Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting First Boards Home Game (Fri 18th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by DeVore
    Freezeouts are fine for competitive or "tense" games. I want a bit of fun on a Friday evening and I dont want to get 30 quids worth of taxis and find I get bad beat or make a single bad call and I'm sitting around waiting for someone else to get knocked out. I wouldnt wish it on anyone else either.

I'll play whats decided, I'm not going to start saying "unless its the way I want it, I'm not playing". But seriously, *ONE* lone rebuy or one top up doesnt make people thing "Wahey... I can call anything with my 5,3o.... after all I have a rebuy" but it at least gives you a Get-Out-Of-Jail free card.

After 3 levels and when the play gets serious its a freezeout anyway!

Sheeesh.. I dunno... some people.

DeV.
    I agree with DeV even though he's a knobjockey. Whats the difference between a €25 freezeout and a €15 buy-in + €10 rebuy/top-up??
    You're still spending the same amount of money, and you're still getting the same amount of chips depending on the particular amount you get for the topup/rebuy.

The only difference is that you have a 2nd chance if you get out drawn by somebody, and also you have the power of an all-in move which can put people off a pot, or lets you see all the cards to the river when you're small stack. If you miss/lose you use your last chance rebuy.

House rules apply though! Whatever Samba chooses goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Seems most of the people would prefer a re-buy/top-up, so be it, I am not one to go against democracy :)

We usually play with re-buys suits me fine.

Marq Can you let me know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest, much apreciated.

Names list updated.

pm'ing all the definite players.

Anyone who i did not pm (definite players) drop me a pm, apologies for overlooking you :)

Could somone forward the message on to quozl (inbox full)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How would you feel for 2 €12.50 freezeouts? I prefer the risk factor in freezeouts. Like if you think someone has been waiting for a bicycle with 45 in their hand and they miss it and go all in on the river and you call with a high 7. Far more risky in a freezeout. Far more satisfying.

It's up to the host/majority so I suppose it's rebuy. Ah well.

It wouldn't take that long for the first two to go anyway I'm sure. I'd be fine waiting around for someone else to play heads up against.

How about a pure cash game night? Far more fun if that's what you want for a Friday night, 5c a unit, take it nice and easy, few bears etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm sure after we have the freezeout/1 rebuy game there will be the usual drunken cash game. €5 for 1000 chips or whatever way we decide on the night.
    I don't get the fascination with freezeouts though, the one rebuy/top thing is only there to *help* you if you make a big mistake or get outdrawn. Its no fun being the first to go out after 5 hands by getting outdrawn and having to sit there for the tournament to end until the cash game starts.

I just think its a better game.

My suggestion was once 2 people are knocked out, the cash game starts. Heads up first (say €1 per game, 250units each, blinds 2/4, freezeout, once there is a winner, start another for €1) 3rd person knocked out, he waits for heads up to be over, 3 start casual cash game, 4th joins, 5th joins, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th +11th cash game gets off in full effect.

Constant poker, not much waiting around.

So if you get outdrawn on say, the 3rd hand, you rebuy, in for next deal, you get aces, someone raises, you go all in, they call you with 10's, they hit a 10. Your out. Now you have to wait for everyone to get knocked out twice to join your company.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you should have stuck with "I just think its a better game"... ;)

DeV.

Don't get it.

But hey, I'm just tryna suit everyones preference.

I think the re-buy is a better option too, as lafortezza said, it is nice to have a second chance, I'll go with the majority.

I tell you, the sweat was dripping off my forehead only two minutes ago while reading replies I called 1 guy going all in another called for 60 Pre-flop, with J&4, flop goes down JJ4, took 250 in one hand on ladbrokes.

Pure and utter luck that I called by mistake!

Put me as a maybe for re-buy, It would be unfair to take the place of someone who is up for it after all my offense to it.
    Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by cormie
    Put me as a maybe for re-buy, It would be unfair to take the place of someone who is up for it after all my offense to it.
    Hehe

You're a student aren't you? Get a job, hippy, then maybe you can afford some rebuys.

• Advertisement

The abuse.

And you obviously have no mathematical intelligence at all(banter) €15(minimum) + €10 is €25 max for rebuy, €25 for freezeout.

could work out cheaper for rebuy.
    h

Cormie, you are not taking anyones place, your name was down first, so if you want you are in.

People by the sounds of things are coming from a fair distance and their worst case scenario to be out after a half hour is not a comforting thought, For people who are dead set on a freeze-out, if the re-buy finishes early, could easily have another smaller game making that freeze-out, the possibilities to cater all are endless :)

Thanks for that, but what I meant was since it's a re-buy, put me as a maybe, not a definite.

So if somebody really wants to go to the re-buy, you can put them in my seat. If however, it's decided to be a fo, I'll reserve the seat.

My idea was two €12.50 freezeouts. give everyone a 2nd chance.

At least read through my posts and ideas.

I'm just trying to make it as fair as possible.

Cormie, Hector is definitely Playing, so if you are uncertain I am going to give him your place, let me know.

Yourself and Tricky D are down as maybe's, so whoever gets back first I suppose can have the spot.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Damn the training course in a swanky hotel! Well, swankyish....not swanky enough for web access.

If someone backs out please put me down as a "for sure."

Cormie "

So if you get outdrawn on say, the 3rd hand, you rebuy, in for next deal, you get aces, someone raises, you go all in, they call you with 10's, they hit a 10. Your out. Now you have to wait for everyone to get knocked out twice to join your company. " I see your point, cos that happens all the time....not.

If it is freezeout the time between the first person out and the next can be quite long, well in a home game anyway. Of course you could buy in and get knocked out almost straight away again. At the same time you might not. To be honest I think your argument is pretty fucking stupid. Just my opinion.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I'll know by early thursday afternoon. Very sorry to keep you waiting so long, and if you need a definite before then, that's cool, there seem to be quite a few up for the game. anyway, talk to ye soon.

Hector, Mr Pudding if I don't hear back from Tricky D or Cormie, you are both in, will let yous know this evening. (there is a possibility we will only have 10 if Marq pulls out)

Will let you both know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

My payslip informs me that I must decline the home game. Can only afford one big game of poker this week, and my boards heat is on saturday. That'd be a yes to MrPudding and Hector I suppose. Hope you all enjoy it.

Right so, thats 10 Sure players, Tricky D/Cormie who ever gets back to me first gets the seat, at this stage if someone were to take a seat and show up for sure i would have to give it to them, so there is still a seat up for grabs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Samba

Can you list out all the player you expect to play - this will leave no issues if someone thinks thay are playing and turns up to find a full table

Thanks

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

Just a wee bit of text i forgot to include in the pms to some, sorry cba pming everyone again, tis the top floor, door on the right, also do we have enough chips or should I make that trip to the € Shop? My case is down in friends house who is in Newzealand so no chance of getting my hands on them.

Players Who are coming

Moi

Mr Pudding

Devore

Lafortezza

Dirkey_wynne

Kelter

Quozl

Waylander

Alanm

Hector

Cormie (Maybe)

Tricky D (Maybe)

As I said if someone gives me a yes I will strike the two maybes off the list.

Go for it!

It starts at 8 right?

NO limit Re-buy 15entry one 10 top up.

€275 prize pool

1st-137.50
    2nd-91
    3rd-45.50

Cash game after:)

I have chips I can bring.

Cormie is in so, thats all settled, no more seats left unfortunately, Tricky D, i still have you down as a maybe, but only on the waiting list if anyone pulls out, so please keep me updated.

looking forward to it

Samba

Originally posted by MrPudding

If it is freezeout the time between the first person out and the next can be quite long, well in a home game anyway. Of course you could buy in and get knocked out almost straight away again. At the same time you might not. To be honest I think your argument is pretty fucking stupid. Just my opinion.

MrP

There is no denying a rebuy event is going to take longer than a freezeout. Therefore, if you do get knocked out, sure, you probably will have played for longer, but you'll also be waiting for longer.

Let's just hope the example that happens "all of the time" doesn't happen tomorrow night then.

Any way, it's decided, re buy it is.
    See you all tomorrow night so and some tonight.

And please, that's enough of the harsh comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

siupposed to be going down west for wkend but now won't be told if its on til tomorrow. keep us as possible replacement but if its any hassle just strike me off
    ta
    \r

I may have to cancel on you I'm afraid. It involves a beautiful French girl who likes Leonard Cohen and Django Rheinhardt and who is leaving Ireland next week. If you knew me better, you would understand. This is important.

so...

SEAT FREE!!!!

If it can't be filled, I'll try to make it. But if it can that's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Is anyone else getting the bus from Stephen's Green area or thereabouts, out to the game tonight? If so, fancy meeting up beforehand and heading out together??

No problemo Cormie, we can go ahead with 10 anyhow, could someone else bring out some extra chips?

If not i'll pick some up this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I can't help with chips but should I bring KEM cards?

MrP

• Advertisement

Quozl has that covered but may be no harm to bring a pack just in case.

Advertisement