Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray traced q3

Options
  • 15-06-2004 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this has been posted before, but i thought id link to it anyway.
    www.gamershell.com has a video a bunch of college students from germany (i think) made of quake 3, only completely ray traced instead of rasterised. Its pretty damn impressive, makes q3a look more like doom3. Its a big file, (28mb) but damn nice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Shoulda linked directly to it, can't find it anywhere! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I like how they rip off the Unreal 3 engine video.. nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Looks crap :confused: Still looks like quake only shinier.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah that was probably the most boring tech demos i have ever seen.....an it wasn't evan good looking...Omg Q3 can do shadows and colored lighting :rolleyes:

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

the new MOH game is using a heavily modified Q3 engine ,jebus it looks great. Took me a while to believe it was the q3 engine.

Kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

seen this last week, to run q3 ray traced, you'd need some serious power(about 20 fps@36 GHz in 512x512 with 4xFSAA)

interesting, but useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by bazH
    seen this last week, to run q3 ray traced, you'd need some serious power(about 20 fps@36 GHz in 512x512 with 4xFSAA)

interesting, but useless

surely they didnt do it in real time?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Anyone remember Tenebrae Quake? It added stencil shadows and per pixel lighting to the original Quake code. Not perfect, but very impressive for what it is. Bump mapped textures everywhere brings a real 3D feel to it, well worth the download if you're interested in this stuff.

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

btw, it's not a movie, you can actually play it (the Quake demo levels)

Woah that tenebrae quake looks impressive. You used it, sir random? Just wondering if its hard to run/install etc. *will be downloading it when i get home*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Woah that tenebrae quake looks impressive. You used it, sir random? Just wondering if its hard to run/install etc. *will be downloading it when i get home*
    It's simple to install (requires Quake full/demo). I got it from PCGamer last year and it's very impressive. Screenshots don't do it justice, you need to be moving to see the dynamic lighting in action.

Sweet, ill give it a try. i already tried fuhquake, that was cool, ill see how this runs, cheers :D

:EDIT:
    just installed it, and wow! i mean its not perfect, theres some fps and clipping issues, but damn it looks good. now ive another excuse not to study for my hardware exam :dunno:

Advertisement