Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

Options
  • 13-06-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good notes on glaciation (and sea erosion)?

Mine are a bit crappy, and are unlikely to get me over a B2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I got a good enough grade with these in the mocks (B I think)

http://boards.ie/members/neo/glaciation.rtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

those notes aren't veery detailed at all! Is that all you wrote in the mock, or did you pad them out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    those notes aren't veery detailed at all! Is that all you wrote in the mock, or did you pad them out?

Isn't that the whole point of notes - they're supposed to be short and concise, you only expand on them when you're doing the exam. Key words/phrases, "triggers".

Nah I expanded on them

well, i meant they are lacking details and key words that my notes have such as...

Compaction: this is when the snow that falls in the corrie compresses due to its own weight, and begins to form ice known as firn EDIT: i supose you did cover this point, but you called firn "neve".

No mention of Basal Sapping which is when freeze-thaw action works on the base of the glacier

No mention of Bergschrund which is the material that falls to the ground at the back of the corrie when the glacier begins to tear away and move downhill

No mention of rotational slip (which is what causes the bergschrund)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

i wonder if i use them will they get me some marks as i dont no much about Glaciation!

Mutant if you have any notes on your pc will you upload them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Just so ya know a bergshund is actually the *space* that is left behind and the glacier begins to be pulled out from its seat.

damn, that would explain why i never got full marks when i tried explaining bergschrund.... i wonder why my feckin teacher didn;t point that out before.

Thanks for the tip.

As for geog notes, i'll scan in what i have now (have to go to neighbours to do it). Expect em in about an hour, unless i decide to have dinner soon :p

LOL wtf do you live, in the middle of the bog of allen or somethin!!!!

;thinks of australian simpsons episode and breaks down in histerics! , thanks!

• Advertisement

rofl, now that i read it back, it does sound strange...

Let me explain... i'm still in my pj's :p Havn;t bothered getting dressed yet. And i'm still working up the energy to do it.

Leave me alone!

/me hides

can't get the stuff scanned in. sorry. If only if i had been asked earlier :(

stupid triple post....

Anyway, can i get some quick revision notes on tracing the history of settlement. I;ve lost my notes on the points to look out for.

Basically all i need is a little list like the following

Stone Age/Bronze age: 50000 years ago; fullact fia, burial grounds.

Celts: 500 years ago castles, placenames such as Baile/bally etc.

I know those are wrong, but i need the right ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Corona

pre-christian: megalithic tombs, fulacht fias, dolmens, stone circle, standing stone
    Early christian: High cross, round tower, towns beginning with kill-, Cil-, Well-
    Norman: bridging points, castles, tower houses, churches,
    Plantation: Towns with landlords name - Charlestown etc. Market house, diamond, desmesne

Think theyre the main ones but haven't learned that yet so sorry if I've eliminated some.

Is learning 3 essays (Division of Italy, Division of Spain and Fieldwork) narrowing geography course down too much to get a B???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i just did fieldwork , went over mapwork and ariel photo , Italy + France ! Im looking for B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 V3003

is italy considered an eastern european country??

I doubt it :S

Hum France and glaciation better come up, or at least Spain but I know France much more

YEAY GO France maybe they will come up cause they just won?

YEAY GO France maybe they will come up cause they just won?

Hahah

Anyway Im the same, France and glaciaion, PLEAAASEE.

I'm sure the majority of you are happy cos both France and Glaciation came up. I, however, am still wallowing in self-pity. No Italy. No Spain. No Norway. Forced to do core/periphery.
    No physical geography studied in our class, had to do aerial photograph which wasn't the nicest.
    There goes the B1 I was hoping for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Yeah ffs. BTW, please tell my that was a HEP station in then bottom right corner of the photo :confused: The part (iii) of the arial photo was grand though

• Advertisement

Erm, not sure. Educated guess anyways!

Yeah part (iii) was fine. Shame about part (i).

Screwed over with Dickinson and now Regional Division. I have bad omens about history tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Originally posted by popinfresh
    Yeah ffs. BTW, please tell my that was a HEP station in then bottom right corner of the photo :confused: The part (iii) of the arial photo was grand though

Im not sure what the hell it is, but i wrote somesort of a dam...

What was your first reason? some people wrote about the bridges, but silly me had to write about concrete river bed between the bridges.(?)

Well atleast they gave 30 marks for the sketch. Plus, i did well on france and glaciers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

i said that the trees planted upstream hold the soil together with thir extensive root system at times of flood.

I also waffled about the damn thing on the bottom right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

i said that thing was another bridge!!!

i also said the little platform just after the top bridge were the boats were was a modification.

Handy enough paper I thought, although my question 1 was pretty damn bad. I just forgot what to say. Part c was really complete and utter waffle. I forgot the dates/era's of the Celts/Normans etc. too :/ Oh well, no more geog \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Originally posted by Berger
    i said that the trees planted upstream hold the soil together with thir extensive root system at times of flood.

I also waffled about the damn thing on the bottom right

The way i understood the question was "What the people do which affects the river", so i dint write about the tress planted to prevent soil erosion. I didnt write about the bridges because i thought that it doesnt really affect the river.

The thingy might be a water treatment plant, cause it is refered in here:ballina

Maybe someone might want to call balina tourist information centre and ask what is it:
    info centre gives the following:

[Snip]
    Contact Manager
    Phone 096 70848
    Address Cathedral Road
    [Snip]

I might give a call...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Ah well, i just said the water levels look to be different on each side. It could have been anything really as far as we're concerned, I hope they don't deduct marks if it wasn't a damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Does anyone know what the story with the two rail stations beside eachother was, one of them wasn't connected to the rail line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Originally posted by popinfresh

It wasn't a HEP, its another bridge. I'm from Ballina and was delighted with this map.
    Also the other train station it just nothing, I don't know were they got that from, but the map is quite old, as all the new development in the town was not there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Skyuser
    Also the other train station it just nothing

Well feck that. They can change the marking scheme to account for the inaccuracy.

No way a student not from Ballina could have known it didn't exist.

(too many double negatives?)

Advertisement