Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets dive the U260 !! NOW!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

No problem phil... i was to confirm the booking today anyway so there was nothing set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Peace
    can i get a show of hands here....daveg - you've been keeping a very low profile on this thread, i know you are watching.

I'm lurking. I'm afriad I've just had an expensive weekend in Dublin to celebrate my 30th :ninja: My finances are well and truly fúcked now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Its going to be a nightmare getting to Kilkee this weekend with Fuher Bush flying into to Shannon.

At the end of the day Kilkee wasn't my 1st/2nd/3rd choice for diving this weekend and since it would only be myself and mick i'm gonna save my money.

No dives.....

OK....OK....

We're off to baltimore for the August bank holiday weekend. Kinda Take 2 folks.

Anyone interested then just pack a bag and come on down. We're diving with Baltimoredivers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Poll reset

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Great news guys, the SkyPeriscope on U260 is not destroyed, check out the gallery section and donnys new excellent picture this saturday, cant wait for the weekend. I just hope the we are going to be able to dive the the U260 twice.
    Shame on the dive operator if not :(

Jan

Originally posted by NordicDiver
    Great news guys, the SkyPeriscope on U260 is not destroyed, check out the gallery section and donnys new excellent picture this saturday, cant wait for the weekend. I just hope the we are going to be able to dive the the U260 twice.
    Shame on the dive operator if not :(

Jan

Jan,
    I spoke to John today, this morning. He says that we can get the U260 definately once but maybe not twice.

Asked about fastnet rock and it was "everything has to be right for that site".

Kowloon bridge is ont he sheets.... i think there is a group booked in that like to dive it. I'll be pissed off if thats the way it happens but sure unless we went mid week then thats the way the cookie crumbles... feckin' PADI fair weather divers... man they do my head in.

You're on your own for accomodation... myself and the other fella are booked in. Accom is 20euro p.p.p.n. and no food included whatsoever.

Diving is 35 for one dive in a day and 55 for two.

Diving is from a hard boat not a rib (praise the lord).

Anyone who is up for a bit... www.baltimorediving.com for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Would love to go along. U-260 is still my favourite dive.

Had an excellent weekend diving with Baltimore diving. I'm booked in to go diving off Inis Meain for the weekend though. Another great spot. Anyone else been diving there? Think I've dived 10 different wrecks in the last month.... maybe some scenic diving will be nice for a change ;)

Thanx Peace for the information, it was hard to get a BB for myselfe and the missus in Baltimore this weekend seems to be a sailing weekend there, we are booked in 15 minutes away.

Donny we missed u by a week this time ;) we will catch u soon :)

Seems to be liveaboard off N.Ireland/Donegal my cash are spent on from now, think we are to awkward to fit in to A4 diving... :(

Never heard about Inis Meain, soo cant help u there donny.

• Advertisement

ooohhhh... my first posy in vbulletin3!

Anyway... a gentle reminder to all interested that we are actually going THIS weekend... as in today. :p

Anyone who wants to join us in more than welcome. You are not required to do the U260 if its out of your range... there will be other divers on the boat and they will be diving a site nearby. Hopefully we get more than one shot on the u260 but it doesn't look all that likely!

*jealous*

Still... Inis Meain should be good craic for the weekend. Diving there is great

donny wrote:
    *jealous*

Still... Inis Meain should be good craic for the weekend. Diving there is great

And the weather is looking mighty fine!

So how did trip to Baltimore go?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

The Baltimore trip went very well, the highlight of course being the U-boat, yes, yes we actually got to see a U-boat. It was excellent seeing it as we approached, I was surprised how intact it was, apart from the bow. Didn't get to see the torpedo but I think we saw pretty much everything else. The periscope is an excellent feature, still intact. The wreck is small enough so that you can get a perspective of the whole thing pretty quickly and know exactly what you're looking at, unlike the Kowloon Bridge which was also an enjoyable dive but not as good as the 260.

18-U260-torpedoes-II.jpg

and for scale...

28-John-Sheahan-U260.jpg

Yes, there was a lot of compressed air tanks, some had fallen of the wreck and now lies on the seabed. Seems like it was a lot of backscatter in the water when u where there.

We had only one dive on the U-260, and its a nice intact wreck.

There are a torpedo inside the starboard torpedo tube in the front, not to easy to see because it is crushed.

And rumers say it is one torpedo (just vizable) in the sand a meter or two in front of the destroyed bow, we could not locate this one.

Sorry to hear about your flooded camera Donny.

Advertisement