Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just to say....

Options
  • 14-06-2004 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

thanks a bunch for supplying viet-navan. i just realised how much i appreciate it when i go to play on another server

myself luc and ark went onto evo's clan server this evening when navan started to die down. never have i seen such blatant idiocy played in the game. for a start they didn't know the meaning of team balance. most of the guys where just u.s whores, i don't know how many times i had to ask for teams and then had to ask the admin who eventually changed themselves over.

then the whole u.s whores thingy, playing khe sahn big shower of chopper whores, i placed the mobile behind they're chopper hanger and you could blatantly walk around the front and kill 4 or 5 of them as they run around like sheep waiting for a chopper.

then on lang vei when we eventually got some team balance, we had just the main u.s base left, i asked someone to flank around the right hand side to the paddy field, no joy eventually myself and another guy moved off in a jeep and that move pretty much changed the map.

the general players where bloody crap as well, don't ask me how some players can have 20 odd kills when there is people there since the start of the map with no kills at all.

anywho thanks again for navan and the high caliber of players, who can actually think and know the meaning of the word teamwork that play there.

oh and on top of that i kept getting kicked by punkbuster after a 2min update timeout any idea whats up with that?

/rant

data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have 6 servers that i play on that includes BF BFV MOH and UT.

Finding a decent server is more than just a box with packets being sent to and fro, needs to have decent players on it who want to play the game.

IOL servers for msot games i own have an abundance of likeminded people.

GG

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

Not only the existing crowd make Navan a joy, newbies come and go and generally try give a good account of themselves.

PB is a program with problems.
    I spent absolutely ages trying to sort it one night.
    Manual update, manual re-update, download special updater program. Grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I feel that the above really brings forward the importance of having our own proper private server. For all the few €/£ it will cost when divided out its not a lot, even to the students among us.

The Fairy.

hairy methinks opposite as pointed out Navan is public ,some of us have admin powers we can control the server when we on.

Clan servers are the best and worst to play on ,we lucky most people who play on Navan hare likeminded ,i honestly never been Tked on purpose and if i was ,i got a "sorry" message.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by KdjaC
    hairy methinks opposite as pointed out Navan is public ,some of us have admin powers we can control the server when we on.

Clan servers are the best and worst to play on ,we lucky most people who play on Navan hare likeminded ,i honestly never been Tked on purpose and if i was ,i got a "sorry" message.

kdjac

apart from that time i kept nailing you for some reason god that was sweet :)

i may have tk'd someone that pissed me off majorally before but i felt justified

navan is cool though

• Advertisement

Navan has a good vibe.
    I set my 13yr old cousin off in it because you know nobody's gonna be an ass about it.

I still play the odd 1 vs 1 with newbies and I love teaching new people stuff and if anyone joins then, they know to chill out.

I helped Crazy_Monkey and Farseer learn to play there, Karma taught me how to fly and Tango taught me to shoot down choppers with MI-8.

If we didn't play Navan much, you'd miss the people you end up recruiting and if you do play navan then the clan server is a waste. We can barely get enough TiG going at once anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ARKANGEL

oh and u forgot to mention data that your good self,mr lucutus and me kinda came 1st 2nd and 3rd 2 games in a row on the evo server..lol..ggz.oh and ps..ive resigned from nrs......so m ingame name is now just ARKANGEL..see ya guys on the field;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 El Bootarino

I agree. The Irish servers just seem that little bit more fun than the other ones.

When I bought Vietnam, I bought UT2004 the same day.

Its fun, but the maturity level of the people playing it is dreadful. I don't really need to hear new swear words made up of pieces of old ones thanks. Nor do I enjoy being TK'd by people who want to fly. I uninstalled it about two months ago and have never gone back.

So it aint just the server, I think perhaps the squad - based concept of BFV has led to a certain community spirit.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yes.

But once I joined the wrong irish TS server and I got this nack sayin' "How'ya bud!". Was a little scary, I almost gave him my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by ARKANGEL
    oh and u forgot to mention data that your good self,mr lucutus and me kinda came 1st 2nd and 3rd 2 games in a row on the evo server..lol..ggz.oh and ps..ive resigned from nrs......so m ingame name is now just ARKANGEL..see ya guys on the field;)

Want to join Tig ?

• Advertisement

if u will have me..talk to lucutus.....:rolleyes: :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lu smells dont mind him

I declear you a tig member! jimmy forum access this man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

aye welcommen & bein vee new

how did the Nrs lads take your resignation/?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by ARKANGEL

aye there was that detail, it felt good to go onto a random server and still kick ass.

my first thoughts on you're resignation was will you join tig also :) glad you're coming in. there is a thread i started on the TIG forum as i think we need new members and i was actually thinking twould be cool to have you aboard i'm glad you resigned. I'm gonna have the audacity to speak for the clan here and say we could do with your clan experience to whip is into shape a bit

thanks for the welcome wagon fellers..glad to be aboard..looking forward to playing with u guys...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FranDrastic

I spend more time on this board than playing online due to lack of broadband, but ever since boot introduced me when I was over at his house, I've been sucked in and just been following the boards ever since.

And playing against the faaarking bots! :(

That's it. Mission for tomorrow - order broadband!

I'll see you on Viet - Navan. Wahey!!!

[edit]I forgot to mention - I spent loads of money upgrading my machine from an Win 98/Athlon K6 just to play this game. Yeah, really gotta install broadband. Mom![/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You can play Battlefield Vietnam over 56k btw. I was doing it tonight no problem, flying and all and was getting a 160 -> 220 ping or so. Sure skipped frames here and there but i Should have broadband now within the next couple of weeks hopefully if Esat stick to their schedule losley at least.

Also some good games tonight I have to saw aswell boys. After not playing for over a week its always nice to come back and get stright into some fast close games.

Originally posted by Winters
    You can play Battlefield Vietnam over 56k btw.

No you cant ,you just do cos you no choice.
    Game is unplayable above 100 ping. get BB you Studenty types.

kdjac

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Playing on Navan and a UK server last night and the difference is unbelievable. At least on Navan you have a chance of backup and people make an effort to keep the teams even. Twats.

Originally posted by Winters
    You can play Battlefield Vietnam over 56k btw

I'd love to know how you're patched up!

I'm on v1.02.2 with the lates catalyst drivers and that lag patch and everything.

I'm on 64k ISDN and the "connection failure" notice was up before I'd even spawned.....:dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Drop your connection settings back to 56k if you are on single 64k ISDN. It usually helps.

I myself are on 56k [connects at 45.2], v1.02 and latest Catalyst drivers. My only problem is occasional crashing but im undecided weather its sound or graphics causing it.

Besides a little slow down once or twice last night I was able to play for a couple of hours comfortably with no Connection Problems warning.

So it is playable on 56k.

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

I'm going to try that now.

Nice one.

F++king Deadly Winters,

That sorted it for me completely.... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by KdjaC
    No you cant ,you just do cos you no choice.
    Game is unplayable above 100 ping. get BB you Studenty types.

kdjac

Nope. I agree its very playable on 56k. I used to regulary, and besides having to put up with the very odd lag spike, (one every map or so), i was a happy(ish) player.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Steven999

wow so many wise people around here tell you what im never gonna talk to another person in real life EVER cause there is no way they could be as nice as you all.I'm tellin ya Jesus should get his ass down here and take his ass some notes on how to be a nice guy........tis true though when im playing on some servers (most in fact bar a totally random few) they don't understand that if a person works for the team they contribute to the whole and therefore make it easier on themselves like for example they took time out to destroy aircraft towers if they do regardless eveyone on his team will do better.The oppurtunities for teamplay will be increased when Battlefield 2 comes out early 2005.in that game a person wil be nominated as team leader and he will have a chance to direct the team with his birds eye view,sure you won't have to do anything he suggests but if you play along it could be so much fun.anyway most people are idiots but you can always put it to them by beating their ass on the scoreboard.

That team leader thing will only work on a few servers , payed it before in C and C and NOONE ever obeys the leader ever on public servers.

Winters/Jim its not playable on 56k ,bearable maybe but playable. I been there with the whole 56k gaming thing and anything over 120 ping puts you at a disadvantage makes the game unplayable.

Should have a ping limit on IOL servers :D

kdjac

it could work if you reward the person with a health boost or a special weapon loadout if they take your suggestion but yeah people really dont listen..could be more fun in the right server with right people though

Orders are one thing but everyone would like more information and if the commander can inform us, relay requests and warn on things like mines, enemy vehicles... then it could be very useful.

Ordering someone used to unconventional tactics is a bad idea.
    It could really help focus air support though.

yeah the commander could look ata situation for example an overwhelming number of enemies heading for a flag with only one or two of his guys he could tell them not to fight them head on but to hide amongnst the buildings after boobytrapping the flag.they could later reemerge after most of them had moved on to retake the flag forcing the enemy to turn around and take it all over again. ditto for air support he could say things like enemy tank on bridge ,apc at western flag that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Thanks are due from this particular noob. I've been playing as Harold Lloyd for the past 2 nights on Navan, and it's been a highly enjoyable experience so far - particularly in comparison with the more tard-infested servers out there.

I'm learning new stuff all the time, and the regulars on Navan have been really helpful and patient. Of course, the Tig Vs. Unwashed Public match passed in a bloody whirl, but that's to be expected.

So before this turns into a massive love-in, I'll sign off and kill some of you later on this evening.

Advertisement