Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone move over from Eircom to UTV Broadband?

• 15-06-2004 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

And if so, how quick was switching over and any difference in performance?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dunno how smoothly the switch over process is but you will get a big performance loss on utv for gaming , but that may not be important to you, otherwise surfing/downloading is the same as eircom with a bigger cap usually but utv can have more downtime from time to time, you pay for what you get basically. IOL/esatbt bb cud be a better solution if you want to change away from eircom as its same cap as utv but much better for gaming and less downtime at a similar price to utv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I recently contacted UTV broadband to see if the port transfer is available yet but was told they were still in talks with Eircom. Therefore if I was to make a transfer now, I would need to request a disconnection from Eircom first and then wait to be connected to UTV. Therefore, I could expect a downtime. What a bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Do you game or intend using it for real-time apps (VoIP etc.) that require low latency?
    UTV is fine for browsing/downloading. It's rubbish for gaming (pings tonight around 150-200ms to UK servers, add a bit on for Irish servers) and drops connections to voice programs when it's having one of it's moments.
    IOL seems a much safer bet tbh and will most likely get my cash as soon as I can dump UTV.

Thanks for the advice. For my needs, I need a reliable and fast connection. Performance is quite important and I might just move over to IOL instead. I believe they have a 33EUR a month broadband package but you must switch over your telephony as well. Do you know if it's true that you must spend 25EUR a month to avail of this cheap 33 EUR a month broadband package?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by ADSLUSER
    Thanks for the advice. For my needs, I need a reliable and fast connection. Performance is quite important and I might just move over to IOL instead. I believe they have a 33EUR a month broadband package but you must switch over your telephony as well. Do you know if it's true that you must spend 25EUR a month to avail of this cheap 33 EUR a month broadband package?

The IOL package you are thinking of costs €58 per month (€33 for BB + €25 for phone calls), for your €25 of phone calls you get free unlimited local and national phone calls at any time of the day or night.

IMHO this is a really good deal.

• Advertisement

Rental to Eircom will be in addition to this cost, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah unfortunately eircom rental is extra after that price but I think your making a wise decision to take on IOL rather than UTV which you would never really be happy with since you want the best performance possible. Im on eircom myself and its great but the cap is a pain so I may well go to IOL myself when my contract is up to double my cap and slightly cheaper price.

Advertisement