Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hosting First Boards Home Game (Fri 18th)

• 15-06-2004 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

All my poker players have deserted me and it has been far too long since I have played a game, so.....

I've decided to host my first boards home game for this Friday the 15th

25 Freezeout, 11 Players Max. No Holdem

(text compliments of Quozl :) )
    Buyin- €25

Rebuys- None

Payout- 1st ½
    2nd 1/3
    3rd 1/6

Your money will get you 5000 chips

Blind structure: Blinds increase every 20 minutes.

Hour 1
    25/50
    50/100
    75/150

Hour 2 - take in the 25's
    100/200
    150/300
    200/400

Hour 3
    300/600
    400/800
    500/1000

Hour 4 - take in the 50's
    600/1200
    750/1500
    1000/2000

Hour 5
    1250/2500
    1500/3000
    2000/4000

Im based by Galloping Green, Stillorgan, you shall have a stunning view of the Dublin Mountains and Dublin Bay Whilst enjoying some Poker and beers if you like, Beers and smoking are naturally permitted.

Food and refreshments should be brought with you. (could probably even do with bringing extra pint glasses for the beer, recently had a diswasher incident and sadly, many of our much loved Glasses are now in the recycle bin)

I was thinking of kicking off around 8. pm,
    Prize structure
    1st 1/2
    2nd1/3
    3rd 1/6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Isn't this friday the 18th? Whatever, might well come along if there's a spot available and I'm not raped by the taxman this week, will let you know later in the week.

Also recommend that you don't use chips with denominations of 50, as 25s do just as well, have to leave them out longer, but generally there's no need for 50's if you have 25's and 100's.
    Just my 2c
    Marq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Title amended, We can discuss all those details once we have 11 Players ;)

Seats

Moi

Mr Pudding

Devore

Lafortezza

Dirkey_wynne

Kelter

Quozl

Waylander

Alanm

Hector

Cormie (Maybe)

Tricky D (Maybe)

Thats the list so far, if we could get confirmation by tomorrow night, twould be nice.

I'll pm exact details tomorrow evening

Thanks and sorry for all the confusion, been worked too hard as of late ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sounds good! Friday 18th. Start at 8.. Hmm. 11 people.. Probably be over 11ish? early enough to go out with friends after. Stillorgan, handy (I'm in Bray)

So put my name down anyway bitte and if I have a change of plans I'll let you know asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I may be interested also! Living in Deansgrange so only down the road.
    Samba would I know you from the fitz or other homegames?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Sign me up for this apparent excellent opportunity to lose money.

And I might get to see Cormie do that fold and bet thing he did to me in the fitz a few weeks ago again. It was most hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

If you'll take pity on a boards newbie - count me in! Fear I'll just be donating money to the prize fund, but sure, if I don't take part - how can I ever learn eh?!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Me too please.... provided I'm not working late :(

Er... btw, what do you mean by "No Holdem"?

DeV.

if money is an issue, go to the fitz freerolls and don't buy back in;) or else just play free online tournaments they are actually good practise (the tournaments now, not the live games) treat them like real money, see how ya do;)

I was thinking about that too (so what is it 5 stud? 7?)
    but then I thought no limit;)

Blimey, Sorry i was very tired yesterday (yawn still am), yup no limit Texas Holdem ;)

I have never paid a visit to the Fitz or any home game yet, I have a regular group who I play with, but most of them are off travelling.

I have many a question to ask about the Fitz actually, will do that on Friday ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

count me in please
    Want me to bring some KEM cards along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'd be interested in playing too, thanks Samba.

Please Quozl that would be nice, I can't seem to find my Chips, I'll take a trip down to the pound shop if I can't find them between now and Friday.

If you wan't to enjoy your beer from a glass, bring bottles, I think there must be a grand total of 6 glasses in the house after the shelf on the dishwasher came crashing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Alanm

If there's room for another newbie - i'd be interested!

I have loads of chips I can bring, I also have a nice table cover to use, my kems are hot rocked unfortunately (that's what happens when you lend them to your friends huh)

but, if I can't go, I'm pretty sure some of the others have chips.

Yeah, I've a case with 300 chips. 7 or 8 different colours. So what's the lineup looking like Samba??

Scroll up to the third Post we have 11 so far, but alot of maybes, if other people want to stick their name down on the waiting list, no problemo, chances are you might get a seat.

I actually stopped using cloths, but bring it along if you are coming, edge of the table is wood, otherwise it is mostly glass, just as long as peeps are mindful of the glass underneath the cloth it's all good :)

that's allot of maybes. I'm a near definite so don't give up my seat first pweez. My bro and my buddy may come also!

I'm pretty much a definite too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm pretty much a definite too. I wont be working *that* late on a Friday.

Also, what about 15 buy in with a single 10 quid rebuy/topup.... I dont want to travel all the way out there and get bad beat on the third hand and end up dealing for the night :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Much as I hate to butt into other people's plans (oh, who am I kidding, I love it), I think DeV's idea for the format is a good one. You'll inevitably have people that are unlucky to go out early who have to either sit around for the rest of the evening, or just leave. Everyone will either rebuy or top-up (I assure you), so there'll be the same amount of money in the prize-fund.

you had to go and ruin it! haha.
    Count me out if it's a rebuy event!
    But if its freezeout, I will bring enough chips for Tourny and cash game.

If somebody gets knocked out they can set up a cash game and play heads up with the next, 3 way with the next and so on.

One rebuy or top-up is very different from your regular "rebuy event" and is in fact much closer to a freeze-out. why?

freezeout is in a class of its own. You'd be more inclined to think about folding cowboys in a fo than a rb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i'd rather a pure freeze out myself. Either's fine, but just don't want Samba thinking everyone wants the rebuy format. I'd rather not, I find freezeout more tense.

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

can you count me in as a 5th place maybe for the mo and I'll put the clock on myself tomorrow aftrnoon and confirm or otherwise then
    ta
    \r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I'd love to play if theres still a place,

Regards

Daragh

I'm a definite samba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I am also a definite. Can you pm out your address please.

• Advertisement

Freezeouts are fine for competitive or "tense" games. I want a bit of fun on a Friday evening and I dont want to get 30 quids worth of taxis and find I get bad beat or make a single bad call and I'm sitting around waiting for someone else to get knocked out. I wouldnt wish it on anyone else either.

I'll play whats decided, I'm not going to start saying "unless its the way I want it, I'm not playing". But seriously, *ONE* lone rebuy or one top up doesnt make people thing "Wahey... I can call anything with my 5,3o.... after all I have a rebuy" but it at least gives you a Get-Out-Of-Jail free card.

After 3 levels and when the play gets serious its a freezeout anyway!

Sheeesh.. I dunno... some people.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Freezeouts are fine for competitive or "tense" games. I want a bit of fun on a Friday evening and I dont want to get 30 quids worth of taxis and find I get bad beat or make a single bad call and I'm sitting around waiting for someone else to get knocked out. I wouldnt wish it on anyone else either.

I'll play whats decided, I'm not going to start saying "unless its the way I want it, I'm not playing". But seriously, *ONE* lone rebuy or one top up doesnt make people thing "Wahey... I can call anything with my 5,3o.... after all I have a rebuy" but it at least gives you a Get-Out-Of-Jail free card.

After 3 levels and when the play gets serious its a freezeout anyway!

Sheeesh.. I dunno... some people.

DeV.
    I agree with DeV even though he's a knobjockey. Whats the difference between a €25 freezeout and a €15 buy-in + €10 rebuy/top-up??
    You're still spending the same amount of money, and you're still getting the same amount of chips depending on the particular amount you get for the topup/rebuy.

The only difference is that you have a 2nd chance if you get out drawn by somebody, and also you have the power of an all-in move which can put people off a pot, or lets you see all the cards to the river when you're small stack. If you miss/lose you use your last chance rebuy.

House rules apply though! Whatever Samba chooses goes.

Seems most of the people would prefer a re-buy/top-up, so be it, I am not one to go against democracy :)

We usually play with re-buys suits me fine.

Marq Can you let me know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest, much apreciated.

Names list updated.

pm'ing all the definite players.

Anyone who i did not pm (definite players) drop me a pm, apologies for overlooking you :)

Could somone forward the message on to quozl (inbox full)

How would you feel for 2 €12.50 freezeouts? I prefer the risk factor in freezeouts. Like if you think someone has been waiting for a bicycle with 45 in their hand and they miss it and go all in on the river and you call with a high 7. Far more risky in a freezeout. Far more satisfying.

It's up to the host/majority so I suppose it's rebuy. Ah well.

It wouldn't take that long for the first two to go anyway I'm sure. I'd be fine waiting around for someone else to play heads up against.

How about a pure cash game night? Far more fun if that's what you want for a Friday night, 5c a unit, take it nice and easy, few bears etc.

I'm sure after we have the freezeout/1 rebuy game there will be the usual drunken cash game. €5 for 1000 chips or whatever way we decide on the night.
    I don't get the fascination with freezeouts though, the one rebuy/top thing is only there to *help* you if you make a big mistake or get outdrawn. Its no fun being the first to go out after 5 hands by getting outdrawn and having to sit there for the tournament to end until the cash game starts.

I just think its a better game.

My suggestion was once 2 people are knocked out, the cash game starts. Heads up first (say €1 per game, 250units each, blinds 2/4, freezeout, once there is a winner, start another for €1) 3rd person knocked out, he waits for heads up to be over, 3 start casual cash game, 4th joins, 5th joins, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th +11th cash game gets off in full effect.

Constant poker, not much waiting around.

So if you get outdrawn on say, the 3rd hand, you rebuy, in for next deal, you get aces, someone raises, you go all in, they call you with 10's, they hit a 10. Your out. Now you have to wait for everyone to get knocked out twice to join your company.

• Advertisement

I think you should have stuck with "I just think its a better game"... ;)

DeV.

Don't get it.

But hey, I'm just tryna suit everyones preference.

I think the re-buy is a better option too, as lafortezza said, it is nice to have a second chance, I'll go with the majority.

I tell you, the sweat was dripping off my forehead only two minutes ago while reading replies I called 1 guy going all in another called for 60 Pre-flop, with J&4, flop goes down JJ4, took 250 in one hand on ladbrokes.

Pure and utter luck that I called by mistake!

Put me as a maybe for re-buy, It would be unfair to take the place of someone who is up for it after all my offense to it.
    Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by cormie
    Put me as a maybe for re-buy, It would be unfair to take the place of someone who is up for it after all my offense to it.
    Hehe

You're a student aren't you? Get a job, hippy, then maybe you can afford some rebuys.

• Advertisement

The abuse.

And you obviously have no mathematical intelligence at all(banter) €15(minimum) + €10 is €25 max for rebuy, €25 for freezeout.

could work out cheaper for rebuy.
    h

Cormie, you are not taking anyones place, your name was down first, so if you want you are in.

People by the sounds of things are coming from a fair distance and their worst case scenario to be out after a half hour is not a comforting thought, For people who are dead set on a freeze-out, if the re-buy finishes early, could easily have another smaller game making that freeze-out, the possibilities to cater all are endless :)

Thanks for that, but what I meant was since it's a re-buy, put me as a maybe, not a definite.

So if somebody really wants to go to the re-buy, you can put them in my seat. If however, it's decided to be a fo, I'll reserve the seat.

My idea was two €12.50 freezeouts. give everyone a 2nd chance.

At least read through my posts and ideas.

I'm just trying to make it as fair as possible.

Cormie, Hector is definitely Playing, so if you are uncertain I am going to give him your place, let me know.

Yourself and Tricky D are down as maybe's, so whoever gets back first I suppose can have the spot.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Damn the training course in a swanky hotel! Well, swankyish....not swanky enough for web access.

If someone backs out please put me down as a "for sure."

Cormie "

So if you get outdrawn on say, the 3rd hand, you rebuy, in for next deal, you get aces, someone raises, you go all in, they call you with 10's, they hit a 10. Your out. Now you have to wait for everyone to get knocked out twice to join your company. " I see your point, cos that happens all the time....not.

If it is freezeout the time between the first person out and the next can be quite long, well in a home game anyway. Of course you could buy in and get knocked out almost straight away again. At the same time you might not. To be honest I think your argument is pretty fucking stupid. Just my opinion.

MrP

I'll know by early thursday afternoon. Very sorry to keep you waiting so long, and if you need a definite before then, that's cool, there seem to be quite a few up for the game. anyway, talk to ye soon.

Hector, Mr Pudding if I don't hear back from Tricky D or Cormie, you are both in, will let yous know this evening. (there is a possibility we will only have 10 if Marq pulls out)

Will let you both know

My payslip informs me that I must decline the home game. Can only afford one big game of poker this week, and my boards heat is on saturday. That'd be a yes to MrPudding and Hector I suppose. Hope you all enjoy it.

Right so, thats 10 Sure players, Tricky D/Cormie who ever gets back to me first gets the seat, at this stage if someone were to take a seat and show up for sure i would have to give it to them, so there is still a seat up for grabs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Samba

Can you list out all the player you expect to play - this will leave no issues if someone thinks thay are playing and turns up to find a full table

Thanks

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
Advertisement