Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Disconnection fee?

• 15-06-2004 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I called Netsource today because I have to quit my DSL with them in 2 months (moving to a new house). They politely told me that there's no problem with that, but I'll have to pay a disconnection fee of €75 (+ VAT I suppose). That's an Eircom fee they say... I tend to believe that, but has anybody heard anything like that before?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yeah its the same for all the Isps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Actually I belive that from the 1st of June this year the disconnection fee should not apply if your ISP has commited to any new dsl connections being at least 6 months in duration. Since most DSL connections are 12 month contracts the fee should not apply as far as I can see. This may of course only apply to contracts that were signed up to after the 1st of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

machalla, im not sure i understand you do you mean i could cancel my 12 month contract after 7 months and not pay disconnection fee ?!? how could that be ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well since you signed a contract then they may well charge you a disconnection fee.

The ISP apparently no longer gets charged a disconnection fee by Eircom for having to get you disconnected (unlike what happened previous to this).

It basically means that if your ISP is being nice to you then they can disconnect you at no cost to themselves but I tend to doubt thats how it will work out in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

Well my contract would be over, since I started it more than a year ago and I'm giving them 2 months notice now. Maybe I'l check with Eircon...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Sztraik
    Well my contract would be over, since I started it more than a year ago and I'm giving them 2 months notice now. Maybe I'l check with Eircon...

Don't bother, they won't tell you anything useful, check with ComReg instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Just tagging another question on here if I may ,

What if you are comming to the end of your contract and deciding not to renew but instead to go with someone else ? anyone know what the story is here ?

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by jonski
    Just tagging another question on here if I may ,

What if you are comming to the end of your contract and deciding not to renew but instead to go with someone else ? anyone know what the story is here ?

John

John I am shocked at such potential disloyalty:)

You might find this thread useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks amigo , just trying to get a handle on whats involved in going from UTV to IOL .

Advertisement