Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 0.9 out now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Already downloaded. I was on my way here to post about it ;). It feels a lot quicker/slicker when you're using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, i was going to post this yesterday, damn boards went tits up though.
    just about to install this now (have Firefox .09rc installed atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I got it too... is it meant to say version 0.8.0+ in the About tab? The filename was definately 0.9 !

Matt

You got MozillaFirefox0.9rc.exe. It's the release candidate that was up there until about 5 minutes ago. I just installed 0.9 directly over it. I was delaying posting until the official release version came out but tman beate me to it ;)

Judging by the 3Kb change in distribution filesize, I'd guess the only changes made were to configure everything to say 0.9 instead of 0.8.0+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    You got MozillaFirefox0.6rc.exe. It's the release candidate that was up there until about 5 minutes ago. I just installed 0.9 directly over it.

6=9 :p

Indeed I did, just copped the filename difference.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

got it installed, love the feedback wheel on top right :)

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    6=9 :p

I hate it when people quote your typos before you have time to correct them.

And as a mathimatician might tell you 6 = 9 for sufficiently large values of 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Slick, boards.ie menus are running much quicker when I open multiple tabs, which was a big problem up to now.

So what are the main new features of 0.9?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So, what kind of new features/fixes are there? I can't download it till I get home.

I think the 0.9 release was planned as a bug fixing, speed improvement and distribution size reduction release.

The release notes:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.9.html

If you look at the project roadmap you can also see that a relatively tight release cycle is planned for 1.0b (July) followed by 1.0(September) so they need a stable 0.9.
    http://mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html

• Advertisement

Anyone got a screenshot of this "crisp, clear look" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Stephen
    Anyone got a screenshot of this "crisp, clear look" ?
    http://members.boards.ie/seamus/FF0.9.jpg (167KB)

It's basically 0.8 with some new icons and a tidied up options panel. I like it.

You can get an idea what they look (albeit in a small image) like on the main FireFox page:
    http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/

The icons there are large and the display area size in that shot makes them look bigger. I have mine on small and think they're tidier that way.

In a nice recursive twist the final 1.0 release will be called 'Phoenix' (the original name of the browser). It's really come on a long way since I started using it full time when Phoenix 0.4 came out.

Looks very similar to the old skin, except for the circle-dot thingies in the top right.

/curses poxy work firewall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh, i love the animated loading icon that appears to the left of a tab.
    not too sure about the rest of the default theme though.
    i'm loving the overall tidiness of it all:)

only 4.7mb as wellicon14.gif
    oooh, it warns you when you're closing a window with a couple of tabs open!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

with firefox 0.8, any link I opened from MSN messenger opened in the current firefox window - 0.9 opens a new window. anyway to change this? - even to a new tab or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone else's Help-> About box still say 0.8?

Mine says "version 0.9" in the middle alright, but at the bottom it says:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040614 Firefox/0.8

You must have downloaded the Release Candidate version which was called 0.8.0+. It was replaced with the full version just before this thread was created this morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

so what are the advantages to using firefox over another internet client, say IE. Sell it to me people!

Tabbed browsing is the big thing for me, but see here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why/

• Advertisement

firefox isn't vulnerable to all the ****ing spyware and ****e written for IE. More secure. Tabbed browsing. Built in download manager. Skinnable. loads of extensions available. Probably more stuff that I'm leaving out.

http://update.mozilla.org/ is now live, for some very nice extensions and themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

MY GAWWWWD!

I have being using Mozilla of one form or another now for ages. I have to say this is the best release for me since the start, it is so much faster. Loads up instantly and pages are popping up a bit faster too. What ever they've done for 0.8-0.9 has really made the difference for me. Huge performance boost :D:D:D, such a nerd, but its great!

have all my extensions working now aswell. I love the load icon on the tabs as well. Very swish.

The adblock extension doesn't seem to work with 0.9 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

working fine for me. You download the new one? Handy to find with their new update page.

link

Tried that. I click on "install now" and bugger all happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

try -> http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

firefox still doesn't put the address of a timed out tab into the address bar, just leaves it blank, the one reason i can't use it, very nice otherwise

Same problem. I wonder if my settings are causing some kind of conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The adblock extension (which I've just installed myself - looks promising as an idea) says that it requires a browser restart (go to Tools -> Extensions ; that's where I saw the message).

I've been using Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox since 0.4 (I think) - I moved to it from Opera as my primary browser. Naturally, I have IE for when I need it, but that's not often (*ahem* dabs.com *ahem*).

The swirly icon thing is nicked from Mac OS X - it's already present in Firefox 0.8 for that platform (I have living proof here on my left, which reminds me, must update that machine too). It's a nice touch and gives you better feedback as to which pages are busy, rather than a single rotating icon for all tabs in a given window.

0.9 is (to my mind) a notable improvement: it feels faster to me and somehow "more together", if that makes any sense. If only they'd get rid of my pet gripe about browsers descended from Mozilla: status bar messages. If the status bar says "Waiting for {site}...", and you flick to another tab, that message stays in the status window, until you hit a mouseover or something; it'll default back to the "waiting..." message until the other page has loaded. Maybe it's intentional, but it bugs the hell out of me, for some reason...

Overall, though, two thumbs up... :D
    Gadget

• Advertisement

Originally posted by parasite
    try -> http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

firefox still doesn't put the address of a timed out tab into the address bar, just leaves it blank, the one reason i can't use it, very nice otherwise

Yes, I've noticed that too, hopefully 1.0 will round up all these little bugs.

I can't remember the last time I've had a major bug or crash with a Firebird or Firefox release.

I'd say there will be a media frenzy when 1.0 comes out, especially in the tech sections of daily newspapers, etc. (I remember a piece about Firebird 0.6 or 0.7 in the Sunday Times "Doors" section) So hopefully lots more people will make the switch.

Is it just me, or does mail.yahoo.com not work at all with Firefox? I always have to use IE to check my Yahoo mail?

Advertisement