Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is VoIP crap??

Options
  • 14-06-2004 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

I got myself a decent headset and signed up to Net2Phone but it's crap. The sound quality is worse than a normal phone line, there is an annoying delay and the person I am talking to hears echo all the time.

Is this as good as VoIP gets? Or are there any better providers. What's the point in using it if the sound quality is not even as good as a standard telephone???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

skype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by bazH
    skype?

I need something that will dial someone's normal house phone.

I have tried skype before and it is definitely better sound quality than Net2Phone. Pity they don't offer the facility to call normal phones (although I heard that they will in the future).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    I got myself a decent headset and signed up to Net2Phone but it's crap. The sound quality is worse than a normal phone line, there is an annoying delay and the person I am talking to hears echo all the time.

Is this as good as VoIP gets? Or are there any better providers. What's the point in using it if the sound quality is not even as good as a standard telephone???? :confused:

Its a technology very much in its infancy. Of course its going to get better. But right now there are a lot of restrictions on it, and not all of them are software based... Bandwidth, compression ratios, compression\decompression speed, etc.

Don't write it off just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

http://www.pulver.com/fwd/

just a suggestion!

Advertisement