Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland Vs Germany

• 15-06-2004 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Im going for holland to win on pure hatred motivation more than anything else. This represents for me one of the more exciting matches. The highlight of all the games was when that dutch player gobbed 2twice on the germany player... sorry cant remember the name.

Van Nisistroy was already talking about the 2nd world war and i think this be a great game

Im (hoping) holland can win 2 - 1. But it is hard to beat the Germans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It was rijkard (spelling please!) who gobbed on Voeller. That was your highlight out of all the games great games the teams have played over the years including the final? Whatever floats yer boat..

I cant see Germany doing very well with all the problem in the team at the moment both on and off the pitch, but ya can never know what mood the german team wil lturn up in. Hopefully they will scrape a 1-0 victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Germans will get analed here, Unless superstar Ballack can save the day, 2-0 win to the flatlanders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    . I cant see Germany doing very well with all the problem in the team at the moment both on and off the pitch, but ya can never know what mood the german team wil lturn up in. Hopefully they will scrape a 1-0 victory.

I don't know about that, Holland are not a very united team either and if the friendly against Ireland is anything to go by they are very beatable. Given the history and Hype I,ll go for a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

neither side have been setting the world on fire lately.
    Never write off the germans.

Holland to win narrowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Holland 2 win by at least 2! Van the Donkey(sorry Man 4 da Utd supports) will get at least one of them! knock Germany out as quick as poss or they will do a WC and get 2 da final wit a sh*t team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

It was rijkard (spelling please!) who gobbed on Voeller. That was your highlight out of all the games great games the teams have played over the years including the final? Whatever floats yer boat..

yeah, that was it... he done it twice and fúck did I laugh and laugh and laugh... Voller was pissed after the 1st one and was raging after the 2nd one HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA magnificant stuff

Germany promise to bore us to death and I really hope they get a good hamering by the Dutch. Fúck do the dutch hate the germans !!

Technically Holland are brilliant, they are probably one of the best in the world in this area but have absolutely no team spirit or put the ball in the back of the net enough.

It just show you that you can have great players and win nothing without the proper structures/system in place. Proper planning and you can have a crap team and still do well (Take note Ireland)

It's going to be hard to call but I still think (hope) the dutch can win or get a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Germans will win it, the Dutch will be all over the shop team wise.. They just cant work together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Holland to go out in the group stages. The germans are crafty old ba****ds and will probably get a draw and might even win.

Germany have a history of winning when it seems impossible. For example the last world cup the worst german team of all time made the final. In the fifties the won the world cup beating Hungary in the final 3-2. That is the only game Hungary lost in four years and they had beaten Germany in the group stages 8-3 and were 2-0 up in the final after 10 minutes. Or in '74 when Germany beat Holland who were the best team in the world at the time.

The germans are crafty and the dutch stupid.The dutch will fall out because someone can't believe that it is not butter and someone can believe that it is not butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This is the auld enemy for the Dutch, their derby match, their biggest match, and likewise for the Germans. It emanates from the War but also that epic 1974 WC Final. The Dutch always raise their game for this match, as do the Germans and it is normally an epic encounter and a great tussle to see. The ENG/FRA match the other night turned out to be a classic encounter, a match to remember and here's hoping that tonight's game will also be a feast of football and intrigue.

There is disharmony in the Dutch camp but that is normal. On paper, the Dutch have far and away more talent but whether they can put that together to win is another matter. Confidence is everything and if the Germans get the first goal (header or something) then it will make a real game of it. The Dutch should win it and I'm hoping they do cause a win would help them settle and hopefully play some class football for the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

If you were to take friendly results at face value you would have to go for Holland. Losing 0-1 at home to Ireland is without doubt a better result than Germany's 0-2 loss to Hungary in their final waem-up game. Having said that, I think Ireland were deserving winners while Germany seem to have been a bit unlucky.
    If Holland can sort out the inner problems of the team they could win Euro 2004 but this seems like a long shot. I reckon Germany will frustrate them and maybe even sneak a win in the latter stages as the Dutch lose interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Holland by 2 or more hopefully.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The Germans will win it, the Dutch will be all over the shop team wise.. They just cant work together.

I agree 1-0 Germany , they will dominate the game and Kevin Kuryanyi will score .

Originally posted by Stiltskin
    If you were to take friendly results at face value you would have to go for Holland. Losing 0-1 at home to Ireland is without doubt a better result than Germany's 0-2 loss to Hungary in their final waem-up game. Having said that, I think Ireland were deserving winners while Germany seem to have been a bit unlucky.
    If Holland can sort out the inner problems of the team they could win Euro 2004 but this seems like a long shot. I reckon Germany will frustrate them and maybe even sneak a win in the latter stages as the Dutch lose interest.

u forgot to mention Hollands 2-0 (i think ) defeat to Belgium , who came third in they're group that had Croatia and Bulgaria ahead of them and Germany's 5-1 deafeat to Romania . They both have crap form , but before the last world cup Germany had got hammered by England in qualifying and then lost 1-0 to Wales :Rob Earnshaw's goal (which at the time looked very bad ) .

Originally posted by Big Ears
    u forgot to mention Hollands 2-0 (i think ) defeat to Belgium , who came third in they're group that had Croatia and Bulgaria ahead of them and Germany's 5-1 deafeat to Romania . They both have crap form , but before the last world cup Germany had got hammered by England in qualifying and then lost 1-0 to Wales :Rob Earnshaw's goal (which at the time looked very bad ) .

Then in the last World Cup Germany only conceded one goal up until the final! The thing is Germany learn from their losses it seems to me that Holland do not they only fight!

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    Then in the last World Cup Germany only conceded one goal up until the final! The thing is Germany learn from their losses it seems to me that Holland do not they only fight!

I agree and thats why I think Germany will win .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Just to put some context on this game, it is the first time they have met competitively since 1992, so 12 years ago. They do arrange friendlies though ever couple of years. This is encouraged by the Governments of the two countries. Woudlnt it be good if Ireland and England could follow suit, peace process and all that. 1995 in Lansdowne is a long time ago now.

The meeting in the WC Final in 2004 was the first ever, and hence there was huge pressure on the players to perform. This was a re-run of WW2 on a football field, not in terms of dirty tackling, although there was some, but just using the football as the weapon.

Germany (GER) 1:3 ( 1 : 1 ) Netherlands (NED)
    Friendly 2002 GELSENKIRCHEN GERMANY - 20.11.2002

Netherlands (NED) 2:1 ( 2 : 1 ) Germany (GER)
    Friendly 2000 AMSTERDAM NETHERLANDS - 23.02.2000

Germany (GER) 1:1 ( 0 : 1 ) Netherlands (NED)
    Friendly 1998 GELSENKIRCHEN GERMANY - 18.11.1998

Netherlands (NED) 0:1 ( 0 : 1 ) Germany (GER)
    Friendly 1996 ROTTERDAM NETHERLANDS - 24.04.1996

Netherlands (NED) 3:1 ( 2 : 0 ) Germany (GER)
    UEFA EURO 1992 GOTHENBURG SWEDEN - 18.06.1992

Germany Federal Republic (FRG) 2:1 ( 0 : 0 ) Netherlands (NED)
    1990 FIFA World Cup Italy (TM) MILAN ITALY - 24.06.1990

Netherlands (NED) 1:1 ( 0 : 0 ) Germany Federal Republic (FRG)
    FIFA WC 1990 Prel. Comp. UEFA ROTTERDAM NETHERLANDS - 26.04.1989

Germany Federal Republic (FRG) 0:0 Netherlands (NED)
    FIFA WC 1990 Prel. Comp. UEFA [MUNICH] GERMANY FEDERAL REPUBLIC - 19.10.1988

Germany Federal Republic (FRG) 1:2 ( 0 : 0 ) Netherlands (NED)
    UEFA EURO 1988 [HAMBURG] GERMANY FEDERAL REPUBLIC - 21.06.1988

Germany Federal Republic (FRG) 3:1 ( 2 : 0 ) Netherlands (NED)
    Friendly 1986 [DORTMUND] GERMANY FEDERAL REPUBLIC - 14.05.1986

Germany Federal Republic (FRG) 2:2 ( 1 : 1 ) Netherlands (NED)
    1978 FIFA World Cup Argentina (TM) LA PLATA ARGENTINA - 18.06.1978

Netherlands (NED) 1:2 ( 1 : 2 ) Germany Federal Republic (FRG)
    1974 FIFA World Cup Germany (TM) [MUNICH] GERMANY FEDERAL REPUBLIC - 07.07.1974

Yes all is not well in the Dutch camp, most of the players werent even speaking to the manager LOL. . Hasnt 4 of the players got together and picked the team ? HAHA players picking the team. That advocat coach must have been bullied into changing his tatics to use wingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Germany 1 Holland 1

Hoping Holland and Czech Repuplic get out of this group, the sooner Germany are on the way home the better

Originally posted by Harry2001
    Germany 1 Holland 1

Hoping Holland and Czech Repuplic get out of this group, the sooner Germany are on the way home the better

why? :confused:

I think he thinks Holland are an exciting team and Germany are realy boring ,which would be wrong because they are both boring .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

In the fifties the won the world cup beating Hungary in the final 3-2. That is the only game Hungary lost in four years and they had beaten Germany in the group stages 8-3 and were 2-0 up in the final after 10 minutes.
    It's since been reported that the Germans deliberately threw that match in order to lull the Hungarians into a false sence of security because Germany had (rightly) predicted that they'd have to play them again if they got themselves to the final.

//

I'm backing the Germans to win tonight. In international football terms at least not much gives me more pleasure than seeing the Netherlands getting beaten.

thats just stupid throwing the first match makes qualiying from a group much much harder , they would have to get a win and a draw at minumum .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Put a draw in the pools thread, but now I fancy Germany to win... 2-0.

Originally posted by Pigman II
    It's since been reported that the Germans deliberately threw that match in order to lull the Hungarians into a false sence of security because Germany had (rightly) predicted that they'd have to play them again if they got themselves to the final.

//

I'm backing the Germans to win tonight. In international football terms at least not much gives me more pleasure than seeing the Netherlands getting beaten.

The fact still remains that that is the only game that Hungary lost in a four year period. Did Germany also deliberately let Hungary go 2-0 up after 10 minutes just for a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The fact still remains that that is the only game that Hungary lost in a four year period. Did Germany also deliberately let Hungary go 2-0 up after 10 minutes just for a laugh
    I know! It was a great win and I'm not trying to downplay it. If anything I'm only trying to downplay the significance 8-3 loss as not being a true reflection of the Germans quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Because I don't like them, it that not a good enough reason :D

I don't think Holland are anything special but I'd prefer to see them and Czechs in the quarter finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Big Ears
    They both have crap form , but before the last world cup Germany had got hammered by England in qualifying and then lost 1-0 to Wales :Rob Earnshaw's goal (which at the time looked very bad ) .

Exactly, before the last World Cup Germany got beaten well by Germany but still got to the finals too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

To be fair, Germany didn't exactly have a really hard task to get to the WC final, even Ireland could have done it if we won the group (had *cough* Roy). Paraguay 1-0, USA 1-0, S Korea 1-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Dutch score first they'll win if they conceed they'll be scraping with each other by half-time!

Mike.

• Advertisement

what ?? supporting zee Germans ?? I cant belive it . Give me Holland and Rijkaard any day. :D

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Exactly, before the last World Cup Germany got beaten well by Germany but still got to the finals too..

Which is the point I have been trying to make for ages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well whats the predictions, i have Holland on for a straight win @ 2/1 and a handicap of -1goal to win @ 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

2-1 to Germany with Klose and ballack scoring for Germany. RVN for The dutch

2-2. Ballack and van der Vaart to score one each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

1-1 I'd say.

Hopefully it'll live up to the hype

• Advertisement

1-0 to Germany NOOOOOOO :(

what a stupid free to give away. Germany dont even look in the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Soft goal but germany arr playing better than the dutch up to now.

Ha! They may have no players fit to lace Der Kaisers boots but Germany understand tactics and disiplin.

The Dutch are strangers to both.

Mike.

the germans really are quite impressive. They have a pretty crap side but are really well organised and as pointed out on the telly they are just doing the simple things right and can deliver when it counts. Pity we didnt have some of this organisation in our football setup

My German friend told me that the Dutch newspapers have given out German Vodo dolls HAHAHAHA classic stuff:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-1, horseface. CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP

I can see germany trying to accept a draw and conceding right at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Another great ending :)

Come on Germany! :D

1-1..... I must start putting some money on these games :dunno:

1-1, proberly a fair result as ther Dutch came good with first Overmars then VanHoydonkey giving the German defence a hard time. Czechs might be the happiest though.

Mike.

germany deserved to win it, they dominated for 80 mins.

Happy with the draw. relieved to see the germans not winning. Hopefully Holland can get some team spirit together and burry the cheques

ARGH! Why did they sit back why oh why!? Holland were psoing no real threat till they decided to sit back that extra 40yrds! The cross for the goal should never have come in but fair play to van kneeisstillsore for a good finish. Schweinsteiger looked very good when he came on. Been watching him for munich over the last season and he has really impressed. I was roaring for yer man to hit the ball in the final seconds! Just thump it somewhere!

Should be an interesting time watching how the remaining games go.

Alles!

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    ARGH! Why did they sit back why oh why!?
    It's the psychology of the sport TBH. We all know that attack is usually the best form of defense but teams will sit back as long as football exists.

Its the liverpool mentality, the seemed to think that if u sit backed when you go 1 up you can absorb the pressure till the end, abd it very rarely worked.

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Its the liverpool mentality, the seemed to think that if u sit backed when you go 1 up you can absorb the pressure till the end, abd it very rarely worked.

Indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Happy with the draw. relieved to see the germans not winning. Hopefully Holland can get some team spirit together and burry the cheques

I'm happy they got the draw, although I'm not entirely sure it was deserved.
    I just like Holland to go through, on a good day, there are few teams that play as beautiful as the dutchies :)

Read a headline in a newspaper that summarizes the dutch team pretty well: "11 stars and no team".

• Advertisement
Advertisement