Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding an antenna to an access point

• 15-06-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Just checking something here.....

Lets say that I have an access point with an omnidirectional antenna attached as standard. Is there any point in removing these antennas and fitting a higher gain omnidirectional antenna??.

My understanding is that I'd have to add a lossy connector or long cable between the AP and antenna so as to act as a loss comparible to the extra gain of the new antenna so as to be within legal power limits, and so the extra gain of the new antenna would not result in any extra distance or effect.

Just checking this, cos a very senior designer in an
    international telecomms company I'm dealing with
    seems to think differently.

I realise that replacing an omnidirectional antenna with a semi (or bi)-directional antenna would provide extra distance because the signal would be focused, but replacing an omni with an omni shouldnt work right???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Stky10
    Lets say that I have an access point with an omnidirectional antenna attached as standard. Is there any point in removing these antennas and fitting a higher gain omnidirectional antenna??.
    It depends on how much higher the gain of the new omni is compared to the old one.
    My understanding is that I'd have to add a lossy connector or long cable between the AP and antenna so as to act as a loss comparible to the extra gain of the new antenna so as to be within legal power limits, and so the extra gain of the new antenna would not result in any extra distance or effect.
    Technically speaking, the losses incurred are probably going to be greater than the effective gain of the new omni. The legal aspect over the power limits (EIRP) is an afterthought. Coaxial cable is lossy at wifi frequencies. So the loss from the connectors and the cable are probably going to make the whole exercise futile.
    I realise that replacing an omnidirectional antenna with a semi (or bi)-directional antenna would provide extra distance because the signal would be focused, but replacing an omni with an omni shouldnt work right???
    Replacing an omni with an omni should work but you are always going to have some loss in the equation. Directional antennas are probably better

You could use some of those wiremesh and foam constructions around each omni to provide an sort of directional effect. (They are in the O'Reilly book "Wireless Hacks" but I cannot remember the URL for the actual site with the details of the mod.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can use a parabolic reflector to concentrate the beam in one direction.

if you change the omni (you need to open the AP - warranty void and figure out what connector is on the inside if any) then you will get a flatter beam. ie. you may get a stronger signal in the garden at the expense of the signal upstairs.

Legal limits - 100mW EIRP - ie no part of the beam can look stronger than a 100mW point source.

So it depends on the AP's power - eg: smartbridges have a "dial a power" option - you tell it your antenna gain and the limit and it adjust power to suit.

Advertisement