Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Miss-haps!

Options
  • 12-06-2004 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Was ready to do the Irish aural the other day at 4.30, but when the envelope was opened, it was the wrong papers. Had to send for the gardai to get the right exam. was 5.30 by the time we did the exam, 6.10pm when we finished. What wrecked my head was we were not allowed to move or talk or anything, had to sit in the stuffy room for an hour in complete silence. We were all falling asleep by the time it came around! Luckily enough it was a fairly handy exam!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The start of our aural was hilarious. She played the tape to test the volume, everyone was happy, so she goes to start it and some builders start drilling outside the window. Took 10 minutes to get them to stop. We were talking the whole time though, your examiner must of been a bit uptight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I left my phone in my pocket on vibrate (not the first time either...) and someone texted me. Of course it made a loud *bzz*. The supervisor just looked at me, and i continued on. THen she came over and asked me if i needed to go to the toilet, so i took the hint and dropped my phone off outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

My mis-hap was my own, I dunno why but I kept spelling whether as wether, in my ENGLISH exam! The corrector is gonna have a laugh with that! I think it will lose me about 2-3 % :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I kept making annoying mistakes in English too. One that I remember was spelling as well as 'aswell'. My english teacher kicked my ass because of that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Bar having a smelly hippie for an examener the worst thing we've had so far was lashings of rain during the aural on the tin roof. Everyone could hear the tape fine, but she said she'd write down there was a distraction anyway. :D

yeay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

So getting an easier marking is the worst thing to happen to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

writing my macbeth essay i was saying what i was writing, well so i thought, when i read back over it i missed out a few words and ran out of time to put them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by oeNeo
    I kept making annoying mistakes in English too. One that I remember was spelling as well as 'aswell'. My english teacher kicked my ass because of that.
    I'm glad I discovered boards well after I'd done my leaving.
    Now when I write with a pen, I constantly make the same mistakes as I'd make when typing.
    For example, I have actually written "teh". A few times. The only reason you make this mistake when typing is because you are going a little too fast. There is no good reason when you're hand writing... :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Originally posted by seamus

For example, I have actually written "teh". A few times. The only reason you make this mistake when typing is because you are going a little too fast. There is no good reason when you're hand writing... :dunno:

Power of persuasion..............
    You know teh is the, and your brain ignores the mistake. Its done it sooo many times now, it considers both to be correct. :confused:

Originally posted by funky penguin
    You know teh is the, and your brain ignores the mistake. Its done it sooo many times now, it considers both to be correct. :confused:
    I get what you mean, but I don't think so. "teh" will still stand out a mile when I read any post, especially my own. Although it is possible that "teh" has become a natural synonym for "the" in my 'internal dictionary', as you describe, even though I know it's not correct....:dunno:

• Advertisement

what are you doin up at this hour?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Having to leave the poetry section blank becayse none of my poets came up was purty bad....and leaving out section C of question 1 on the maths paper by accident ( IT WAS REALLY EASY )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Probably repeatedly calling "John Steinbeck" "George Steinbeck" and "George" "John" in my english comparative question. Luckily I spotted it with about 2 mins to go, I *think* I fixed all of them. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

OH ****! I forgot , For the unseen english poem I was waffling on about the American indians being a dieing race and she wanted them to be remembed. When I had finished I looked at the question again and it said "AFRICAN AMERICANS" not bloody "AMERICAN INDIANS" I had to rewrite the whole thing LOL!

Not so much a "mishap" really, but halfway through my Silas Marner question for the single text on english, paper 2, I realised that the other question (the one on Revloe being a great place to live) is one I had prepared before and would have been alot easier than the one on love which I was half-way through. Really fecked up the rest of the paper for me. Especially with no Dickinson. That was probably my biggest mishap - relying on one poet to come up.

Originally posted by funky penguin
    what are you doin up at this hour?!?!
    When you're not an LC student you get to drink a lot of beer and stay out AAAALLLLL night! :D

ouch my head :(

When you're not an LC student you get to drink a lot of beer and stay out AAAALLLLL night! :D

Where as the LC students get to stay up just as late drinking loads of coffee and studying AAAALLLLL night. Joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Originally posted by Tusky
    Having to leave the poetry section blank becayse none of my poets came up was purty bad....and leaving out section C of question 1 on the maths paper by accident ( IT WAS REALLY EASY )

WHAT?

It was patrick kavanaghs century this year (he was born in 1904)

It was Ger Manly Hopkins last year on the course, and he hadnt come up till this year so there was no excuse for studying one of those.

The two of them came up :)

Originally posted by Jammer
    Was ready to do the Irish aural the other day at 4.30, but when the envelope was opened, it was the wrong papers. Had to send for the gardai to get the right exam.

What happened to the superintendent getting two people to sign and date the package to show that it was the right exam, the right date and the right time? Three people have to inspect it (including the superintendant) before he/she even goes to open it. Not to mention the fact that all the packages are colour coded and have labels all over the place with the proper time/date for opening them. You must have some retard of a super.

It was patrick kavanaghs century this year (he was born in 1904)

It was Ger Manly Hopkins last year on the course, and he hadnt come up till this year so there was no excuse for studying one of those.

The two of them came up :)

It was also Plaths second year in a row to be asked. Just shows that you shouldn't take risks like that with any paper. I took a risk with Dickinson, and wrote a half-assed Hopkins essay. There's no point telling him about what he should've studied now that the exam's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by subway_ie
    What happened to the superintendent getting two people to sign and date the package to show that it was the right exam, the right date and the right time? Three people have to inspect it (including the superintendant) before he/she even goes to open it. Not to mention the fact that all the packages are colour coded and have labels all over the place with the proper time/date for opening them. You must have some retard of a super.

Sub_way, the label might be right, the package might be the right colour, the date and time might be right, but that's still no guarantee that the contents of the package are correct.

The day I was collecting my papers from the distribution centre, there was another teacher beside me checking to make sure she had the right papers, etc. She said to me "But how do I know that I have the correct tape inside the envelope?" My answer: "You don't until you open it!"

Mistakes do happen - another centre in the school where I'm supervising ended up with less papers in the package than what was written on the label for an exam on Friday.

Its not the superintendants fault if the contents of the package are wrong.

Im not an LC student and i dont get up to as much senanigans as when i was one.....

Originally posted by Delphi91
    Sub_way...Its not the superintendants fault if the contents of the package are wrong.

Yup, I probably shouldn't have assumed it was the superintendents fault. But whoever it was, they were a bit of a retard to let it happen. Just out of curiosity: where are these distribution centres? I thought all the papers were sent out by SDS, like the big metal boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Isn't it Athlone? At least that's where the corrected scripts are collected as far as I know.

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    Isn't it Athlone? At least that's where the corrected scripts are collected as far as I know.

Wouldn't that be a bit stupid though? Making all the superintendents travel to Athlone to collect scripts? And does that mean they have to keep them with them untill the exam? I don't think there's any packages in the box thingy where she keeps all the answer books and log tables and stuff. Big fecker of a padlock on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

WHAT?

same with Mr. Mahon aswell.

Advertisement