Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 0.9 out now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hmm, seem to be having a wee problem with 0.9. Tried to install a couple of extensions, when I restarted Firefox to complete the installation, I just get a 'Finishing Installing Extensions' dialogue on opening Firefox. Tried reinstalling with no joy, the message is still there.

As I know sfa about how Firefox works (just like using it :) ), can somebody point me in the direction of how to sort this out. I need to delete the extensions, but can't find where they are trying to install from/to.

Cheers,

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by plazzTT
    Is it just me, or does mail.yahoo.com not work at all with Firefox? I always have to use IE to check my Yahoo mail?

Erm, I can't be sure, but it might just be you - I have it open in another tab right now, and I can't remember having a specific problem with it at any time...?

For what it's worth, I can personally vouch for it working just fine in at least the last three releases of Firefox/Firebird/yadda yadda on both Win2k and Mac OS X (10.2.8) platforms...

(I'll grant you, it took a little longer than usual this morning after the "upgrade" (revised UI, 100MB of storage (where's the bubbly?!)), until it got all the images cached - but otherwise it's been fine for me...)

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as with always this program keeps getting better and better and better.....:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thanks for that Gadget.

I can't open www.yahoo.com with Firefox either. I enter in the URL it loads for just a sec, and then just stays on whatever page I had open, and the icon in the topright stops spinning. I'll ask about it @ MozillaZine.

And my Yahoo account still has only 6MB. :(

yahoo works fine here on FF 0.9 final release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

I've only recently started using Firefox and I really like it. Strangely enough it seems to be slower for loading pages than IE, maybe its just because it seems to load all the text first and then the images.

It doesn't work too well with my site below either, though I think I'll be able to fix that.

There's a cool extension on update.mozilla.org that adds a "View this page in IE" link to the context menu in Firefox.

Handy for quicking viewing a non-Firefox compatible page in IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Looks like the fonts problem has been fixed.
    My adblock is working perfect here.

Originally posted by blobert
    I've only recently started using Firefox and I really like it. Strangely enough it seems to be slower for loading pages than IE, maybe its just because it seems to load all the text first and then the images.

It doesn't work too well with my site below either, though I think I'll be able to fix that.

looks fine for me after a quick glance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i installed 0.9 over my old 0.8 installation, maybe my old extensions are buggering it up? (note that no extensions appear in the extensions menu except for "DOM Inspector 1.0").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

well they do warn not to do that.

You should try install it to another directory, it would be very quick to try and see if thats the problem. It was actually quite good installing this time when making a new directory, it set up all my cookies pw's history bookmarks etc'.

The only problem i've ever had when updating is with regards to flash. I use the flash click to view thing and I always seem to forget to reinstall the extension so until I do it just leaves the flash out of pages altogether.

I think there is an extension that will allow you to see old extensions and disable them if they are interfering with stuff, haven't tried it myself tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Where is this adblock extension?

Also what extensions people using?
    Atm i have none as none of the 0.8s ones show up in the list.
    kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Gideon
    working fine for me. You download the new one? Handy to find with their new update page.

link

^there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

have to admit ive never heard of this firefox but i DL it and im amazed at how faster it is from I.E...thanks alot.......also downloaded extra themes too which are nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Great version. I really love the fact that they've finally sorted the History list alphabetically.

As for extensions, I use Adblock, All-in-one Gestures, Tabbrowser preferences and Undo Close Tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

anyone have any problems getting extension/themes to download/install???

look great and what a noticably speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

hey all, thanks for bringing the upgrad to my attention, im having the same issues as robert here, how can i stop this from happening and i dont think i saw the answer in the thread already
    Originally posted by RobertFoster
    with firefox 0.8, any link I opened from MSN messenger opened in the current firefox window - 0.9 opens a new window. anyway to change this? - even to a new tab or something...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

hmm slight little niggling problem, when i open a new tab it jumps straight to that tab, due to the nature of boards.ie with so many links etc. i would click on the pages i wanted and let them load while i read the old one. Does anyone know how i would be able to stop it jumping straight to any new tab I create?

oh also when i click on a link from outlook it opens a new firefox window and not a new tab, is there any way i could change this also?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

it in the options under advanced and browsing. second option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by parasite

firefox still doesn't put the address of a timed out tab into the address bar, just leaves it blank, the one reason i can't use it, very nice otherwise

to fix:
    Go to about:config and set browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to True.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahh noobish Qs.

When i open a new tab how can i get it to open on my homepage ie google.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Looks good, I did a complete clean install as I had messed up 0.8 with too many plugins and extentions.

The extention update page is much more user friendly also.

My favourite extention has to be "Reload Every" , very useful for viewing a very busy forum page on which posts are flying in every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by weemcd
    Does anyone know how i would be able to stop it jumping straight to any new tab I create?

oh also when i click on a link from outlook it opens a new firefox window and not a new tab, is there any way i could change this also?
    Try the tabbrowser extension. The only firefox extension I can't live without :D

cheers Jilmn that works a treat :D

Does anyone know of a "Save Tabs" feature or extension?

I think it's called Save Workspace in Opera, you can save the current tabs that are open, so that you can close Firefox and then reload all the tabs you had open when you restart it.

actually a n00by problem again, with the new tabbrowser any time i click on a link it jumps straight to it, im sure there is a setting in the tabbrowser extension preferences anyone know what it is? i want to have it set up that any link opens in a new tab but remains on the current one while it loads

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by weemcd
    actually a n00by problem again, with the new tabbrowser any time i click on a link it jumps straight to it, im sure there is a setting in the tabbrowser extension preferences anyone know what it is? i want to have it set up that any link opens in a new tab but remains on the current one while it loads
    Goto the tabbrowser extensions preferences, then choose focus, and click the newly opened tabs you want loaded in the background.

again thanks a million :D it seems bery usefull that plugin with a little exploring i could help me alot, cheers Jilm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by plazzTT
    Does anyone know of a "Save Tabs" feature or extension?

I think it's called Save Workspace in Opera, you can save the current tabs that are open, so that you can close Firefox and then reload all the tabs you had open when you restart it.

Ctrl + D, check the box "Bookmark all tabs in a folder"

• Advertisement

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Ctrl + D, check the box "Bookmark all tabs in a folder"

Nice one, thanks.

I use the great "Open in Tabs" bookmarks feature numerous times every day, but I never knew you could do the opposite (save tabs to bookmarks). :)

Advertisement