Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2..not so private

Options
  • 12-06-2004 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

i was just looking around on the o2 website lastnite

i just opened my account to see if there was any offers going etc

i hardly ever use the site....but i opened my personal account and what i didnt know was that every call you make and every txt you send is recorded online!

thing i didnt understand is , is that im ready to go...not bill!!!

i dont like that fact that my mates numbers etc are recorded on it.

anything you can do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Teddi
    i was just looking around on the o2 website lastnite

i just opened my account to see if there was any offers going etc

i hardly ever use the site....but i opened my personal account and what i didnt know was that every call you make and every txt you send is recorded online!

thing i didnt understand is , is that im ready to go...not bill!!!

i dont like that fact that my mates numbers etc are recorded on it.

anything you can do about it?

I miss the problem here.. If only you have your passwords whats the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭J-537

Yeah thats the same as mine on my Meteor RTG - I'd say all the networks do this !

But like jesus_thats_gre says once you keep your password to your-self you've nothing to worry about - the only other people who know those numbers are your network - no big deal man :cool: ................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I know of at least two people cheating on their SOs who were caught because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well eircom also keep record, for example the itemised bill.....which is delivered via post.....which isn't very secure either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Ooooh big brother is watching you.

Chill out man, it's not like there isn't loads of other government bodies and private companies with loads of information about you anyway.

It's the age we live in and I'm sure it will get alot worse in the future.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Verdammt
    Ooooh big brother is watching you.

Chill out man, it's not like there isn't loads of other government bodies and private companies with loads of information about you anyway.

It's the age we live in and I'm sure it will get alot worse in the future.

Yeah the above - "We'll all be dead for millions of years" go and enjoy your-self ;)

Wait till those chips come into play ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Does it show what you wrote in the text or just say the time/date and recipient? Does it include webtexts? My account thing won't work.

Well it doesn't show you the context of your text - but they could be able to store your text message somewere ? :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Well yeah they could but considering how many texts are sent each day the databanks would have to be unfeasabely large to hold the info for more than a day.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The government is threatening (and intent on) making every mail server record the mail it sends for 5 years. This would include Boards.ie's supporters mails for example as well as, say, all mail sent through eircom.

That would dwarf the database needed for text message. needless to say we wont be complying for a number of reasons... not least of which is the optical disk arrays we'd need to store all that mail.

DeV.

Originally posted by J-537
    Well it doesn't show you the context of your text - but they could be able to store your text message somewere ? :dunno:

I bet they store the text's in the same machine they use for reading your thought's !!!

Originally posted by Verdammt
    I bet they store the text's in the same machine they use for reading your thought's !!!

WOW can they do that now - I THOUGHT that system wasn't out for another few years - :rolleyes:

WOW can they do that now - I THOUGHT that system wasn't out for another few years - :rolleyes:

That's what "They" want you to think !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Well yeah they could but considering how many texts are sent each day the databanks would have to be unfeasabely large to hold the info for more than a day.

It wouldn't have to be too large, as a .txt file containing 160 characters is only 160 bytes. i.e. 1 byte per character. With cheap 200gb hdd available it wouldn't be that hard to store all the txt messages sent...ever.

Yeah thats like 12,500,000,000 text messages if everyone sent 160 chars ones. That is quite a lot of messages. + Compression will half its size if not more due to the same words being repeated over and over again. Storage space is not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 knicker

That's a strict violation of the Data Protection Act and isn't done. The only way that this information could be obtained would be if the Gardai obtained a warrant. This warrant is the same needed to tap phones. Last time I talked to a Garda regarding these issues in my last place there hadn't been one issued in over 7 years. So, nothing to worry about unless you're breaking the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by knicker
    So, nothing to worry about unless you're breaking the law!

and they know about your activities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Well put it like this:
    You only have the password.
    If you make a call or get a call and lose the number its very handy!

And don't worry your not important enough to have someone trying to find out about your mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes, but it can be easy to crack the password of somebody close to you. Furthermore the only password required to access parts of the Speakeasy site is your date of birth!

• Advertisement

well the part of the site to recover a password is not workin for the last while cause mine is lost and i'm too lazy to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I read in some newspaper before that ALL phone conversations are recorded and stored for a number of years. That's how they were able to find out who was involved in the Omagh bombings, they were able to go through the phone calls made that day.

So if they keep all phone conversations you can bet that every text message is stored somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're obliged to hold all of your billing data for 6 months (or is that they *only* allowed hold your billing data for 6 months?).

Either way, they do it, and record your texts for 6 months, so this is just a handy thing the operators have implemented for cutomers, seeing as they've the data stored anyway.

I find it very very handy to keep a track of how badly my costs are spiralling out of control this month.

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    I read in some newspaper before that ALL phone conversations are recorded and stored for a number of years. That's how they were able to find out who was involved in the Omagh bombings, they were able to go through the phone calls made that day.

So if they keep all phone conversations you can bet that every text message is stored somewhere.

Just re-read this and it's not clear, but what I was saying is that the actual recording of your conversation is kept :eek: Well that's what I was led to believe anyway

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Anyone got the link to that 'The stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say' thread handy please?

Originally posted by Tazzle
    Anyone got the link to that 'The stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say' thread handy please?

Ok. maybe I took it up wrong, but they do keep a record of your location when making calls...

"The mobile network Orange revealed in March 2001 that it retains for six
    months information on customers' locations when making or
    receiving calls - passing it on when obliged by law. The company
    refused to discuss the matter further. Other mobile phone
    agencies - Vodafone, BT Cellnet, and One2One in the North; O2,
    Meteor and Vodafone in the South - admit to doing the same."

I searched Google and found it on http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=7349&print_page=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

IFSA are asking major financial companies to record all telephone conversations but thats a totally unrelated thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

In order for you to make a call the network's systems must know where you are (i.e. what Cell you are in) so it can route(/switch) the call to you, so obviously if they have record of your calls then they have record of your location at the time.

How specific that location is however can vary - i.e. if you are in a city center they will know much more specificly as cells cover smaller areas as they need to handle more calls in a smaller area. However, in sparsely populated areas(countryside) the location they have for you would be likely to be more general.

Faltermyer is spot on!

but what even more worryng is that all o2 billing goes thru an israeli billing company! so your phone call records are inb tel-aviv too.

i have the link some where but the site/company in question openly admits it!

• Advertisement

Advertisement