Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAM from FF

Options
  • 15-06-2004 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

well I have no idea where they got my e-mail address as I have never voted or had any association with FF in my life
    Voting will take place Friday in the Local and European Elections as well as the Citizenship referendum. In some areas you may also be voting for your own Town or Borough Council elections. Please support your local Fianna Fáil team by giving your number 1 vote to the FF candidate of your choice, taking into account any agreed vote divisions. Continue your preferences by voting 2, 3, 4 etc for the other Fianna Fáil candidates in the area.

To see your Local Representatives: http://www.fiannafail.ie/new/site/people.php4?show=CountyMap
    Citizenship matters.
    We should value our Irish citizenship. Citizenship entitles the holder to live and work in Ireland and in any other EU member state.
    We must end the abuse of our citizenship laws that have enabled people with no connection whatsoever to travel here and claim citizenship for their child at birth.
    A YES vote in the referendum will allow new laws to strike a fair balance between protecting Irish citizenship from abuse and ensuring that it is available to children whose non-national parents have lived in, and contributed, to Irish society.

The government's proposals are fair and based on a common-sense approach that puts our laws in line with the rest of Europe. Vote YES with Fianna Fail on June 11th. Because Citizenship does matter.

For more on Europe: http://www.fiannafail.ie/new/site/referendum.php4
    European Elections
    Voting for the European Parliament Elections is also taking place on June 11th. Each Euro- constituency has two Fianna Fail candidates standing for election. Please support your Fianna Fáil team by voting no. 1 for your chosen candidate and giving your number 2 vote for the other Fianna Fail candidate. It is important to take into account the agreed geographical vote divisions in your area. Vote for Fianna Fáil's candidates in order to maximise the progressive and constructive influence of Ireland in the European Union

For more on Europe: http://www.fiannafail.ie/new/site/europe.php4
    Log on to http://www.fiannafail.ie for all up to date information and news from the Fianna Fail party.
    Headquarters no: 6761551/6613415
    If you have received this email in error, please go to this address:
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/confirm_registration.php4?id=N12551

best wishes,
    Fianna Fail
    did anyone else get this before the elections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No but I'd love have got one, just so I could take them to court for illegaly storing my contact details. You could probably get a conviction for defamation of character for being confused for a FF voter too :D

Was it sent from a named contact or just a general spam@gobshites.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

it was info at fiannafail. I tried to reply but the delivery failed.
    You could probably get a conviction for defamation of character for being confused for a FF voter too
    absolutley, I almost feel violated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

With the election results, they won't be able to waffle on and on over the telivision as much. Perhaps they're trying to make up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

From dataprivacy.ie (the Data Protection Commissioner's website):
    S.I. 535 of 2003 has specific provisions on marketing using phone, fax, SMS or e-mail. If an individual is not already the customer of a data controller then he cannot receive marketing by fax, e-mail, SMS or an automated dialling machine unless he has given prior consent to this marketing.

Ignoring who it's from, it's Irish spam sent to an Irish person. Which is something you can do something about. Start here. Enclose a copy of the spam with all headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bug, please tell me you're going to report this!

You can guarantee the papers would pick up on this. The governing political party, those with a vision of Ireland as an "e-commerce hub" breaking the law. I'd put good money that one of the papers would pay your legal fees. If not, I'd gladly contribute a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

unless some1 registered your email address on their site to recieve such information theres no way they should be spamming you like this.

hrm turns out a collegue of mine registered me for their monthly newsletter at the last Nice referendum as a joke, strange though I never got the newsletter, this is the first time I heard from them, awh, ah well. No prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

maybe you can just sue your collegue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

It could be worse
    Click Me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

You should still complain about it and ask take that they take your name of there mailing list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It could be argued thet the onus is on FF to be certain that do have consent.

Simply accepting registrations on their web site without authenticating the person who submitted the address is the owner of the address seems to be playing fast and loose with people's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by cyclopath2001
    It could be argued thet the onus is on FF to be certain that do have consent.
    Not only could it be argued but the opposite can't be argued any more with any legal basis to it. Unsolicited bulk mail is now pretty much illegal for non-business recipients with no prior business dealings with the sender. We can't do much (if anything) about the nasty people in Asia sending most of it or that tool in Florida sending the rest but we can do something about Irish spam sent to Irish people. The fact that this one came from FF may well be a bonus for some. Joe Meade (the Data Protection Commissioner) will take this one seriously if informed by the victim (for want of a better word - we don't all get to complain to Joe because bug got one). Complaining to him costs nothing and they take it from there.

I really hate spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Was a local FF guy in here with his two buddies the night b4 the election mass-spamming mobile numbers from the vodafone and o2 websites- they were here for a good hour or more doing it. I've no way to prove that these were unsolicited. Nor do I know if they hadn't, is it illegal.

Tbh if I recieved a txt message @ 10:55 at night I wouldn't be too happy about it.

Anyone know if it's legal or not?

I logged a complaint on the FF website yesterday. No response as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

As a member of Fianna Fail, I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by that email you received.
    It was never intended as an invasion upon your privacy, or any other thing of the sort. But just merely as notice for your information, and our best intentions at heart.
    Sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Fianna Fail should have validation for the newsletter signups to prevent this from happening. They don't, I've checked. Complain to the Data Protection Commissioner bug and let us know what happens.

p.s. This is not anti-FF just anti-spam.

Advertisement