Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing Ordinary Level Maths

Options
  • 14-06-2004 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Just wondering,but how big is the failure rate? Do they only fail the truly awful,or if you are within range of the sacred 240 out of 600 will they pass you?
    Btw,it strikes me that alot of you seem to go to private schools/special grind schools where you were quite well taught. So maybe this is a question for the more common student in a crap school where the ambition of most students is to get a D3 in ordinary to anwser. :)

Jesus I cant understand some of the people here whinging when theyve clearly passed. For most of my school passing is the goal,nobody barely cares as long as they get a D3.

I got roughly 110 in paper one and,calculating paper two,I got somewhere round 130 on paper two. Ill probably scrape through it,but theres some bits Im unsure of. For example,on question 2 rather than using formulae i couldnt remember to do the questions i drew a number line and did them off that. I proved it was a parellelogram by drawing said object on the diagram by joining the points. If this is good than Im laughing,it will bring me over 140 on that paper alone. If it isnt and i only got half marks it could be tighter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I'd say ye passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Tha Gopher
    Btw,it strikes me that alot of you seem to go to private schools/special grind schools where you were quite well taught. So maybe this is a question for the more common student in a crap school where the ambition of most students is to get a D3 in ordinary to anwser. :)

Why do you think most people here go to private or grinds schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

you should get 7 out of 10, or 10 if the examiner is really nice.

There true way of doing it is that parallelogram consists of 2 parallel lines. To prove that a line is parallel to other line, just get the slope of two lines. If its the same then they are parallel. In other words:

line1 || line2 = same slope.

Get your point about "just passing". Same in my school (well atleast in my class, and few others). Some people were leaving their english, maths exams after an hour.

I cannot confirm this, but someone told me to pass maths you have to get 38% on both papers.

Im not fully sure what the failure rate is, can only remember my maths teacher moaning that something like 15% of the people who take the pass maths exam fail.

Advertisement