Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive prob?

Options
  • 14-06-2004 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

well today was browsing boards and then heard some clicking noise coming from Pc...then got system error and it was dumping memory or something on that lines etc.then got the blue screen(hardware prob).

So i knew it was harddrive cause had to restart Pc and then HD didnt show up on post and fiddled around with cables and turned if off for awhile and HD came back but after a short time while just going in and out of folders heard clicking noise again,One click then Two clicks straight after each other....

So this evening no more clicks and ive left Pc on all evening till now while im posting this and not a click in sight.Wud this be the first signs of HD failure?....seemed a bit strange that when boards went down this afternoon and lost some Data that my hard drive went funny,so id say its a coincidence or anyone else have trouble with HD today while browsing boards?...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

your hd is on it's way out by the sounds of things, browsing the boards won't make your hd go nuts!. :eek: I advise you to get a new one, back up your files and re-install windows on your new hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

thanks tact, i had an idea is might be im in denial,just the thoughts of backing everything up.....and reinstalling everything......im still using it now and no clicks.....hey btw wud you know about making an image of my harddrive like ghost it for new HD?....wud it be a hassle?......what software etc my mate has nortons ghost etc....but he has messed up a couple of times ghosting his files...thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ghost is best for that has an indepth how to in the help section and on various websites.

But i seem to say this a lot run the utilies disk you got with the HD on it 1st, if you dont have it get it from whoever made your drives website.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I had clicking problems from my raptor once, os wouldnt boot. The cause.......a copy protected audio cd was in the dvd drive. i feared the worst till i coped on :ninja: Run a SMART program on it and check the drive for errors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic tools, find out what's wrong with the drive. then try to see if it is still in warrenty, you might be eligable for a replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

got the Maxtor Powermax diag tool for HD,so i have to backup most of files before i run it as its a low level format tool etc....but for moment i havent had any clicking since i posted this thread.... but strange things happen to my Cursor, on screen it seems to wander off into a corner on its own? so it might be on its way out still the HD...thanks to everyone for help and suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i dunno about the maxtor tool formatting the disk, try to get it to do an extended drive test which will test the drive only, not format.

you should definately backup though asap.

eh i dunno about the mouse that's a strange one unrelated to the hard disk

Advertisement