Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options.

Options
  • 15-06-2004 1:42pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Is it just me with boards.ie new look but I can't seem to find the technology forum oh well will post here for time being.

I'm planning on doing an upgrade at the moment. Don't know what to do got several options.

1. Upgrade my Asus 9800xt to a Saphire X800XT. As well as buying a second 74 gig raptor to run on raid zero. I'm also looking at a Zalman fan for my cpu and a zalman head 5.1 headset and mic as well as the top creative sound card .

2. Do above upgrade sell a latop and buy a phase cooler like the VaporChill LS. This will require a new motherboard.

3.Do upgrade no.1 sell laptop buy a second computer.

4. Get Raptor hard drive, cpu fan and sound setup. Wait a few month for socket 939 to take over upgrade then (maybe get a new cpu) and also get pci express graphics card.

5. Do nothing hoard my money and keep saying my preciousessssss.....over and over.

What you think is best option......think its best to hold off and wait for new montherboards etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Number 4 tbh.Im in exactly the same position as you, i just orderd a 74Gig raptor and 160Gig sata hdd last week...i think this will lessen the blow when i see the cost of the Xt and 939 mobo/cpu and ram in a month or so.:eek:

Btw jes-computer are selling the 74 Gig raptors for E202 now, compared to kompletts E240....cant wait to get meh raptor.:D

** wtf, i just noticed in your sig you have a 3400+...is that not good nuff for you **

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Raptor's are the business CC, you wont be unhappy with the results :D

You going for 1 or 2 raptors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

:D
    Heh just the 1 for the time being, i want to see how loud it is first in my WC rig.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its pretty quite. Clicky noise when moving large amounts of data around but overall pretty quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

There is no way you need a new graphics card I think you should forget about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The technology board is still there, it just got renamed to "Computers".

http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Combatcow
    ** wtf, i just noticed in your sig you have a 3400+...is that not good nuff for you **
    and i'm sure his 9800xt is a serious bottleneck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

the 6th option is the most resonable. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

option 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

How much do you want for your CURRENT machine?! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

how much you offering :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

this computer needs its own nuclear powerplant once its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Azza: Well I'm only a very bloody poor student :( I'll offer you 100e plus a years subscription to any copy of "Fruit thrown at my window" :p

Honestly? I'd say a machine like that could be built for around 1500E. Maybe slightly less, but without getting exact prices I wouldn't be able to give a definite answer :)

Then it's second hand, plus it's old*, plus I can't afford it :) So I'll offer you half of my estimate, 750e! :)

*note: I use "old" to signify that I dont wanna pay full price :p

Advertisement