Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2004 Refereeing Standards

• 15-06-2004 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Totti hacked at a Dane near the end in a tackle worthy of Keano at his very nastiest.

The Ref saw it. Yet he only gave Totti a Yellow for what shoulda been a straight red (he studded yer mans knee after yer man had released the ball, Totti was never going for the ball as it was on th eground )

Had that been reversed, the Dane woulda been red carded.

Is there one set of rules for the bigger teams and one for the lesser ones?

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Although I agree that the standard of refereeing has been pretty crap so far, there's no way you can say the Dane would have been red carded if the situation was reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I agree that that incident led to an awful decision by the referee but in general I think the refereeing has been excellent.

They seem to be clamping down on diving, feigned injuries and cheating players in general and imo they're doing a good job of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The referring is crap so far... some dodgy decision. Sweden got a penalty which they shouldnt have...

That italian ref that looks like an alien referring the first game with portugal wasnt exactly on the ball.

maybe its a slow start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The refs seem trigger happy with yellow cards but relucatant to show reds.

There should have been 3 in the England game(Sylvestre,James and Rooney). Totti should have gone last night.

Don't agree there is one set of rules for 1 though - the refs have been equalyy poor for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Muck
    Totti hacked at a Dane near the end in a tackle worthy of Keano at his very nastiest.

The Ref saw it. Yet he only gave Totti a Yellow for what shoulda been a straight red (he studded yer mans knee after yer man had released the ball, Totti was never going for the ball as it was on th eground )

Had that been reversed, the Dane woulda been red carded.

Is there one set of rules for the bigger teams and one for the lesser ones?

M

Totti should have gone but when I first saw it ,I taught he had just barged into him , only after the replay did I see what he done .

So it would have been hard on the ref , but he should be in position to see things properly and im sure if he saw that properly Totti would have walked .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    That italian ref that looks like an alien referring the first game with portugal wasnt exactly on the ball.
    Don't say a bad word about Collina.;)

The worst refereeing so far has been the Russia-Portugal game and the Italy-Denmark game. The ref gave 8 yellow cards and a red in the Russia game and there was hardly a bad tackle in the game, that could end up being crucial for both teams. The ref in the Denmark match booked Tomasson for diving, Tomasson stood up 2 seconds after he was nudged and clearly wasn't looking for a penalty. In normal speed Totti's tackle didn't look that bad so I could forgive the ref for missing it. Totti also had the cheek to give out to the ref after getting booked.

Mike Riley made two crucial decisions in the Sweden game yesterday. He gave an indirect freekick to Sweden when another ref probably would have given a penalty. He also gave Sweden a penalty when it should have been a freekick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

saw the title of t e thread and the name of the first poster and thought that's about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah the reffing has been pretty awful so far. The guy from the Croatia-Switzerland match particularily comes to mind. He booked five Croats even tho (to my memory) nothing any of them did was particularly malicious or strenuous.

UEFA have charged Croatia with improper conduct now even how they acted would probably have seemed tame by premiership standards.

That said tho any smart team knows that the refs are going to be tough for the first set of matches to set the standard. You can get away with more in the 2nd and 3rd games ;)

The croats were diving like mad , each time they got in the box they dived , especially Prso , and Mornar , who should have been sent off for all the jumping onto the ground they did .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Refereeing is always a topical issue because it varies widely. In international tournaments such as the EC, there are a mixture of refs who all have their quirkes and nuances to control the game. Some refs give a yellow card early on to try and stamp out nasty tackles. Others prefer to let a few bad tackles go by and give verbal warnings and only give out yellows.

The problem is that refs are very human and can only see the game from their viewing angle. In such a competition, they get together to decide how they should retain control. Not all the refs agree on the adopted tactics. It looks like red cards are only rarely to be given out.

Collina is a good ref and I didnt see much wrong with him in the first match. The ref in the EN v FR match didnt send off players in obvious situation (Silvestre and James). The other ref probably missed Totti's lethal kick. The slow-mo cameras give the viewers 20 angles and hindsight vision. The refs must decide in real-time which cant be compared. I think that linesmen should also have whistles and be more active, or else introduce another ref, ala basketball, Aussie Rules, US NFL, etc. Even GAA has more officials than the richest sport in the world. It would also be good to use fewer referrees to encourage consistency.

No-one envies the position of the referee .... as so much in each game and in this tournament will depend on the decisions they make. eg: if Silvestre was sent off, would France have come back with ony 10-men? Its a funny old game.

• Advertisement

its hard to use fewer refs because they dont want refs refing a game that has their own country or teams from their own countrys group or teams their own country could play next .

Advertisement