Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200gig HD's €132

• 15-06-2004 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM IDE hard drives, 200GB capacity with 8MB cache €132 at komplett this week only, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

very reputable hard drives as well.
    they're nearly silent, not great performers though.

i'd buy 2 if i had the cash to spare:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

They start from €118 on jes........but the slightly more expensive delivery makes up for the difference if your only buying one drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by tman
    very reputable hard drives as well.
    they're nearly silent, not great performers though.

i'd buy 2 if i had the cash to spare:(

I've heard these new ones are pretty quick

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20040123/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

[ img ] token pic of a hard drive [/img]
    Maxtor MaXLine Plus II 250GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-022-MD)
    Maxtor® MaXLine™ Plus II drives are ultra-reliable enterprise-class disk drives designed for low I/O applications such as near-line, NAS and other secondary storage solutions. MaXLine Plus II offers better speed and density compared to tape or optical archiving solutions for superior near-line storage. MaXLine Plus II drives are ideal for low-transactional enterprise applications where cost per GB and storage density are critical parameters. They offer 7200 RPM spin speeds, 250GB capacity, =9.0 ms average seek time, a choice of Maxtor-developed Ultra ATA/133 interface, an 8MB buffer and an outstanding warranty.

Price: £99.00 (£116.33 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html

I've heard they charge over the odds for delivery though, and maxtors aren't the greatest in my book. Am I wrong?

Why bother when the Seagates are faster and quieter? They are ore or less the same price on Komplett last time I checked. OcUK have a poor delivery service to Ireland, in my experience. Their RMA service is very poor too.

• Advertisement

The maxtor 250gig is 205€ on komplett

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    The maxtor 250gig is 205€ on komplett

I was talking about the Seagates.

Ok, but you can't really compare like with like since the maxtor is 50gig bigger than the largest Seagate on komplett (the one on offer this week)

DOH I missed that. Personally I'd still get the Seagate though. Most reliable drives I've owned over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

Anything for poor laptop users? My 4200 rpm 40 gig is as slow as a Luas! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Am I correct in saying that with WinXP you'll need SP1 installed to recognised the whole drive?
    Without it installed it will only see upto about 127Gb
    Or am I talking nonsense? :dunno:

I wouldn't mind getting two of these for a Raid setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I dunno, I would have thought XP would see the whole thing. If not you could probably just make 2 partitions out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Could be an issue for some.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 303013
    Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.

Maxtor have a utility that automates this process.

You'll probably lose about 30Gb after format though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maxtor...= russian roulette with your data....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by positron
    Anything for poor laptop users? My 4200 rpm 40 gig is as slow as a Luas! ;)

I use a couple of external USB2 3.5" 7,200rpm drives for games, videos, mp3s and graphics stuff. I only use the internal drive for essentials and programming projects.

Advertisement