Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Originally posted by Skyuser
    It wasn't a HEP, its another bridge. I'm from Ballina and was delighted with this map.
    Also the other train station it just nothing, I don't know were they got that from, but the map is quite old, as all the new development in the town was not there.

That didnt look like a bridge. Is there some sorf of concrete river bed between the bridges? cause the dry river bed with some triangles looks like concrete...

If you put any personal knowledge in your answers(which isnt seen on the photo or the map) they gonna take marks away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

1)Fieldstudy - learnt word for word.Jc nearly fcuked me over on this one
    2)Physical - perfect.Nice easy secondary question
    3)Ordance Survey Map - part (i)was a gem
    4)Core/Periphery -chose Italy, Plain of Lombardy. and Mezz for the secondary question

Everything i studied came up!.ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Skyuser
    It wasn't a HEP, its another bridge. I'm from Ballina and was delighted with this map.
    Obviously if you're from Ballina then you're right, but I can't believe that that thing is a bridge. I thought it was either a HEP generator ar a dam of some sorts I went with HEP just because I had a lot to write about HEP.

I've attached the photo, so you can see what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

to be honest, i hadn't a clue what it was. i spent 5 minutes staring at it, and then just didn't refer to it at all. Had not a clue as to what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

For the second part of the glaciation question, which disadvantage did people use?

I had to spend five minutes making one up, before writing down something about communication, and chucking in an obscure example.

• Advertisement

my advantage was that eskers left behind after glaciers were useful for raw building materials. My disadvantage was that sometimes glacial soil is ****e quality, and land where it is deposited becomes water-logged and unfarmable. My example was the midlands, which is one giant blanket bog.

My origional advantage was that depositied soils were very good quality sometimes, and made the land extremely fertile. My examples for that were paris basin, and the golden vale. Unfortunately since i could only think of one disadvangate, i couldn't use this point, so i had to cross it off, and start again with the point i mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

My friend came up with a good one. He mentioned that drumlins make it difficult for roads: they have to wind their way around them, too expensive to go through them etc.

Damn him with his glacial knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

what in the name of sweet leonard cohen were those crazeee triangular things in the river moy?!?!??! cos i answered that question like the knob end i am without a ****ing clue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

BTW, please tell my that was a HEP station in then bottom right corner of the photo

It's a weir to regulate the flow of water into the river. It is not "another bridge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

For the second part of the glaciation question I said that glaciated regions are great attractions for tourists but that drumlins were unsuitable for farming and that other glaciated regions were a hinderence to building roads, or something, can't really remember but it was along those lines.

• Advertisement

It's a weir to regulate the flow of water into the river. It is not "another bridge".
    i thought it looked like a lough thingy like they have in canals, but i knew that wasn't a canal, so i thought i was just crazy. Looks like i wasnt too far off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Originally posted by Shamrok

Fsck. Lots of people got it wrong (including me).

But wasnt there a weir on the last years photo(carlow)? Its in a left background. They differ alot, so it wasnt a weir?

There will be a row between geo teachers + students and the people who set the papers about this. I know there excuse :"The sketchmap was really easy, it had 30 marks, its not our fault that the students did not know what it was."

Drumlins = Boulder clay deposition = Fertile soil ?

i thought Drumlins were the long hill's made by glacier, which were created by erosion. They are typically up to 250metres long and up to 50m in hieght i thought...

Sample A1 answer on the postive aspects of glaciation i had on my comp.

(1) (Positive aspects)Agriculture

Lowland areas experienced glacial deposition.Boulder clay deposition is common in parts of ireland.Intensive/commerical levels of agriculture are possible in such areas when

-Deep deposits of fertile boulder clay exist.
    -the boulder clay consists of various types of rock and clay that are rich in minerals and nutients (depends on the parent rock material e.g limestone).
    -the landscape is gently sloping and well drained

Examples of such areas in Ireland include;

-cereal farming -co wexford; good yields are got from crops of barely, wheat, sugar-beet,fruit and vegetables.

-Dairy farming-Golden vale in munster;high milk yields are possible because of the regular cuts of grass for silage and fodder.

Agriculture is Ireland most important primary industry
    The economic benefits are;

-Employment-Jobs are created directly in the primary sector but also in the secondary(food proccessing,farn equipment, etc) and service industries (transport,marketing etc)

-Exports-much of the farm produce is exported and this improves both irelands balance of payments and balance of trade.

(2) (negative aspects) Avalanches- not much you can say really expect waffle abit.Loss of life etc

Bleh.forget about it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Shit. My teacher is a retard, she always told us that drumlins were terrible for agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by c0rk3r

Core/Periphery -chose Italy, Plain of Lombardy. and Mezz for the secondary question
    [/B]

There wasnt a basic core periphery question , do you mean you wrote about mezz as regards the new member states ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Originally posted by Sarunas

But wasnt there a weir on the last years photo(carlow)? Its in a left background. They differ alot, so it wasnt a weir?"

It is a weir. It's a salmon weir known locally as "the boxes". Basically it was a set of salmon traps on the Moy (best salmon river in Europe). Due to protests from local anglers, they're not in use anymore, but would have been when this photo was taken (circa '97 or '98). Here's a better picture of them:
    http://www.castlebar.ie/photos/muirsind/ballina/moy08.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SlushPuppie

I actually thought the exam finished at 4.30 and i was rushing like crazy trying to fit everything in. Then I realised that I still had 30 min left,so I went back over everything and fleshed each answer out to A standard. Unfortunately I forgot to even answer part (b) of Glaciation,which was a shame becuase i knew the answer to it. But I worked out that it's only worth about 8% of the overall mark,so I can still get an A2 :D .

Advertisement