Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia and linksys

• 15-06-2004 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Hi
    having finally got broadband from eircom in the home which included their 4 port netopia modem I rushed off and purchased a linksys wrv54g wireless device...set it up using wpa and everything seemed to work a treat..trouble is it seems to crash after a while...at this stage im not sure if its the linksys or the netopia thats the problem..mostly the netopia seems to work fine by its self...ie just plug in a patch lead...although at one point even this was not working..then there is the linksys...when it is plugged in it just seems to go haywire after a while....stops giving out addresses..its like the netopia seems to kill the linksys after a while as if it was flooding it somehow and even rebooting both doesn't seem to sort the issue..
    has anyone seen any problems like this when using wireless onto the netopia...

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Just off the top of my head (you may have done this already)
    - both the netopia and the Linksys are dhcp servers - one of them will have to have this disabled or else there will be conflict ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

yes the netopia is set for dhcp..gave the linksys interface connected to the netopia a fixed address however as it was not picking up an address.. this worked for a while..i did not disable dhcp on the netopia mind you.. the linksys is still configured to give clients a dhcp address

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That LInksys looks good - just ordered a WAG54g today for myself.

I was just doodling here and I definitely think the first port of call is to stop the Netopia giving out DHCP - that will certainly reduce one point of conflict.

This seems to be a router so its "external" (one connected to netopia) interface will be connected to the netopia so should have an ip address in the same subnet as the netopias "internal" (one connected to Linksys) interface.

Of course I could be totally wrong but I'm a bit rusty at this..but this will give you something to do until one of the serious routing kiddies comes on board..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Yeah, I have the exact same kit at home and all you do is dissable the DHCP part of the netopia and patch it to the uplink of the linksys and let it do its jazz,

Also turn off NAT.

ok will give it a go and see what happens

• Advertisement

still having problems..works for a while then drops off..when I plug the netopia out of the linksys I can access the linksys fine...
    to recap...on the netopia dhcp is turned off the linksys is configured witha static address, dns etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

try setting the linksys to be dhcp instead of just static.

should work, If it doesn't give netopia.com a shout they got a good section where you can email off your problems, and send you back the answer, just tell them you want to dissable dhcp on the netopia so it can connect to a wireless router.

ya had tried that originally but no good..will try emailing netopia..after that its goodbye netopia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i setup the same 2 pieces of kit together for a friend
    i didnt even disable dhpc and nat on the linksys
    i just pluged the netopia into one of the regular ports on the linksys (ie not the one that says internet)
    that way you are just using the linksys as a switch

not working either...

• Advertisement
Advertisement