Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor cycle licence question

Options
  • 15-06-2004 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a full car driving licence (category B , i think).

I have since bought a moped to compliment the car for city driving ,

My question is how do i get my licence changed to allow me to drive bikes , can i get the A category (for <125cc bikes) put onto my licence or will I have to sit the bike exam also .

I attained my full licence before the theory test and used to have the bike rating on my old provisional licence. just not on my full licence (hope i'm making some sort of sense)

Has anyone bought a bike after getting their car licence and gone through this procedure ???

Take it easy

Fionn

oh and if i get the restrictors taken out of the moped , am i looking at regular services of the engine , higher premiums etc ? just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you wish to get an A or A1 licence (the two kinds of motorbike licence), you will need to sit a driver theory test, and then apply for a provisional and then do a test, just like you would a car. There is no other way around it.

If you take the restrictor off a moped it may be either illegal, or it may increase your premium. Either way, it's dangerous because it allows an increased speed on an already inherently dangerous machine, and it will bother your neighbours with the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As Seamus has written, you have to do a theory test and apply for A/A1 licence. I had my car licence for 15 or so years before starting to ride a bike. The driving test should be a doddle for anyone with a full car licence.

I think what Fionn has in mind is the M licence. Take a look at Oasis You'll have to scroll down about 1/3 of the page.
    The M category is automically added to a car licence. You can ride a PTW (powered two wheeler) up to 50cc and speed not exceeding 45kmph (approx 30mph)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

that m class licence sounds exactly what i need, cheer for the info

can i just get it added to my current licence , as the moped is 49cc but definatley tops 30mph

also seamus (thanks for the reply) if i was exempt from the driving theory test would i also be exempt from the motorcycle theory test (are they one and the same?)

also ,
    i know all mopeds make that weeeeerrrrrrr noise , but ah well , it beats sitting in traffic ,

actually can anything be done about the noise on the exhaust ????

thanks

Fionn

Originally posted by Fionn101
    also seamus (thanks for the reply) if i was exempt from the driving theory test would i also be exempt from the motorcycle theory test (are they one and the same?)
    Only if you still have your provisional with the A/A1 category on it, or if it's been less than 5 years since it expired (then you can apply for a second provisional and must take your first test within two years).
    And, yeah it's the same test. It's a complete joke if you already have a full car licence, like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

AFAIK you do not have to apply to get M added to your licence, you have it implicitly.

Theory test is the same for car and bikes.

Curious now, why would you be exempt? :confused: Applies to all people applying for a provisional licence since June 2001. For all categories, car, motorcycle, trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

a_ominous. i got my 2nd provisional in 99 , therefore exempt from the exam.

so i can drive a 49cc moped on a full driving licence , even though categories A and A1 are not marked ????

thanks agian

Fionn

You may not be, unless your second provisional had/has A and/or A1 on it.
    so i can drive a 49cc moped on a full driving licence , even though categories A and A1 are not marked ????
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

thanks agian

Fionn

When you got your Full licence, you should have got a little paper insert with it saying something like "Explaination of Codes That May Be Displayed On Your Licence" (or something like that). This has a part on it that says something along the lines of, "Persons who hold a category B full licence are also entitled to drive under categories M and W".

So you're automatically covered for mopeds up to 49 CC's without doing anything further at all!

If you got a second provisional in 1999, this means it expired in 2001. If yo don't renew it before 2006 (5 years), you WILL have to do a Theory Test. To renew it now, however, you'll just have to apply for a driving test in that category (you'll need the acknowledgement letter to get a third licence).

Regards,
    Tommy.

Advertisement