Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Technical Wrestler?

• 16-06-2004 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

This list is just of wrestlers off the top of my head so maybe you disagree and think there is somebody thats better and isn't in it, if so post the wrestler.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I forgot to put in the f@ckin Poll...So I'll just leave it this way...I think Kurt Angle is the best technical Wrestler of all time..... I was going to have Kurt, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Dean Malenko, Tazz and Chris Beniot in the poll if that helps anybody. I'm sure theres more I'm not thinking bout cus its so late. Lou Thez...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 yami308

I agree with all of those and add.......... Eugene!
    That guy can apply a hammer-lock like nobody else! He's got all the savvy of Jimmy Garvin, or any other wrestler from the '80s for that matter. Speaking of '80s wrestlers, I think Kevin Von Erich was the best of his time and could still probably give Benoit a run for his money.
    And what about Steve Corino, no kidding, he's got skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Ric Flair
    Bret Hart
    Doug Williams
    Chris Benoit
    Blake Norton :D (seriously...)
    Ricky Steamboat

Who's Blake Norton?

I forgot about the Steiners (NWA-era), when Rick was teamed up with The Varsity Club (Mike Rotunda, Kevin Sullivan, any more?), those guys were quite technically sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Yeah - gotta agree on the steiners, but I'd also include ppl like Chris Benoit - can't deny his ability to get technical in the ring & the submission matches with Angle in the past were just pure showmanship of the abilities of the pair, but I'd also throw in people like Benjamin & Haas - cos when they were team angle, the amount of technical stuff they'd incorporate was just cool to watch esp. against "smashmouth" wrestlers.....

Technically speaking - you *could* include Lucheadors in this as what they do at times does border on intricatally technical....

::: <JR> SILVERSURFER GOING FOR THE SPLASH!!!!!! <KING> PUPPPPIIIEEESSS :::

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
    Technically speaking - you *could* include Lucheadors in this as what they do at times does border on intricatally technical....

I think that would be a whole other thread, 'cuz you can get into "Best Mexican Wrestler", "Best Japanese", "Best Hardcore","Best High Flyer", etc. The list would be endless.
    How about "Best Wrestler In Make-up"?
    I vote for Vampiro. He's also got great technical skills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by yami308
    Who's Blake Norton?

The IwW head trainer.

Right on. Thanks.

I actually don't rate Ric Flair as a great Technical Wrestler....Paul Orndoff was another for me..well mostly just because he could execute all moves to near perfection and what a piledriver!!! I really wish Kurt and Tazz were still wrestling, nobody seems to ever talk about Tazz comming back so I've kind of givin up hope..He was also My favourite guy at Promo's even better than The Rock

Originally posted by Magnolia_Fan
    I actually don't rate Ric Flair as a great Technical Wrestler....
    This isnt a smart arse question, I swear, but can some one give me a valid description of what a technical wrestler is? Everyone seems to have to wrong, and are getting technical skill mixed up with an amature and/or MMA back ground.

Watch Ric Flair circa 1985, and you will disagree :D

Hanza

• Advertisement

Personally, I think being a good technical wrestler is knowing the moves and being able to put together a string of moves so you and your opponent can work as a cohesive unit and not look like total dipsh*ts that can't walk & chew gum at the same time. Also, knowing a lot of different techniques and, possibly, styles so you can entertain the audience and succeed in your chosen profession. That's just my take on it. If you wanted to be technically sound at MMA, wouldn't you want to focus on striking and grappling to be the best at what you do? The same goes for wrestling or any other sport or career you choose. It's all about knowing what to do and when to do it. Knowing how to use a microphone and work the crowd doesn't hurt, either.

To me being a Technical Wrestler is pretty much what the last guy said...knowing the moves and the holds and being able to execute them perfectly also I feel A "Technical Wrestler" is a wrestler that sticks to Mat Wrestling, Submission Moves and Classic Wrestling Moves as opposed to Hardcore or High Flyers who rely on Risky moves...I don't know if any of that made sense basically they rely on their abillity to wrestle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Bret Hart or Chris Benoit are the two Im most familar with, maybe Flair too.

God I loved Hart, i was a total maniac fan, I still hold a grudge on vince!

Personally, I think being a good technical wrestler is knowing the moves and being able to put together a string of moves so you and your opponent can work as a cohesive unit and not look like total dipsh*ts that can't walk & chew gum at the same time. Also, knowing a lot of different techniques and, possibly, styles so you can entertain the audience and succeed in your chosen profession. That's just my take on it. If you wanted to be technically sound at MMA, wouldn't you want to focus on striking and grappling to be the best at what you do? The same goes for wrestling or any other sport or career you choose. It's all about knowing what to do and when to do it. Knowing how to use a microphone and work the crowd doesn't hurt, either.
    Some of your points are valid, but you cant see the whole picture.
    To me being a Technical Wrestler is pretty much what the last guy said...knowing the moves and the holds and being able to execute them perfectly also I feel A "Technical Wrestler" is a wrestler that sticks to Mat Wrestling, Submission Moves and Classic Wrestling Moves as opposed to Hardcore or High Flyers who rely on Risky moves...I don't know if any of that made sense basically they rely on their abillity to wrestle!

Ok here it is.
    A technical wrestler is a preformer with the right mixture of every aspect of wrestling. From simpley knowing left to right and to positioning his opponent for a complex reversal. As well as a deep understanding of crowd and opponent psycology, and ring awarness(which is one of the most over looked yet important aspects of wrestling)

The word technical wrestler, when used on TV only sums up half of what a technical wrestler is. When JR says so and so is a good technical wrestler, he is really saying his chain wrestling and mat work is impressive. The reason why they have started using the word technical wrestler is due to smarts, thinking they know what they are talking about.

But a real technical wrestler means, you have the ability to carry you and your opponent through a safe and entertaining match, with good chain and spot calling. Having a deep understanding of how the basics and fundimentals work. you can take, counter and hit any sort of move (high flying, chain, spot) at the relivent times, and know exactly when those times are. Listening to the crowd, but not being controlled by them. The pase has to be perfect...

For example, Kurt Angle V Benoit Royal Rumble 2003. They had about a 22 minute match. The pase was perfect. first 5 minutes, no one cared really. 10 minutes in to the match, people were chanting a bit, 15 minutes in people were shouting. 20 minutes, everyone was on their feet going bizerk. The pase and the crowd were controlled so well that when Kurt put on the sit down Angle lock foir the first time ever, even tho no one had seen him use that varient before, everyone knew that was it.

Benoit and Kurt knew what the crowd wanted more then what the crowd did themselves. Dont ever think you as a fan know more then the wrestlers. They didnt blade when someone chanted we want blood. They didnt run all over the place and waste their energy when the crowd chanted boring. They were in control.

They are brilliant examples of technical wrestlers.

I guess thats the best discription I can give. Sorry if it seems all over the gaf

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

think you hit the nail on the head there man and i think its fairly clear that using that description and particularly the match example its hard to look past Angle as the greatest technical wrestler ever! although he is pushed close by bret hart,benoit and i think HBK has to be up there too! never really saw flair in his prime but even watchin him now ya know he had to be good.

Originally posted by Hanza
    Some of your points are valid, but you cant see the whole picture.
    But a real technical wrestler means, you have the ability to carry you and your opponent through a safe and entertaining match, with good chain and spot calling. Having a deep understanding of how the basics and fundimentals work. you can take, counter and hit any sort of move (high flying, chain, spot) at the relivent times, and know exactly when those times are. Listening to the crowd, but not being controlled by them. The pase has to be perfect...
    I guess thats the best discription I can give. Sorry if it seems all over the gaf

Hanza

Okay, so I left out some of the terminology, but isn't that basically what I said? When I said "knowing different techniques", I didn't just mean wrestling moves. I did actually mean stuff like ring presence, psychology, pace, etc. Aren't those techniques, too? And by "working the crowd", I wasn't saying being controlled by what the crowd wants, I just didn't give an example like you did (which was a good example, btw). I apologize for not elaborating on my thoughts a little more.
    Also, it wasn't "over the gaf", it was a very good explanation from what I know of the business and not too long-winded.

Originally posted by yami308
    I apologize for not elaborating on my thoughts a little more.
    Also, it wasn't "over the gaf", it was a very good explanation from what I know of the business and not too long-winded.
    There is no need for apoligies man. I wasnt bitching at anyone. I prefer people to know as much as they possibly can so we can all have proper converstations, unlike some forums where they just spout and spout and spout and dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Granted not one knows everything there is to know about wrestling, but its so much better when people know what certin terminology means.

No need to apoligise.

Hanza

Originally posted by Hanza
    I prefer people to know as much as they possibly can so we can all have proper converstations, unlike some forums where they just spout and spout and spout and dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Granted not one knows everything there is to know about wrestling, but its so much better when people know what certin terminology means.

Hanza

I totally agree. Conversing with a "know-it-all" can be as maddening as conversing with a blabbering idiot. It's nice to be in the middle ground. :D
    And I'll admit, I don't know what "over the gaf" means. I just guessed it meant "too much", but with an Irish flair.

Advertisement