understand what i mean, thats OK.

But i'm pretty sure they are in the right place...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Perspective should only take 30 minutes if you have the right method. Extend all the lines in the plan out to the edge, then extend all the points up at once, then you don't need to use the plan anymore. Just use a stairway method. No way should that question take more than 45 minutes

• Advertisement

extending all the points at once is asking for confusion. Extend them up as you need them. it might take a bit longer, but it'll also make it a lot easier for you to do the question.

Advertisement