Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets dive the U260 !! NOW!

Options
  • 14-06-2004 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Well actually not now!

I'm thinking of doing a bit of diving on the weekend of the 26/27th. Head down to baltimore for the weekend and try to get in a dive on the U260... 40-42m i think is the depth on that sucker... not suitable for everyone HOWEVER the other big honkin wreck is there, the Kowloon Bridge. Ranges from 6m to 36m anyone can enjoy a dive on her. She's apparently the biggest diveable wreck in Europa.

So vote 'Yes I'm interested' or whatever.... I've nothing booked and haven't even made any phone calls so don't even ask me about availibility. http://www.aquaventures.ie are the dive op that i'll be targeting.

Discover scuba courses are available for anyone who is thinking about getting their feet wet. Check the aquaventures website for details.

Whos gonna get the thumb out? 9 votes

Yes, i'm up for it.
    0% 0 votes
    Lets ban Peace for spamming the Scuba board for the last year
    22% 2 votes
    A good idea but i'm tapped out/too lazy/missus has other ideas for me. Maybe next time!
    77% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I highly recommend aquaventures. They're really nice people.

As for the U260, brilliant dive and I hope to go back over the summer. I did however hear a rumour that someone has taken the lens out of the periscope.

Whoever did this should be shot. For me it was the highlight of the wreck, to see the lens in perfect condition after all these years.

u260_innes_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The U260 might be a bit beyond me, unless I do my deep diver course :D

Otherwise there's always the Kowloon brige. Thats if I'm going of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Those poll results are pretty convincing!!!!

oh by the way, would love to tag along... but diving the Laurentic that weekend. Really looking forward to that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Ban Peace..........ban ban ban ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Sorry taking Divers to Laurentic that weekend.....working (real work) on the sunday!

Enjoy - Sounds cool - the Kowloon Bridge will have to be on my list of to do dives....
    Dont you just hate wreck wreckers...the laurentic has a fair share of them.. :-(

Donny- are you with us????

Good Diving :-)

Ka:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by donny
    diving the Laurentic that weekend. Really looking forward to that :)

What dive operator are you using for the laurentic donny?

Just out of interest, how long are you spending on the wreck? I dived it about 6 weeks ago and planned 30minutes at 39m.... never got below 37.6 i think.

eh not sure exactly who I'm going to the Laurentic with. I'm not the one organising it :)

Ka you doing your CMAS *** this year by any chance?

I enjoyed the Kowloon... I've dived it twice but its nothing compared to the U260. The Kowloon bridge is too big really. You lose all sense of scale. I haven't dived the bow yet tho. I hear thats a great dive if the swell isn't too bad.

oh and as for time on the wreck... I definitely won't be spending a half hour on it. I will be diving a twinset, but doing the whole dive on air including any decompression stops so bottom time won't be very long sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Hi Donny

We are taking a group from GMIT / NUIG?

The Laurentic depth will vary slightly with tide, there are neap tides the weekend of 26th 27th so it will be that little bit shallower, and as we always try to have divers there for the slack tide. Understanding the tides in the area is vital. It makes the diver more enjoyable as well as safer.

Not doing the CMAS*** but Derek is (husband) just done prerequisites last saturday. I am PADI through and through :-) will be doing Divemaster etc... and possible some TDI / IANTD in the future...

Ka:-)

• Advertisement

yep thats my group :)

Heard its going to be neaps that weekend alright. Must be Derek so that our group was talking to.

Did the Leading Diver pre reqs myself at the weekend and should have the Divemaster finished in mid July hopefully.

I also hope to do an IANTD course before the end of the year.

Maybe Nordic diver could jump in here with his norwegian air tables and scare the crap out of us with his run time....i'm not joking... his tables get you out of the water faster for the same dives when he's on air and i'm on 50% nitrox for deco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Hi guys, enjoy the w/e in Baltimore. The Kowloon caters for all levels 6m bow to 40m ish stern. Best of luck Derek and Donny on the L.D. weekend. Only 5 from Dublin North region on the CMAS *** W/E AFAIK! I`m off up to Donegal on the 12,13 and 14 July for course, Nordic if that suits you are welcome to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Can't go that weekend, besides not qualified to 30mtr, so I'd hate to be regalled of how great the sub is after my day on the KB:D

On the plus side, I'm down in Castlebar tomorrow (Friday) for work so I'm going to continue on to Scubadivewest on Saturday, do an cold water orientation dive* with them in the morning and a boat dive in the afternoon

Whehay :D

* I'm used to the water being 30C when I've been diving

Do your dry suit Borzoi, much better than semi-dry.

I suspect I will agree with you but first things first eh?

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Do your dry suit Borzoi, much better than semi-dry.
    Originally posted by Borzoi
    I suspect I will agree with you but first things first eh?

Phil is speaking the truth here.... Combine everything into one weekend (dry + cold water oreintation)... trust me they won't turn your money away and might even work something out with you.

Diving dry is pretty bloddy nice... i won't tell you that its warm... sometimes its not.. but at least its dry... most of the time ;). I could NEVER go back to semi/wet suit diving in ireland (or any cold water).

Well.... aquaventures gave me a bit of a frosty reception and an alomst definate NO as they won't put a third boat into the water for only 3 divers. The other two ribs are full. I also got a lecture for asking to do the U260 twice in one weekend.... "3 divers will not dictate to the rest of the people on the boat have to go..." I also got the impressio you will also have to fit in with everyone else so if there are people who can't dive the U260 then noone dives it. Thanks for nothing.

Seems all the padi divers are coming out of the wood work and filling my boat places.. feckin fair weather mullah's...

Tried a few dive op's in donegal and again are either full/"won't drop you on the U861 as its too far away"... what 25minutes inn a rib?/ring you back later and give you a an idea of when i'm free.....

Whats a guy gotta do to get in a couple of dives...
    *sigh* :dunno:

We could just go and do some 'regular' dives. Due to unforseen circumstances I can now go diving that weekend.

Originally posted by Peace

Diving dry is pretty bloddy nice... i won't tell you that its warm... sometimes its not.. but at least its dry... most of the time ;). I could NEVER go back to semi/wet suit diving in ireland (or any cold water).

Did two dives on Saturday, both off the shore in 7mm + 5mm shortie, but had awful trouble with bouancy esp as we keep in very shallow water 3-6mtr mostly. Second dive again off shore was better, from my own p.o.v. but visibility was brutal 3-5mtr. Comfortably warm dive in water about 15C

But I did see the point of the dry suit when my dive buddy got kitted up by taking his shoes off, putting on a extra pair of socks, then pulling the dry duit on over his Jeans and fleece - nice!

Oh, and thanks to Phil's dive report about Killary I didn't get caught by the unisex showers!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hello Borzoi

7mm + 5mm shorty sounds a lot, that is 12mm on body! is it normal to add on 5mm shorty ontop of the wetsuit ? i have very little experiance in "coldwater diving", only did one dive in a wetsuit in easter time in norway because of a drysuit failure.

How much weight did they put on you Borzoi ?

Jan-E.

Thanks for the other info NordicDiver.

From what I gather 7mm + 5mm is fairly normal here - for all year round, so water 8-15C or thereabouts. Odd rush of cold water around the ear no and again but otherwise was comfortable, except for a small cold part around the mouth and cheeks - which no suit will help!

I was using a 12kg belt in the tropics, I'm not a small guy, started the first dive with 14kg, added 4kg more in the water. Brutal :D

In 8 degree water every guy is small.

I'll get my coat ...

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    We could just go and do some 'regular' dives. Due to unforseen circumstances I can now go diving that weekend.

I am officially "open to suggestions".

Waterworld are full in the house but he could accomodate the diving. However no access to swimming pool/sauna due to insurance. It would mean sourcing and booking B&B else where.

Lets hear em folks.....

Oh, and stop hijacking my thread ffs! ;)

called kilkee dive centre and they have room for people this weekend.... accomodation is seperate to the dive centre.

can i get a show of hands here....daveg - you've been keeping a very low profile on this thread, i know you are watching.

come on folks...whst else are you going to do with you weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

a hand

Another hand

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

No rust ? no wreck ?
    What`s next, PADI Naturalist Specialty Course ?

Originally posted by NordicDiver
    No rust ? no wreck ?
    What`s next, PADI Naturalist Specialty Course ?

If it a naturists diving course then I'm there!

• Advertisement

I can't make it after all guys, I have business commitments to meet.

Advertisement