Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Fans

• 16-06-2004 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Seeing as England fans are showing there true colours as usually and kicking the sh*t out of anything within a 5M radius is there any chance that UEFA will actually keep there promise and kick them out and back into the hole that they came from????

I think they should be thrown out and dropped out of the next WC as well. Might finally get the point over.

Did anyone see BBC1 last Sat mornin? there was a piece on BBC World news about the St Georges Cross and how it is looked on as a sign of hooliganism! anyway there was this bloke with tatoos all over him and they asked him what the flag meant to him and why he had it tatooed on his body! guess wat he says? "The colours are nice!" guess who is prob in jail this morning! haha! idiots

Oh yeah! Kick Engerland out and bring in the best fans in the World!! Ireland and then that Cork City flag can be at an Irish game instead of at every other countries! haha!

[EDIT]
    banned for a week, this is not the place for that type of post, in fact i cannot think where would be the place
    [EDIT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

By Gil Cohen Magen

ALBUFEIRA, Portugal (Reuters) - Portuguese police say they have arrested 20 people after battling "mostly English" hooligans in a second night of violence in the Algarve.

Private TSF radio reported more than 32 people were arrested on Wednesday and three were slightly injured, including a police officer. The report could not be immediately confirmed.

Hooligans started throwing bottles and chairs at police around 1.30 a.m. (0030 GMT) in the same area of bars and restaurants in this coastal town where hundreds of soccer fans, many wearing England shirts, rioted the previous night, police and eyewitnesses said.

Police captain Manuel Jorge of the GNR paramilitary force told Reuters 20 people had been taken into custody and by 4 a.m. the area was quiet.

One of those held needed hospital treatment for facial injuries, Jorge said. He had no word of other injuries and no immediate confirmation of the nationality of those detained.

"But we believe they are mostly English," he said.

"The trouble was no worse than last night even though there were more detentions," Jorge added. "Police on the spot estimated there were 300-400 people involved, but the situation is now calm."

The street of bars and clubs, many offering English fare, had been lively but peaceful during the evening as England fans mingled with Dutch supporters watching the Netherlands' 1-1 draw with Germany on big screens and televisions.

CHANTING FANS

Gangs of youths began arriving after midnight and the street soon filled with chanting revellers who blocked the road, began dancing in bars, on the street and singing football songs.

Then groups of people, many wearing England shirts, started throwing bottles and chairs at police who replied by calling for reinforcements in riot gear, with dogs and on horseback.

Eyewitnesses said missiles were also thrown at a group of photographers and a camera was smashed.

Lines of police moved into the crowd using batons to disperse them and there were running battles along the street.

Police ordered the public away from the area and closed the restaurants and cafes, cordoning off the street.

Police then began mopping up operations in side streets and were continuing to patrol, Jorge said.

Twelve people detained during violence early on Tuesday were due to appear in court later on Wednesday. The 12 include 10 Britons, a Russian and a Portuguese.

The England squad at Euro 2004 are based nearly 300 km from the Algarve, but many fans have chosen to stay on the southern coast, a popular destination for British holidaymakers.

England fans have a reputation for hooliganism and caused trouble both in France during the World Cup in 1998 and in Belgium at the last European Championship in 2000.

UEFA, European soccer's governing body, has warned the English FA that the national team could be banned from competition if fans cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Was anyone listening to Newstalk 106 last night ... they had some professor from England who has done research [& maybe a book] on the link between hooliganism & football ... as a lead up to the interview, they played a recording from the day before, where a Newstalk reporter went to a pub [maybe in Portugal ... I missed the very start of the segment] to ask England footie supporters of how they felt about Ireland ... I have to say that it was one of the worst things I've ever heard ... the main proponent of the abuse kept shouting out Fenian B@stards, up the UVF & was very proud of the fact that the only time he'd been in Dublin, he was deported because he helped rip up Lansdowne Road!!

The professor went on to say that it's not just about Ireland that these feelings are vented ... he said that football was now being used as a side bar for violence & hooliganism!!

It's not surprising [based alone on the contents of that interview] that UEFA & FIFA are considering banning England from international competitions!!

On a lighter note, he said he wished all football fans were like the Irish ... Get totally hammered drunk & have a great time partying etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

....and the Irish never rioted at a football match ever have they?

http://content.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/1340678?view=Eircomnet

The rightwing and football is a problem no question but its true for a number of countries including nice Sweden.

As for a pub full of well oiled working class "oiks" shouting the odds regarding Ireland I wonder what the same Vox Pop would unearth in an Irish Pub when England were playing for example?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    It's not surprising [based alone on the contents of that interview] that UEFA & FIFA are considering banning England from international competitions!!
    It's happened to the club teams before and it hurt them severely but I think they're better behaved as a result. Possibly not as lenghty a ban should be impossed, hopefully it doesn't need to get that far though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by mike65
    ....and the Irish never rioted at a football match ever have they?

http://content.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/1340678?view=Eircomnet

The rightwing and football is a problem no question but its true for a number of countries including nice Sweden.

As for a pub full of well oiled working class "oiks" shouting the odds regarding Ireland I wonder what the same Vox Pop would unearth in an Irish Pub when England were playing for example?

Mike.

Never mentioned that the Irish dont riot but can you count how many times at a major tournament Irish fans have been in a riot? then take the English fans! how many timesa have they been involved in riots??

Also this thing that there is only a small number and they are not the true fans is crap. Everytime they riot a couple of them get arrested and they arnt allowed to fly out to anymore games! so in fact this should mean there is nearly no more of this select few??? but from any pics I have seen there is hundreds of fans involved!

The only way to stop this happening everytime is 2 throw them out! this "select few" mite get the point then!

Mind you I would like the English to win it out! or the Czech Rep!

• Advertisement

Proberly not a surprise

from reuters
    Euro-German fans arrested after attack on Dutch
    Tue 15 June, 2004 13:03

LISBON, June 15 (Reuters) - Five German fans were arrested in Porto overnight for an attack on Dutch supporters ahead of the Euro 2004 match between their rival teams later on Tuesday, Portuguese police said.

The five allegedly threw chairs and tables at Dutch fans at an esplanade on the Douro River, a police spokesman said on Tuesday. They were among 60 to 80 Dutch and German supporters in the riverfront area.

They face possible criminal charges on Tuesday, the spokesman said. No one was seriously injured.

Organisers of the European Championship have classified the clash between Germany and the Netherlands as carrying a high risk of violence. The game starts at 7:45 p.m. (1845 GMT) at Porto's Dragao stadium.

Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende is scheduled to attend the match with Portuguese counterpart Jose Manuel Durao Barroso, the Portuguese prime minister's office said.

UEFA might have a problem if they throw out all teams who fans transgress.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by mike65

UEFA might have a problem if they throw out all teams who fans transgress.

Mike.
    So do you think the scape-goat route might be an option for them? Make an example of someone kind of thing...

I honestly dont think UEFA have the bottle to do it esp as its leding members like England, Germany, Holland and Italy that have some of the worst hooligan problems.

That said I think banning a team is not the solution to the problem. Lets face it nothing can stop ppl travelling to a destination "on hoilliday" or "business" and then having a riot anyway...

Mike.

Seemily they stopped about 30-40 people in airports in the UK and told them they couldnt go to Portugal because they had a reputation of hooligans! this is even when they said it was business/hols!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

The reason Irish soccer does not have a hooligan element has little to do with us all being happy drunken pixies, and more to do with us not having a strong domestic league to nurture hatred and a fighting culture between large numbers of fans, fair enough it is beginning to creep in as 'mike65' has pointed out but it has been going on in England since the 70s
    . It should also be noted that it's not just an English problem, we hear more about the English side of it because of our proximity to the British media.
    And if you notice it is usually fans from lower league clubs that get into bother, teh Euro ban of the '80s has taught the larger clubs a lesson.
    I was at the England v Denmark game in the 2002 WC and though the English fans were just as jovial and good natured as the Irish fans. Fair enough they were winning 3-0 and you did not have a large 'ticket less' element that you see in Europe that just got the ferry over for a piss-up.

And one more think, I can't understand how anyone in Ireland could feel sorry for Wales for not making it, their fans are worse than the English, Cardiff City Welsh fans go to England games to cause trouble, even though their own country is not even playing. Expect fire works in their WC qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Seemily they stopped about 30-40 people in airports in the UK and told them they couldnt go to Portugal because they had a reputation of hooligans! this is even when they said it was business/hols!!
    2,000 English hooligans had to hand in their passport before Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I get sick and tired of listening to the lectures some of the irish fans give a small minority of english supporters. Its not liike 40,000 have went on a riot, its only a few isolated incidents in portugal at the moment.

And that time during the England Ireland game at landsdowne road was a discrase. the Gardai werent long headin in with the brutal "beat the living crap out of everyone" tatics

Ireland is as bad, same with the rest of Europe

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    I get sick and tired of listening to the lectures some of the irish fans give a small minority of english supporters. Its not liike 40,000 have went on a riot, its only a few isolated incidents in portugal at the moment.

And that time during the England Ireland game at landsdowne road was a discrase. the Gardai werent long headin in with the brutal "beat the living crap out of everyone" tatics

First of all fair play to the gardai, the hooligans deserve whatever they get. Secondly, countries like Turkey and Russia may be as bad as England but Irish are certainly not. The link that Mike posted was Shamrock Rovers fans, need I say more? I wouldn't even give them the pleasure of calling them hooligans, Deco thought he saw someone looking at Jamelia's knickers up her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

As so many people on here are so keen to point out whenever the merits of the Ireland football team is discussed, Ireland is a smaller country than England.

There are what 20 times as many people in England. Ireland doesn't have perfect fans...

How many fans who get arrested after Celtic - Rangers games do you think are Irish?

I can remember a gang of Irish Celtic fans rioting on O'Connell street about what, 4 years ago?

England has a population of 62 million to the best of my knowledge...

When you see 20Million people whatching England games live on TV, the idea of even 1000 hooligans shows you what a small minority it is.

Oh and there is a Dublin based Rangers fanclub which has to meet behind closed doors for fear of violence from Celtic fans???? Imported English Celtic fans...I think not!

FFS people, why in the name of god are you defending these scumbag hooligans? It doesn't matter if the Irish are just as bad, the topic is about a English hooligans in Portugal. It's one of the main news item's in today's bulletins. There's no need to change it into Ireland-v-England-v-the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by thejollyrodger

Agreed, the whole "All Irish fans are great, all English fans are scum" is a bit tiresome, but those few English scum bags still ruin it for the 99% of top class fans that travel

Would not agreed that Ireland is as bad but it does have it's fair share of lowlife too

Those hooligans are lowlifes....But you can't tar all english fans with the same brush.

I am an England fan....I've never been involved in trouble!

It is such a tiny proportion as well. This atitude of "English fans are showing their true colours" is such an idiotic atitude to take..

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Those hooligans are lowlifes....But you can't tar all english fans with the same brush.

I am an England fan....I've never been involved in trouble!

It is such a tiny proportion as well. This atitude of "English fans are showing their true colours" is such an idiotic atitude to take..
    I've just read over the opening post and I can see your point.

BTW - I am an Celtic fan....I've never been involved in trouble! ;)

/edit, Ireland won the best fans award for WC2002 and Celtic won got 2 awards in 2003 so the travelling fans can't be that bad.:)

Sorry should have been more clear to begin with. I am refering to the fans over in Portugal that are casuing all these problems.....my main point was supposed to be do you tink that England will be thrown out? or how are they going to stop these muppets!!!

They where told before they left for Portugal that if they riot then England will be thrown out.......so wat happens they go on riot as usual!! if UEFA dont throw them out then the English supporter who take part in these riots will think they can do it all the time and nothin will be done!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Sorry should have been more clear to begin with. I am refering to the fans over in Portugal that are casuing all these problems.....my main point was supposed to be do you tink that England will be thrown out? or how are they going to stop these muppets!!!

They where told before they left for Portugal that if they riot then England will be thrown out.......so wat happens they go on riot as usual!! if UEFA dont throw them out then the English supporter who take part in these riots will think they can do it all the time and nothin will be done!!

Plenty is being done to stop the scum, there are undercover cops that travel with the fans and video tape any of the trouble, they pick out the offenders, and they are usually stopped from travelling in future when England are playing.

As Eirebhoy said earlier thousands of the scum are now stopped from travelling when England play abroad, it is getting better but will take more time to wipe out completely.

I doubt if UEFA would kick England out though unless it really kicks off

A leeds fan was killed by Turkish fans without any sanctions being imposed.

They can't really kick England out for a few fans throwing chairs around when they are making such an effort to control the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    A

England has a population of 62 million to the best of my knowledge...

When you see 20Million people whatching England games live on TV, the idea of even 1000 hooligans shows you what a small minority it is.

I think 62 million is the population of mthe Uk , so over 50 million English .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I think the main point is that English fans are in the majority of football related riots.
    France/Germany has a population not too far from the population of England, and combined the population exceeds that of England, yet French/German supporters aren't even close to being as bad as the English when it comes to football related violence.

Furthermore, statistics are horrible to use. If England has 20 times more people than Ireland, they should be 20 times better at everything compared to Ireland?
    I don't think I need to say more for you to realize that this is statement is severly flawed.

I don't think that they should to anything to England right now, as no-one is really sure what triggered the violence, and for all we know it could simply be drunk english people on holiday and nothing more.

I do however believe that if there ever was a riot clearly linked to football, the should kick England out.
    I think this would be good because sooner or later, you must set an example and show the world that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Justice Portugese style!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3815005.stm

Two years for throwing a bottle at Military Police.

Maybe if the authorities in other countries were as harsh as this the problem would solve itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have to say I feel really sorry for the majority of English fans that travel abroad to see their team play and inadvertently get caught up in all this sh1te caused by these minority of scumbags!

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

yeah gets them a bad reputation.Why is it that nearly every english game that is abroad rioting starts?

Advertisement