Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seamus conboy (leaving cert reports)

Options
  • 12-06-2004 8:11pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey,
    is it just me or does seamus conboy, the 6th year student who rights for the irish times Depress anyone else,

he act's all high and mighty and looks down his nose at other's finding the paper's hard or dificult,

He went on on friday boasting how the irish paper should have been a dodle cause "i go to a geal scoil for pity's sake"....

does anyone find this helpfull?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

He does seem a bit pretentious, but he is better than the one in the Irish Independent. Plus, given that he has to write them (or bits of them at least) during the exams is probably fairly tough. Having to study for the next days exam *and* write that column. I don't think people read those columns for encouragement - generally they pick the high achievers - the ones who are bound to think most of the exams are simple and beneath them.

But yeah, generally a pretentious git like they are every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

It's tough for us mere mortals to live up to the image of people like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

hes a fat ugly bastard. if i ever meet him im gonna punch him in the face.

Originally posted by nesthead

At last, an objective view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Originally posted by nesthead

haha brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

haha i know the guy. you would be doing a lot of people a favour im guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I dont really think him saying that irish would be easy cos he went to a gaelscoil is boasting, since it clearly would be easier for him, its really just more of a statement.
    Are you meant to find it helpful anyway?

Originally posted by snickerpuss
    I dont really think him saying that irish would be easy cos he went to a gaelscoil is boasting, since it clearly would be easier for him, its really just more of a statement.
    Are you meant to find it helpful anyway?

I don't think it's meant to be 'helpful' but it's not really a representative view of the average Leaving Cert student, either, but parents and the populace at large are being presented with this high achiever who's managing to combine studying with keeping up sport and writing the column and being generally positive with perhaps a teeny bit of arrogance and/or pretension at times... which is not the typical experience. It's playing down a lot of the stress and tension that most students endure, as well as things like self-doubt, frustration, and even general laziness - and it plays down the difficulty of some of the exams as well.

And *then* they go and print the horribly-spelled grammar-and-punctuation-free comments from people on the skoool.ie forums, implying that it's only the people who can barely string a sentence together that find the exams a bit tricky and stressful.

So not 'helpful' in that it's inspiring, but not exactly helpful in terms of accurately portraying the whole exam-thing, y'know?

Apparently he doesn't even write the thing himself... look at the "interviewed by" at the end of his latest masterpiece

In the Saturday edition he said that he finds the prison drama 'Oz' on TG4 'compulsive watching'. Ya gotta give him points for pop culture coolness, although Six Feet Under is on at the same time and is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Apparently he doesn't even write the thing himself... look at the "interviewed by" at the end of his latest masterpiece

so he's a liar on top of it all?

he should be tared and fethered....
    how do we know he's doing his leaving cert at all?

i Demand to see his exam number!

Originally posted by David Lynch
    In the Saturday edition he said that he finds the prison drama 'Oz' on TG4 'compulsive watching'. Ya gotta give him points for pop culture coolness, although Six Feet Under is on at the same time and is better.

Yeah, he references The Simpsons an awful lot, which I approve of, even if his excessive enthusiasm for every subject and regret about finishing Irish get on my nerves.

At least he doesn't feel compelled to use variations of the word 'apathy' as Daire Hickey is so fond of using in every second sentence of his articles :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by claire h
    Yeah, he references The Simpsons an awful lot, which I approve of, even if his excessive enthusiasm for every subject and regret about finishing Irish get on my nerves.

trust me ,
    the guy in general get's on my nerves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

I don't think it's meant to be 'helpful' but it's not really a representative view of the average Leaving Cert student, either, but parents and the populace at large are being presented with this high achiever who's managing to combine studying with keeping up sport and writing the column and being generally positive with perhaps a teeny bit of arrogance and/or pretension at times... which is not the typical experience. It's playing down a lot of the stress and tension that most students endure, as well as things like self-doubt, frustration, and even general laziness - and it plays down the difficulty of some of the exams as well.

Spot-on.

The exam diary is extremely useless, and it only puts more pressure on the average student. I read it a few times, but quickly stopped.

He's rather irritating, anyway. (Actually, scratch "rather".)

Then again, a useless invention from the The Irish Times... Who could have guessed?

A quote from today's exam diary, with Mr Conboy trying to be hip and with it:

"I intend to use my week off to learn the entire physics syllabus, but no doubt I will end up spending it drinking cider and goofing about. I'm counting on everyone else doing the same and the examiners following a principle of grade quotas. If we're all rubbish, then the least rubbish among us will get As. Right?"

Yes, but Seamus, dear, you've no credibility as a slacker at this stage. People who say things like "I justified her regional divisions with relish" and throw French phrases in randomly can't get away with acting as though they're actually the sort of person who could bring themselves to sacrifice physics-learning for alcohol, I'm afraid.

Yeah, and I'm sure he will be drinking his lovely 'cider' all by his lonesome.

And what sane teenager says they drink cider? If at all its disgusting bulmers...

Advertisement