Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bertie take Commission President post?

Options
  • 13-06-2004 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Following FF's disappointing showing (though nowhere near as bad as Labour's in the UK who came THIRD) in the local and Euroepan elections, whould Bertie now accept the European Commission Presidency, which over half the EU-25 have reportedly urged him to do?

I think so. Another chance for an Irish candidate might not come around.

Should Bertie accept EU Commission Presidency? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

President of the EU Commission would be a great position for an Irish man.

I personally would like Bertie to remain in domestic politics. I think that he has achieved much over his political career.

But, If he took on the President of the EU - I am sure that he would bring much to that position.

Overall, I would prefer him to stay and continue as Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

not another bludy poll :(

where is Atari Jaguar ?

M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bertie Ahern is a marvelous background politician (negotiations) but fails with his public appearances and public speaking. While it is important to have a leader who can negotiate as well as he can, its also important to have one with the ability to react under the pressure of opposition comments in The Dail, which Bertie just cant do.

I think he should take the EU job, and I think he will do a great job with it. Cowen should be his replacement, an excellent public speaker, who has the ability to lead the party well and show real professionalism even when under heavy attacks from others.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bertie for Prez? He's a bit lightweight is'nt he? Another international non-entity from Belguim looks the man most likely as this stage.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

He's a Dub, and I'd know he would like to remain in Dublin, its what he has always known. Moving to Brussells would be a big thing for him in that regard. No more regular pub visits in Drumcondra, a lot less Parnell Park. He's a people mingler, so I cant see him go.

But how much can his ego take if its being massaged by the likes of Blair and Schroder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think he should take it.

John

Advertisement