Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does mIRC use much download allowance?

• 15-06-2004 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

If downloading files in mIRC, you can be put into a queue and left to wait for hours (sometimes days!) before the file starts to download. So i usually leave it on overnight connected to the channel.

Does letting the mIRC channel run in the background use much of my download allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Downloading a massive text file, is probably going to do about the same damage as mIRC, it's just downloading text (essentially).

While queued for a download it may download some extra information relating to the queue but it's not going to eat into your cap that much at all. Especially when compared to the actual download itself!

You can rest easy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Depends what room you're in. If there's more the 100 people in a room, you're going to notice the damage pretty quickly...

*EDIT* Actually I'm wrong. I connect to 6 channels, and my XChat logs suggest that I pull across about 50megs a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just check the size of your logs (ooer!)
    if you don't have any file size restrictions on them, they should give you a good idea of how much data is transmitted over a certain period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,978 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers everyone!

I imagined it'd just be like downloading a large text file (though streaming..)

Advertisement