Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium 4 temperature

Options
  • 15-06-2004 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I just built my first PC and have some questions. I have an IC7 motherboard and it comes with a utility that tells you temperature etc.

Its says my Pentuim 4 3.0Ghz is at 45 C.
    Its says the system is at 29 C.

This is pretty hot right. I have a theraml take fan installed at the rear of the case blowing air out.

Should I get another to take air in from the front of the case.

Any pointers or help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

What sort of heatsink do you have-
    The thing about more fans is they do cool it more but i your are going to add more fans say the front of case get good quality ones- cheapo ones just make a humming noise that drives you grazy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Just the heat sink that came with the cpu. It already had the paste on it etc

The motherborad utility controls my case fan's speed. It does get super noisy when I turn the utility off. Is 45 C really hot. Again I'm new to all this. The case fan came with an inverter. Is this just to mess with the light display. I could see case modding etc becoming quite addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Which P4 dis you get? The P4 northwood or Prescott?

That temp isint really anything to worry about TBH especially when your running on the Stock heatsink. Try running Prime95 for an hour, it will make sure your system is stable and will give you your CPU's max Load temp (this is a much better guideline).

Not sure which version it is of the top of my head. I bought it from Komplett. I guess it would show up in the BIOS?

I'll run the program you suggested and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help

Komplett sells both. From the temp its prob the Northwood, which was a better choice.

Sure see how you get on anyway, expect temps to rise quite a bit when running prime95 BTW.

• Advertisement

I'll have the hose ready :)

Thanks again. I'll post with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I've got a Pentium 4 northwood 3.2ghz which is clocked at 3.8ghz and generally idles around the 45degree mark and around 56 under full load. Your temp sounds fine mind you it would probably drop a few degrees with a decent airflow I.E additional fan at the front/side/top but there would be no real need for that unless you were overclocking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by dent
    Hey
    I just built my first PC and have some questions. I have an IC7 motherboard and it comes with a utility that tells you temperature etc.

Its says my Pentuim 4 3.0Ghz is at 45 C.
    Its says the system is at 29 C.

This is pretty hot right. I have a theraml take fan installed at the rear of the case blowing air out.

Should I get another to take air in from the front of the case.

Any pointers or help would be great

That isnt hot for a P4 Northwood or Prescott in a Abit Board. Abit board report all temps from the winbond chip roughly 5-12'C higher than they actually are.
    Mine are roughly that on cold boot in this weather and 1-2'C higher when warmed up. Load temperatures is what you should worry about anyways, never idle ones(although they are a good indicator of good/bad cooling.Im using the Intel HSF and two outtakes (top and back).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

As far as I know, P4's are rated to about 65C; 45C should be well within the margins of safety.
    (Athlons, by contrast, are rated to 85C or 90C, depending on model)

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Thanks for all the replys.
    I ran a cpu stability test and it was fine. THe temperature topped out at 65 C. Which from everyones comments seems fine. Given that its also on an abit motherboard.

Prime95 did give me an error almost straight away. I tryed again and almost straight away it gave me another error. I had just installed a new ATI driver for my Radeon 9800 pro though. I hadn't rebooted.

Once I rebooted prime ran fine. I'm going to run it again today for a few hours just to be on the safe side.

I played Desert Combat (Offline) for a few hours and it played fine. It lagged for a few seconds near the start of the game ( I could hear the hard drive chugging ) but then ran fine.

Anyway here are my machines specs (From Komplett website) plus the benchmark and error from prime95 for anyone interested.

I think I'm gonna get another fan for the front of my case anyway. Maye more memory too I heard XP eats it.

Running on Windows XP Pro
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0 512KB cache
    Abit IC7 Mainboard for S478/800mhz I875P,SATA,ATX,Dual-DDR,1394
    Corsair TWINX512-3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB Kit w/two matched CMX256A-3200LL DIMMs
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM
    Chenbro Gaming Box Black/Orange 350W ATX12V SPI PSU, with PFC
    Thermaltake Perfect Light Fireball Fan A1654 80x80mm fan with light/temp contro

[Tue Jun 15 22:15:00 2004]
    Compare your results to other computers at http://www.mersenne.org/bench.htm
    That web page also contains instructions on how your results can be included.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    CPU speed: 3006.81 MHz
    CPU features: RDTSC, CMOV, PREFETCH, MMX, SSE, SSE2
    L1 cache size: 8 KB
    L2 cache size: 512 KB
    L1 cache line size: 64 bytes
    L2 cache line size: 128 bytes
    TLBS: 64
    Prime95 version 23.8, RdtscTiming=1
    Best time for 384K FFT length: 11.855 ms.
    Best time for 448K FFT length: 14.116 ms.
    Best time for 512K FFT length: 16.157 ms.
    Best time for 640K FFT length: 19.328 ms.
    Best time for 768K FFT length: 23.536 ms.
    Best time for 896K FFT length: 27.851 ms.
    Best time for 1024K FFT length: 31.088 ms.
    Best time for 1280K FFT length: 40.578 ms.
    Best time for 1536K FFT length: 50.176 ms.
    Best time for 1792K FFT length: 59.424 ms.
    Best time for 2048K FFT length: 66.970 ms.
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    [Tue Jun 15 22:23:32 2004]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

• Advertisement

Make sure your running the torture test and run it for 2-3hours. I see a fatal error is comming up, rounding 0.5 expected 0.4 ......... thats a bad thing to see if it comes up in the torture test, at any stage.

Your system shouldnt lag at all , great GFX card and CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 feedorf

dent your temps seem fine

my preshott idles at 46c and runs at up to 60 full load. and i have some serious cooling and oc'in goin on now

just depends if u have a prescott or northwood...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    As far as I know, P4's are rated to about 65C; 45C should be well within the margins of safety.

P4's Max operating temperature is 75'C. But I wouldnt let it go above 65'C The lifespan of the CPU is reduced more when between 65-75 than between 55-65.

45'C is fine that is only the temperature when idle. Ya have to put it in the worst case scenario(ie Under Load in a warm room) that will tell the worst possible temperature that you'll expierence. After that you wont have to worry about warm summers making your pc too hot for running under load for a day or anything.
    I see a fatal error is comming up, rounding 0.5 expected 0.4 ......... thats a bad thing to see if it comes up in the torture test, at any stage.

What does that error mean?

Just like to say thanks again for all the replys. Going to buy another fan today to suck air in from the front.

I ran the torture test last night for 2 hours and passed everything. I plan on running it today for 4. The hottest my CPU got was 67 C and my room was boling. Played some Call of duty after that and no lag so I'm pretty happy.

I think my initial problem was not rebooting after I had installed the new ATI driver. The fact that it failed twice so early on and in the same place leads me to believe there was a conflict. I checked about and in the sixth post down in this link http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=272 pointed out the same problem. So if you have an ATI card update your driver before running prime95.

Thanks again for tall the pointers and advice. Really great forum.

Advertisement