Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Insurance calculation?

Options
  • 15-06-2004 11:40am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has experience of insuring a classic car, what the criteria are for calculating the premium?

Is it like normal insurance in that all cars a grouped according to power, value, weight, etc, or is it simpler and all cars cost the same to insure, but things like home address or age are the factors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Believe it or not, I actually got a quote off a company for a classic car. I met all their criteria - age 25+, own another insured car, full clean driver licence held 5 years, car was over 20 years old- the quote was for 535 eur tpft, or 812 eur fully comp.
    So I bought my car, got back on to them, and they would not honour it as I should have been told that for the particular car I wanted, I had to be 30.
    So they have car criteria to begin with.
    In the end we got a garage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

visit eforecourt.ie (or .com) for info on classic cars/insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Go to Carole Nash for a quote.

You need to be over 25, full clean license with a full time car insured and also a member of a classic car club.

The car needs to be over 20, engine size, left or right hand drive, convertible or not, it doesn't matter.

I am 28 full license, 5 yrs no claims, insured on another car, joined a vintage club for about 20 Euro, and got a quote (2000 miles per year, I mean who's counting) on a 77 Triumph Spitfire 1.5 convertible of 299 Euro 3rd party, or 359 fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Carole Nash is the company I was on to, If its a 911 you want, you have to be 30. So I dont know what other cars require you to be 30 to get a classic policy with them. And get the guys name, and a faxed quote, not that it helped my case...

Advertisement