Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Free up space on my C drive

Options
  • 13-06-2004 2:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new game and its about 5.5 GB so its a big one,only thing is I only have 3 GB spare on my drive.Now I did not think I had much on it.I allready cleared my Temp Internet file.Anybody have any advice.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Go into My Computer, right-click on C: and select properties... Hit the Disk Cleanup button...

After that, all you can do is decide what programs you don't really use/need to use and remove those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

windows xp?

if so, go to start, programs, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup.
    switch to the 'more options' tab and chlick the clean up button in the 'System restore' section

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No its not xp I am in the dark ages...its 2000.I am getting a new computer in a few weeks but would like to give this game a crack on this old computer.It was so called top of the range when I got it in 2000.They get out of date so fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How big si the HD?

Delete everthing from TEMP ,gonna have to uninstall somfin else ,start burning your ponr and mp3s to cds will clear up loads.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Try a program called Treesize, http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

helped me find many unessesary space hugging files over the years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

spacemonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Its obviously safe for you (and many others on this forum) to delete the entire C:/windows/system32/help/ directory, as none of you ever use it :)

The following is what I do when I need space, but is not recommended, as I have no idea what side effects it _could_ cause:

- delete all the temp folders created by windows update s and hotfixes: they are hidden and are located in c:/winnt/. Each one name begins with $ as far as I remember.

- theres a service pack files directory somewhere under winnt or winnt/system32 that goes aswell.

- go to c:/documents and settings/ for each user, then go to local settings/temporary internet files/content.ie5 (again this is a hidden directory) and delete all subdirectories and files contained. Do this for every user that logs onto the computer.

- similar to above, for each user in documents and settings go to local settings/temp and delete everything (you'll get a few "file in use" errors - delete everything else)

- sometimes c:/winnt/temp or c:/winnt/system32/temp also contains temporary files that are safe to delete

- sometimes c:/winnt or c:/winnt/system32 fills up with files beginning with perf* or permon* with no file extension. Delete them too.

I can't remember all the other places I've nuked, but this machine runs safely without all that crap. But, again, if any of this breaks your OS in any way, don't come crying to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

when I go into windows\system32 there are two files Drivers and Fltrcoi.dll.Which one will I delete....?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GOLDEN RULE - if you don't know what it is DON'T DELETE IT - that's asking for trouble.
    DLL's are system files and god only knows what's linked to some of them (ie. even microsoft probably don't know some of the linkages...)

UNINSTALL programs first
    clean out your MP3's

search for files > 999KB and you can delete the data files you RECOGNISE

BTW: anyone know reg settings for
    having common temp and temporary_internet files for all users ?

Re: out of date fast - check out Moores Law, back in the 60's he reckoned they'd fit twice as many circuits per chip every 18 months or so - it's still happening..

run scandisk and defrag etc. sometimes they free up space eg can delete folders called FOUND.000 (if you aren't trying to recover corrupt data)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

With Moore running Intel he can manpulate the trend to make his stupid law true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

if you're getting rid of the machine in a few weeks, you could considir deleting the dll cache files....not recommended - but since you're going to dump the machine in a few weeks anyway - no harm in starting to thrash it now!! :) This should free up about 300mb or so

go to CMD.exe
    type in sfc /cachesize=0 [enter]
    type in sfc /purgecache [enter]

hth

Advertisement