Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom keep harassing me!

Options
  • 16-06-2004 1:29am

Hi there. My parents are subscribers to Esat-BT's telephone service and IOL No Limits, we have had both services since late 1999. For about a week every month, we keep receiving calls from eircom asking us to come back! The calls always come from the same number (1800 207 407), and on one occasion we just didn't answer the phone any time they called... so they sent a sales rep out to us!
    I think there should be a limit on how much a company can bother you like this. I intend on moving into my own place soon and getting IOL Broadband (I'll probably get the phone service too because the broadband costs less if I do). I just don't think I'll have any patience for them if they keep bugging me in my own home.
    Is there anything at all that I or my parents can do to stop them from driving us insane with their "special offers"? (even though they're still the most expensive provider in the country)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know if anyone else out there has had this problem. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am also with BT and IOL and Eircom rang me today...they were offering a good deal 29.99 Euro a month for phone calls and line rent,I told them I was very happy with BT.

The thing is why could eircom not offer me this when I was with them.I agree with you that they should only be able to contact you say 2 times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Karsini
    Is there anything at all that I or my parents can do to stop them from driving us insane with their "special offers"?
    Sure. because you've had the service since 1999 you can't avail of their "won't call for x months" (6 IIRC) guarantee imposed by Comreg but next time they ring tell them that you wish to be completely removed from their marketing database as you're entitled to do under the Data Protection Acts of 1988 and 2003 and receive no calls whatever from them on the phone or in person and that you expect them to inform you by letter within forty days that this has been done as they're required to do.

I'm sure you're tempted to leave out the requirement for them to inform you by letter but if they don't you've no comeback if they start again. I specifically phoned Vodafone after being removed from their "text message at 6am to tell you how wonderful Vodafone are" 'service' to ask where my letter was (especially when it started again). Since I got my letter I've received nothing from Vodafone but my bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just to add to sceptre's advice, ask specifically for the Data Protection Officer, and make sure you note down all of the relevant details -- time, date, person you talked to, etc, and put them somewhere safe in case they call again (after 40 days). If you get the DPO, they know their responsibilities and you'll be removed from the database; however if you don't, make sure you repeat all of these details back to them, including the 40 day requirement sceptre mentions. Most of the biddies don't give a toss about you, they need an incentive.

(Some of the biddies are actually quite nice - which isn't the same as giving a toss - so be nice.)

adam

Advertisement