Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

:( More server downtime

Options
  • 14-06-2004 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

All my posts.....gone.....I was making more sense today than I have in weeks.

An entire day's work, ruined....

:(

I blame bubbles. Him and his mass posting scripts are fucking up the server.

:)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

mysql is the biggest bitch in the whole wide world (unrelated to last week's outage)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Regi
    mysql is the biggest bitch in the whole wide world (unrelated to last week's outage)
    It doesn't rain, it pours, eh?

More fun, mysql had dropped random indexes, such as the 'threadid' index from the thread table. Woohoo :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Thanks regi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Regi could you please explain all this crap...?

Mike.

• Advertisement

uh...

The database itself became so corrupted earlier that we couldn't repair it, so we rolled back to the database from 3am this morning.

Then when it was back, it kindly lost some indexes. Some tables get big, for example:
    mysql> select count(*) from thread;
    +----------+
    | count(*) |
    +----------+
    |   156631 |
    +----------+

mysql> select count(*) from searchindex;
    +----------+
    | count(*) |
    +----------+
    | 30713202 |
    +----------+

When you do selects from these tables, it can take a really really long time to sort them by specific criteria, and boards does a lot of sorting. For example, every thread you see is sorted by the time it was started and updated. Indexes act as a kind of mirror of the table, but pre-sorted by certain criteria.

For example, we would have an index that pre-sorts all the threads into the date in which they were last updated. Therefore its MUCH faster to select your data from that index than it would be to get all your data from the table and then sort it. When databases get busy and big, indexes stop being 'nice to haves' and become absolutely essential.

Whenever boards loses a vital index, it normally ends up copying results to temporary tables on disk and performance goes down faster than panties on prom night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A-ha! Thats clear then.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's like some weird time warp where today never happened...oh, if only!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by seamus
    All my posts.....gone.....I was making more sense today than I have in weeks.

An entire day's work, ruined....

:(

I blame bubbles. Him and his mass posting scripts are fucking up the server.

We lost all the work we did on the restructuring (and by we, I mean Cloud).

Btw, this has nothing to do with Bubbles... he's reduced to posting "DeVore is a prick" over on PI using the unregistered posting ability of that forum. We had to reenable the pre-mod functions there so more work for ruthie and the mods but hey. what does bubbles care so long as the spot light is on him.

Anyway, this is all just hardware going spang or database indexes being dropped. Nothing we havent seen before.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by DeVore
    Btw, this has nothing to do with Bubbles... he's reduced to posting "DeVore is a prick" over on PI using the unregistered posting ability of that forum. We had to reenable the pre-mod functions there so more work for ruthie and the mods but hey. what does bubbles care so long as the spot light is on him.

Hi, bubbles here

**** you Tom, I've never ever caused any sort of crap on the PI board - never mind spamming 'DeVore is a prick' If you think thats what I'm reduced to, fine. Be ignornant.

I hope we wheren'tt responcable for the trouble with boards.. I remember when I was sitting beside the person who was working over the Unreal board and he was doing some mass bannings and while he was doing that some DB (the first i think) error where popping up, which stopped him in my tracks. Then boards went into backup mode and never came back

And then last night I play a game of 99 green bottles - posting about 110 threads on the prision forum - only to find a mysterious mysql DB problem ment all the posts people made this morning where deleted.
    Why do you lie to your members? Is not no true that the only way to delete all the posts I made ealier would either be

1) delete the bubbles account and every post ever made by bubbles - meaning some big gaps
    2) go through the posts 1 by on and delete - taking up time
    3) do a mass purge of all posts made since the backup and this morning before there was loads of traffic on the site.

Honesty is the best policy Mr. Tom

P.S. This isn't my account - you might want to see it returned to the proper person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

yawn....
    haven't you curled up and died yet bubbles......

Agent smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

regisaysoops.jpg

Had to be done :p

Bubbles.........just..................go away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Regi
    My designated database teacher (yeah, shocking I know:rolleyes:, being back at college is fun) went on an anti-PostgreSQL rant last year [1] but sceptre agrees with Regi.

[1]Only because, for specific reasons, three of us used it in a site instead of MySQL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I hope we wheren'tt responcable for the trouble with boards..

Perhaps mySQL hates bad spelling.
    a mysterious mysql DB problem ment all the posts people made this morning where deleted.

I guess you created the world in six days too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Sweet mother of pearl....ok so it's like monday morning never existed on boards...jeebus the whole Recategorisation of forums really fcuked with my head and now it's back to normal :confused:

**runs off to cry**

CombatCow

OF COURSE!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

THEY'RE TRYING TO ABOLISH MONDAY MORNINGS!!!

Hurrah for the admins!

We lost all the work we did on the restructuring (and by we, I mean Cloud).
    Arse. That's a little more important. And I was watching all that restructring taking place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Raphael
    THEY'RE TRYING TO ABOLISH MONDAY MORNINGS!!!

Didn't they do this once in an episode of Garfield ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's kinda cool, technology was computers, which i dodn't like, now i'm back on, and wondering WTF is going on, where's my posts, and computers is technology again.
    check admin board answer is there.
    Was thinking earlier, how big is boards?
    What size is a backup of the whole thing?

The database is pretty big
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1703298996 Jun 14 03:22 vbcloud-14-06-2004.sql

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A couple of questions:

1) Is that a mysqldump?

2) Given that mysqldump isn't the fastest thing in the world when processing large files, how long does it take?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by buddy
    Why do you lie to your members? Is not no true that the only way to delete all the posts I made ealier would either be

1) delete the bubbles account and every post ever made by bubbles - meaning some big gaps
    2) go through the posts 1 by on and delete - taking up time
    3) do a mass purge of all posts made since the backup and this morning before there was loads of traffic on the site.

For reference:
    DELETE FROM thread WHERE postusername = 'bubbles' AND forumid = 52;

Approximately a minute of work, same as deleting those mass PMs.

Originally posted by ecksor
    For reference:

Approximately a minute of work, same as deleting those mass PMs.

A minute??

Good lord ecksor, I had no idea you were so dedicated :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ecksor also came up with another interesting little bit of info. Bubbles either has the worlds slowest script or it took him 50 minutes to post all that crud.
    Personally I could care less.

DeV.

Ecksor also came up with another interesting little bit of info. Bubbles either has the worlds slowest script or it took him 50 minutes to post all that crud.
    Personally I could care less.

DeV.
    He probably factored in the minimum time between posts. That would bring his closish to 50 minutes (actually, closer to 30 minutes - he probably put a pause of 30 seconds or so between them instead of 20). What makes it even sadder is that he didn't come up with some script, and then set it to start running at 5am so everyone would wake up to a spammed boards, rather he was actually online, testing his script at that time. I just can't see how someone has that monumental amount of time to waste, or even the bother to stay up so late for something that barely raised an eyebrow.

Indeed. The only reason we even knew about it was that I get e-mail notifications for new posts on the Prison forum (which I can mass delete in 3 seconds flat with mutt tags before anyone wets their nappies at a chance to cause a nuisance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

whats a mutt tags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Who's Bubbles ?

CombatCow

Originally posted by Boston
    whats a mutt tags

http://www.infobiogen.fr/doc/info/mutt/manual-4.html

See "Using tags"

• Advertisement
Advertisement