Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-Values

Options
  • 12-06-2004 6:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to do them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

How do you mean "know how to do them"? For physics, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

(Unbanned at last \o/)

The ones that were on the mock paper, right? I didn't know then and still don't know how to do them, although people doing construction all say that they're really really easy.

Anyone think they might come up? I dont even recall doing them at all during school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Building Construction. It's for my friend. It is the only thing she can't do, or figure out. Her teacher doesnt know how either.

If they work for physics that will do as well...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I...pretty much skimmed over that. No idea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The U-value of a substance is the amount of heat energy conducted through 1 square metre of the substance when a temperature difference of 1 degree is maintained between its ends. That's for physics, I think that's the definition, something like that anyway. Is that what you're talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It could well be. I'll tell her you said that. Thanks.

If anyone else has any suggestions just incase, I'd be mighty grateful! lol.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I'll post an account of how to do u-values tomorrow... Cant do it now, cos i've got to have a SSS and split out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    The U-value of a substance is the amount of heat energy conducted through 1 square metre of the substance when a temperature difference of 1 degree is maintained between its ends. That's for physics, I think that's the definition, something like that anyway. Is that what you're talking about?

That's only the definition... she probably needs the applications - there are questions based on calculating the u-values of structures - we did them in physics, but I don't think they're on the syllabus. Google them and you'll probably find examples/a guide.

That's a damn good idea! Thanks!

http://www.engr.uga.edu/service/extension/publications/extengrhndbk/Environmental%20control/Calculating%20Heat%20Loss%20or%20Gain.pdf

Would you lookie what I found. Man is the net resourceful! Thanks for the good idea!

Edit, that doesnt work. www.google.ie and "calculating U-values" gets you a wonderful pdf that shows you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Pull out your Mock paper, and just look at the definintion of the U-Value

Its like Wm-2k-1 or somethin, then just get your formula fro that.

Work Done x Area(Inversed) x Change Temp.(Inversed)

It think thats it but you get the picture how to figure it out anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~abbeynet/const_uvalues.htm

Answers from papers in 1986 up to 2000.

The mock U-value question was a load of bollox, well the one I got anyways. There was something about the Render and the Plaster having the same Resistance or something, and everyone was unsure whether to put the .19 down for each, or count the plaster and render as one.

I dont think anyone in my class came out with the same answer as others.

Advertisement