Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning Sean1916

Options
  • 15-06-2004 8:00pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I am not sure where to put this anymore, please move this if it is in the wrong place.

I am putting in my vote to have Sean1916 banned or sent to prison, if even for a little while so he understands it is wrong to post racist replies/threads.
    Everthing I have read from him has been racist and offensive...see politics forum.

He had one thread locked and posts ridiculuos comments about whites being superior in others.

This is just my 2cents though :dunno:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I disagree...
    It's a great topic to discuss.

Ban him if he becomes a total flaming muppet.

While I don't agree with his views, he's entitled to them. Sure, perhaps we'll reach the stage when we can all agree that everyone is equally inferior to robots, but that day is a while off yet... As are the robots. But untill then, we're naturally going to get this kind of attrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Where would we be if Admins actually gave a damn about voting to ban users. Politics is a hot bed of extremeist opinion. If he's still able to post there, then he can't be that bad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

true and true. just my opinion though I guess it doesnt make it right :dunno:
    anyway, guess I dont quite know what constitutes banning, although I was banned for remarking on my post count once without knowing if was a bannable offense, go figure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You cant be banned for being a nazi or even a provo lover only if you get shirty....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by BEAT
    although I was banned for remarking on my post count once without knowing if was a bannable offense, go figure ;)

How is remarking on a post count a banable offence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by subway_ie
    How is remarking on a post count a banable offence?

You'll know within about an hour I'd say.

God thats a sexy post count.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Damn Nazis, turn their zero tolerance thing right back on their asses and ban them.

Hey cult, meaning to ask yea, by any chance where you outside one of my exam halls about a month back, Talking to a bloke named Gaffney.

Yes actually.
    I didn't see you, you really should have come over and scared the crap out of me for the few moments I wouldn't have recognized you :) .

• Advertisement

Yea but imagine if it hadn't been you, Mark ( one of my lab partners) would have thought I was even more of a looper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by mike65
    You cant be banned for being a nazi or even a provo lover only if you get shirty....

Mike.

How about if you post racist comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Use the ignore button and you'll never have to read another one of his posts.

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Use the ignore button and you'll never have to read another one of his posts.

I think they tried that when Hitler came to power.

Didn't work out so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by CuLT
    I think they tried that when Hitler came to power.

Didn't work out so well.

That's one of the worst analogies ever.

It's Godwin's Law overload on these boards lately.

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    That's one of the worst analogies ever.

It's Godwin's Law overload on these boards lately.

Really? I was quite happy with that one :) .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

it may be a bad analogy, but he has somewhat of a point. If someone is making racist comments, why wouldnt they be banned rather than just ignored? That allows them to carry on with their bile.. sure, you or I can't read it, but many others can, and racism should be dealt with head on, not brushed aside.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Boston
    God thats a sexy post count.

You are not your boards.ie post count

Originally posted by CuLT
    Really? I was quite happy with that one :) .

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/ :D

Originally posted by flogen
    it may be a bad analogy, but he has somewhat of a point. If someone is making racist comments, why wouldnt they be banned rather than just ignored? That allows them to carry on with their bile.. sure, you or I can't read it, but many others can, and racism should be dealt with head on, not brushed aside.
    Flogen

I couldn't agree more. Its not about discussing racisim. Thats ok. Its about allowing pro racist comments or remarks on your forum. Thats not acceptable. I'd take the same view on links to racist sites.

Flogen
    No, if you don't like what they are saying then ignore them. BEAT has already brought it to the mods/admin attention and if their racist/nazi views still continue to offend her then she should just ignore them and not read. Everyone else who feels the same can do likewise.

You can't ban someone for just having opinions different to yourself, even if they are racist. Unless he is obviously trolling/flaming/acting the nob.
    If he puts his point across politely then there's no reason to ban him imho.
    Karl Hungus said
    I disagree...
    It's a great topic to discuss.
    Ban him if he becomes a total flaming muppet.
    While I don't agree with his views, he's entitled to them. Sure, perhaps we'll reach the stage when we can all agree that everyone is equally inferior to robots, but that day is a while off yet... As are the robots. But untill then, we're naturally going to get this kind of attrition.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think I banned him already. You can link directly to examples of racist comments and we'll delete them. I'm all for freedom of speech but not at the expense of the (equal) freedom to live your life without hatred being incited against you.

DeV.

[edit] I agree that politely expressed views are fine. Anything like "fu n|gger!" will get deleted and get the author banned. I'm perfectly capable of telling the difference lads! :)

so, lafortezza, your saying its ok to make racist comments as long as you dont get agressive? that shouldnt be the case IMO.

Racist comments should be dealt with not ignored. I know BEAT brought this to the admins attention, but that doesnt mean we should just sit back now and ignore the guy (or anyone who does this in the future). When it comes to racism, i think the very least done is the person gets a warning not to do it again.

Flogen

Depends if you see Racism as a point of view that you strongly disagree with but will discuss/argue against in the politics/humanities board OR something that should not ever be discussed on boards. Depends where you draw the line. See DeV's post.

Racist comments, polite or not are racist.

Nice rig lafortezza...

I see your point that racism should be argued with, I suppose it would work better to discredit them than allow them to think they won because we wouldnt face them in what they describe as a debate... however ignoring is just as bad as a straight banning i guess...

Also, in the case of sean1916, he constantly said he wanted a debate, and when he got one he just ignored the legitimate questions, copy/pasted stuff from white power sites, and then started to make racist comments that didnt even fit under the topic of the thread. I suppose you could say he still shouldnt have been banned, because he was destroying his own case by not facing facts..

Ah i dunno... i guess it is a double edged blade, you can ban people for racism, and theyll claim victory, you dont, and try and argue with them, and they just ignore you so they can pump their bile out....

I guess letting them be ripped apart for a while is far more useful than just banning them

Flogen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I once got banned from TCD's network for engaging (actually, starting a Usenet topic on the acceptibility of swearing online. I wasnt taking the mick, I honestly wanted to explore the idea (awww bless... student days eh?).

I got banned for obsenity for using "offensive language" in my examples. (the exact example that got me banned was "you're mother fncks sailors up against a wall" if you're interested).

People need to learn the difference between blue-print and instance.

There are a worryingly large number of people who, while claiming to be liberal, are only too fast to say "these people shouldnt be allowed to talk, I've decided".

Thats my job. :)

DeV.

....Also, in the case of sean1916, he constantly said he wanted a debate, and when he got one he just ignored the legitimate questions, copy/pasted stuff from white power sites, and then started to make racist comments that didnt even fit under the topic of the thread. I suppose you could say he still shouldnt have been banned, because he was destroying his own case by not facing facts..

Ah i dunno... i guess it is a double edged blade, you can ban people for racism, and theyll claim victory, you dont, and try and argue with them, and they just ignore you so they can pump their bile out....

I guess letting them be ripped apart for a while is far more useful than just banning them

Flogen

Well thats the whole point there was no debate. They just use it as a platform. It just starts a flame war with everyone else. If the thread is on topic then fair enough. But as soon as they start posting links to sites unrelated to the thread topic, and going off topic with their comments. Then I think their agenda is clear.

So the question is do you want to provide them with that platform?

well the minute he did go off topic, he was banned from politics (more how he went off topic than the fact that he went off topic).
    Every forum has its rules about going off topic, so thats not a problem, racist or not. As for giving them a platform, well I already said its a bit of a catch 22, but in their case they tried to get a platform, the boards.ie folks just kept destroying their case, and they just kept losing and looking stupid...
    I do agree that you cant be all for freedom of speech and want someone banned just because they disagree with you, although I guess I never saw this situation like that (i saw it as someone making racist comments, full stop). I think he was banned once he crossed the line, and until then he was being shot down left, right and center

Flogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    So the question is do you want to provide them with that platform?

If I banned all the barely coherent morons and bigots who can't hold an argument and aren't interested in doing so as they use this system as a soapbox for their particular versions of the truth then I'd probably get a tremendous amount of stick for picking on "valuable contributors" because "I don't agree with them". There are some very obvious racists (although they protest otherwise) on the Politics forum right now debating and arguing their points of view (purely for example) but they seem to manage to do it without posting slurs and names and some of them even do it in a skillful and informative way, so why not let them.

• Advertisement

What about illegal activities. Can they be discussed under the banner of free speech?

Advertisement