Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours French

Options
  • 14-06-2004 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Soooooo anybody else a bit screwed for french? I'm not usually that bad, but I haven't done anything in about 2 weeks. Just tried to do a comprehension... not a clue. Ditto for reaction questions. Not to mention the aural (slow the fúck down, s'il vous plait).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Pas du tout, j'espere un A, et si les productions écrits ne sont pas trop mal je pense que j'en peut gagner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Merci pour l'encouragement. Pouvez-vous sentir mon sarcasme?

Oui je peux et je chois de l'ignorer. Rien du tout :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Guten Tag, wie geht's? Ich habe am Fritag morgen das Deutschexam zu machen. Hoffentlich will ich gute noten bekommen.

Bis spater,
    Fruitty :p

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Guten Tag, wie geht's? Ich habe am Fritag morgen das Deutschexam zu machen. Hoffentlich will ich gute noten bekommen.

Bis spater,
    Fruitty :p

Glücklicher bastard.

• Advertisement

Tu es un singe de cul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Soooooo anybody else a bit screwed for french?

Oh yes.

Originally posted by penguincakes
    Tu es un singe de cul.

Monkeys of arse. Excellent. Shoud come in useful in production ecrite.

Il faut se coucher maintenant. On doit se preparer pour le jour du compte. Quelle anticipation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Well basically in a language I can speak , im quite screwed, but now all I need is a pass in all my subjects so I should be cool! hopefully.

Tu a PD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Any phrases/words/people to recommend for the Tape test?

Holy fúck. 'Twas *ever so slightly* hard. What's the story with the aural? Even tougher than the mock. Nice written paper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ye that aural was absolute crap, and we had a fuzzy recorder so it was really annoying on top of not being able to understand a word of it!!

But ye they better mark it super easy!

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    But ye they better mark it super easy!

I think most of that "they're going to add 5% because it was so hard" thing is just a load of crap. People have been saying all weekend that "they" are going to take 5% off of everybodys english exam because it was so easy. They know what the standard of the paper is when they set it, because, well, *they* set it. Alot of people will probably do (relatively) badly in it and mess up the grade curve, so it'll probably work out ok in the end.

But how more predictable could that written paper have been? Smoking ban comprehension, smoking ban written piece, special olympics and a lovely diary entry. I didn't get an A or anything in the written paper, but I thought it was a bit easier than most years. That'll probably make up for the crap aural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Aye, the tape was super fuzzy and then I couldn't understand a word that's been said. Probably failed the Aural, but hopefully the Written made up for it.

Decent written paper alright.
    The comprehensions were a bit of a bollix in places.

The obligatory and reaction questions were nice though.
    I done the Questions on the Smoking ban in Ireland, English being a better language than French, and what other.... Aah! The formal email on the Cycling trip.

Bastard of a French teacher banking on Informal letters for the last two years - Literally banking on them. He gave us on set of sheets on Formal, in 5th year sometime - Didn't do a thing on informal in 6th year - and never anything on email format. I just wrote the Address of the hotel, followed by an email addy I made up for them, and on the opposite side, my address followed by an email (not my real details).

I wrote well though, the topics were fairly general, and for the one about the smoking ban you could pick up a few phrases and words from the Comprehension.

The Aural was a bollix though.

I'd say I got a high B in that paper, but the Oral and Aural may bring me down to a C.

I'd say I'm lookin at a high C after the oral and the aural. Made a huge mistake by doing the importance of french as a language thing instead of doing the special olympics one. Just blabbered on about how much I loved the french, the language, the culture, the history, the way of life. How language is an essential part of any culture and with the EU enlargement it needs to be protected and learned by everybody. Total bullshít.

Originally posted by conZ
    Decent written paper alright.
    The comprehensions were a bit of a bollix in places.

The obligatory and reaction questions were nice though.
    I done the Questions on the Smoking ban in Ireland, English being a better language than French, and what other.... Aah! The formal email on the Cycling trip.

Bastard of a French teacher banking on Informal letters for the last two years - Literally banking on them. He gave us on set of sheets on Formal, in 5th year sometime - Didn't do a thing on informal in 6th year - and never anything on email format. I just wrote the Address of the hotel, followed by an email addy I made up for them, and on the opposite side, my address followed by an email (not my real details).

I wrote well though, the topics were fairly general, and for the one about the smoking ban you could pick up a few phrases and words from the Comprehension.

The Aural was a bollix though.

I'd say I got a high B in that paper, but the Oral and Aural may bring me down to a C.

WHAT?! There's a format for an email? I did it like a normal letter except without the address!!!! :dunno:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It was a great paper. I mean, I'm not gonna fail now! :D The aural was really crap. Guessed loads. But I'm just not gonna fail. MIGHT even get a low C. I knew stuff on the smoking ban and the email. Lol. Yeay!

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    WHAT?! There's a format for an email? I did it like a normal letter except without the address!!!! :dunno:

The "formal e-mail" thing is a little unclear - I've never done one before anyway. But I'd assume that all you need to do is put in your address, their address and the time. Although I'd say they'll be fairly lenient on layout, since I think it's the first time it's come up.

• Advertisement

I think it said "in email or fax format".

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The format for an email is the same as for a short note. No addresses.

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    The format for an email is the same as for a short note. No addresses.

That's informal e-mails/notes though... formal correspondance always has at least one of the addresses at the top, along with the date. And probably a formal closing paragraph too...

Originally posted by subway_ie
    That's informal e-mails/notes though... formal correspondance always has at least one of the addresses at the top, along with the date. And probably a formal closing paragraph too...
    Ah, that's alrighty so, did the informal email about person can't go to your house because his/her parents watched a show about Ireland being the biggest consumers of drugs and d'alcool in Europe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Emial has to have

a: someone@france.fr
    de: student@exam.ie
    sujet: exam

and as far as I know...teh rest is short letter....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

It doesn't have to have all that. It's the same as the note. Informal this is, as mentioned above.

Has it occurred to anyone how ridiculous the concept of handwriting an email is?

Aural was tough. The written paper was okay. The comprehensions weren't excessively tricky and I managed to scrape a few sentences together for the réactions. Woo and hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Envy

Can someone verify that all those people talking on the tape today were actually speaking in French? I have my doubts.

Yeah, aural was tough.

The reaction questions were -- meh -- fine. Managed to throw in a few idioms here and there.

I didn't do as well in the French exam as I was hoping to -- but that's a feeling I'm only too familiar with.

Au... revuir, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

dude that was the worst listening ever!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Envy
    Can someone verify that all those people talking on the tape today were actually speaking in French? I have my doubts.

My lack of being able to understand it points to being in French. Le francais, c'est ma bete noire.

Advertisement