Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vrs france

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Let's not overdo this. Maybe some of those who make a holiday in their heart any time England lose are hardline Provo bastards but for most of us it's just harmless rivalry, with a little bit of atavistic antagonism built in.

There are parallels elswhere:

rugby's my first game. I'm a Dublin 4 Leinster supporter. We have all the population, all the latent talent and little in the way of achievement to show for it.

Munster have no money, a crap ground, a smaller playing base but huge passion among their supporters as well as a hefty chip on each shoulder.

When Munster are playing in Europe, I always wish them well and delight when they do so.

When Leinster are playing in Europe do their fans reciprocate? Do they bloody hell. Some of them would support Leicester against Leinster.

But that's OK. I know it just means that I'm an inherently congenitally superior person to the hairy arsed riff raff that supports Munster. :-)

Sound familiar?

I don't think that I'm overdoing anything. I don't know much about Irish Rugby but I'd imagine that Leinster and Munster play each other on a fairly regular basis and in the same tournament? And besides they're from the same Island so there is bound to be some local rivalry.

However, comparing they way a lot of Irish people act when England are playing against "anybody" imo is as just rivalry imo is wrong because if that's the case why don't we cheer for anybody that's playing against Wales, Scotland, France, etc. etc.
    The ABE syndrome is just based in deep rooted bigotry.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Let's not overdo this. Maybe some of those who make a holiday in their heart any time England lose are hardline Provo bastards but for most of us it's just harmless rivalry, with a little bit of atavistic antagonism built in.

There are parallels elswhere:

rugby's my first game. I'm a Dublin 4 Leinster supporter. We have all the population, all the latent talent and little in the way of achievement to show for it.

Munster have no money, a crap ground, a smaller playing base but huge passion among their supporters as well as a hefty chip on each shoulder.

When Munster are playing in Europe, I always wish them well and delight when they do so.

When Leinster are playing in Europe do their fans reciprocate? Do they bloody hell. Some of them would support Leicester against Leinster.

But that's OK. I know it just means that I'm an inherently congenitally superior person to the hairy arsed riff raff that supports Munster. :-)

Sound familiar?
    Superb example. Even Wales supporters (not as much as the Irish) would be happy to see England lose but the English don't feel the same way about Wales because they don't see Wales as a threat. The English don't see us as a threat so have no problem with us. It wouldn't be an immediate "hatred" against Ireland if we won a major tournament but if we continued to be succesful the English wouldn't be cheering us on anymore. I don't think anyone just chose to cheer on every one of England's opposition, it's just one of those things that grow on most people and can't really be explained (like so many people cheer on ManU's opposition but it's not a mutual thing in most cases).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have to say, that is a good point about the reason why England support Ireland, but the fervour with which Irish people support whoever England are playing still disturbs me.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well there was a huge amount of people who would be supporting England against France until the English fans booed the French nationel anthem , people are saying that thats hypocrisy because of the ex and current Rangers players being booed but the people who were upset at the booing of the French nationel anthem are not the ones booing Rangers players they are the ones that think its wrong to boo players because of their club .

also we in Ireland love the underdog (as people do in most countrys ) and England are a big team and are often the favourites , still people shouldnt realy celebrate Englands deafeats unless it benefits their own country.

sorry if I give the impression im high and mighty .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theres a few Scottish guys where I work. On monday morning one described France beating England like that as being "as good as if we won the World Cup last night".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Don't we all have club or national team(s) they we like to see lose.

I don't see the problem really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    England's first choice keeper imho is always injured! Chris Kirkland if he can manage to stop breaking parts of himself will in time be the next number one and make it his own.

whats his injury atm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    And in response to the English being the same as us, they most definitely are not!! I have a lot of family that live over in England and whenever Ireland are in a sporting competition all their friends get behind us, unbelievably so. (unless of course we are playing against, understandably!!)
    Have a read of this topic:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=15129
    It just shows that there is a fair amount of English that would cheer on whoever we play too.
    he turned on his tape and interviewed the hard men.
    you would not believe the hostility and anger comming out of these guys towards ken earley and the fenian scum radio station he was representing.
    there were chants of..no surrender to the ira....at the game on sunday
    Was at home for my lunch yesterday and had Sky Sports News on. They linked up to some reporter in Lisbon or somewhere but had to cut it almost immediately when the tan supporters surrounding him starting singing "No surrender to the I.R.A"
    I actually saw that myself yesterday on SSN, the presenter looked shocked.
    there is a deep hatred towards the Irish amoung many English football fans (personally speaking I have been verbally and physically assaulted for carrying a tricolour at Arsenal matches and they are one of the better sets of fans towards the Irish.)

Of course the Irish are the same, probably even worse, but that just shows you that it's not a one sided rivalry. It may be a "lob sided" rivalry but if Ireland became succesful any time soon it wouldn't be for long.

Advertisement