Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo And heatsink

Options
  • 15-06-2004 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

He Guys i need you opinion on what to get- Ref MoBo and heatsink
    The Board for this project is a P4p800 is was thinking of getting a lump of This by 2x256MB And this Heatsinik/fan what have you guys thinks of these i have about 200 for memory i only want to get 512Mb and another 100 for the fan/heatsink. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I take it you have the motherboard already?

On the cooling end of things prob the best air cooler on the market at the min is the Thermalright SP-94 ................. http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Thermalright_CPU_Heatsink_Kit_-_SP-94_-_Intel_Socket-478__824_en.html
    Pop on a high CFM fan (make sure you get an adjuster as the you can change the level of noise/speed..... very usefull.

The memory end of things is always hard to call. What chip do you have to overclock (makes a huge difference)?
    The BH6 Mushkin is great Ram but needs high voltage to get up to high FSB with tight timings. Another option would be OCZ EB range, its doing high FSB with low timings and people are loving it. Either would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I was thinking of getting aP4 2.8 or else i might go with this one Oz

Well going with a 2.8C and such good cooling your looking at hitting 3.4-3.6ghz anyway.

Doing the math on that it means your motherboard will have to do 240-260mhz FSB. The Max voltage on the board for the memory is only 2.85v which is not going to get you up to this speed with your memory.
    So........ you will have to use dividers which is a pain and hits the performance of the memory when compared to running it 1:1 with FSB.

Your board would take advantage of memory like Pc4000 Stuff and give you extra bandwidth. There are a good few threads here about Bandwidth V Timings (just search for timings) and i have alot of links posted.

On the Ram issue, i think both use BH6 chips, but id keep it safe and go with Mushkin out of the two. The Winbond BH Ram goes very well with high voltage and is the best ram if you can give it a decent ammount of it (but your mobo will limit you here).

[edit] By the way dont get the "OCZ EL" Ram , the OCZ "LE" was the one i was thinkin of. The best Ram on the market at the min is thought to be the Mushkin L2 , OCZ LE , OCZ EB, all are fantastic performers and overclock very well with extra voltage.

The New Corsair thats out might sort you out, think it does 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 , and 2.5-3-3-7 @ DDR500 on pretty low voltage.............. worth looking into in your case.

COL_LOKI question probally going to sound like a complete newbie, but i have to ask it anyway the mobo support PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 it does not say anything about pc4000? Would i be able to insert a lump of say 256x256 Pc 4000 on this mobo? I'm lost now

Yea absolutly no problem at all.

The main reson the motherboards dont say they support speeds over Pc3200 is because there are no processors that use over that at stock. The Pc4000 is probably the best choice for you and TBH its a pretty easy way to do things :) .
    The Pc3700 OCZ EB looks pretty sweet also.

The 2.8C , Your Mobo, Pc4000 Ram - Make sure its 2 sticks as dual DDR makes a big difference to bandwidth on P4's , and the ThermalRight cooler ......... thats a very good combo for the overclock and should do very nicely.

Theres also the option of the P4 Northwood OR P4 Prescott. There are alot of threads round the place about the prescotts , as you prob know they run very hot when compared to northwoods. Id personally think the P4 Northwood 2.8 would be the better option in your case, performance and overclocking wise.

• Advertisement

Col Loki Thanks a mill for all your help with clearing this up :)

About the Prescotts, Yea i have seen several threads about the Prescott and overheating that turned me away from them

Advertisement