Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some music...

Options
  • 16-06-2004 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the dealy - looking for some new / different music to get my teeth into. So if I describe my taste then someone might be able to suggest something.
    Fav Artist: Neil Young - album on the beach. I like most of his contempories too like Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, but to lesser extents. Albums at one point or another I have loved: - Bring It On - Gomez, Dance The Devil - The Frames, Relationship of Command - At The Drive In, OK COmputer - Radiohead, Grace - Jeff Buckley, A Mighty Wind - Soundtrack, Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan - Royal Albert Hall 1966, Queens of The Stone Age - Rated R, (most Neil Young albums would fit into this category).
    I HATE manufactured pop crap, disco (all disco), I have no current desire to listen to rap. I like music that's different - eg the Bees had a really cool abum a few years ago.

I don't like Elvis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by RE*AC*TOR

I don't like Elvis.

That's a petty.

Aaaaanyway.... I'd suggest you listen to some Prince, his new album is superb. Get some funk into ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Prince? :eek:

I don't know how you decided on Prince - a bit of a jump I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

James - Millionaires
    Dodgy - Free Peace Sweet
    The Who - Who's Next?
    Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    Led Zeppelin - III
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Weather Report - Live And Unreleased

Actuall have Who's Next and Master of Puppets - both excellent. Not wild on James or Dodgy (britpop kind of missed me). Haven't been able to get into Led Zeppelin - but will give Frank Zappa and Weather Report a twirl.

Don't underestimate the Dodgy and James albums, both are truly excellent and largely underappreciated due to the unfortunate (and unfounded) linking of both bands with the britpop thing. Britpop they ain't, they're just great music.

• Advertisement

Well, IMHO they epitomise that bland drums and guitar scene that was all the rage for about 2.5 years. Personally that's probably why I don't like them - there's just nothing to their music.
    On a side note - curently listening to Weather Report (not the live and unreleased, but their first album) courtesy of allofmp3.com. First impression :- its jazz! I like jazz, but in small doses. (also gave james - millionaires a little run through - not my bag of spanners).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Try some Afghan Wigs, Robin Trower, The Who, I like Young too and they are whats playing in my place now.

Bland drums? Have you listened to Dodgy at all or are you just generalising because they're English and released albums during the 90's? Matt Priest is anything but bland, he's an excellent drummer and really shines on that album, some very inventive drumming altogether. Millionaires is a different thing altogether, it's an album which grows. I hated it the first time I heard it but gave it a couple more listens and to me it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Just get over your dislike of Blur and Oasis because neither of these bands had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Based on your liking of Neil Young I'd say you'd also like Gillian Welsh. All of her albums are great, her most recent one is probably the easiest to get into. But my favourite would be 1996's Revival.

Also be sure to have a listen to a band called Hem and their album Rabbit Songs. It's probably my favourite album of the last few years, I just love it.

You can listen to clips from it here, but I'm sure you'll like it: http://www.rabbitsongs.com/

Happy Listening

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Bland drums?.... Just get over your dislike of Blur and Oasis because neither of these bands had anything to do with it.

Sorry - didn't mean bland drums, I meant the music in general is bland, and its drums and guitar music - the same music that a thousand other bands play. I probably should have written "bland, drums and guitar scene" its an important comma I suppose. I actually like Blur (to a certain extent) (a small extent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Leonard Cohen - Best of
    Rolling Stones - 40 licks

Prince? :eek:

I don't know how you decided on Prince - a bit of a jump I would say.

Well.....
    looking for some new / different music

That was what made me say Prince. But not to worry... .you just stick to your genre of music, and keep those blinkers on - must not listen to anything else other than rock.

The reason I chose those two albums is because they're not bland, nor typical of the music released around them at the time, especially the James album which isn't very guitar based at all. Ah well, your loss.

Originally posted by bazH
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Leonard Cohen - Best of
    Rolling Stones - 40 licks

Actually have all of these - All superb. Although having said that, while pet sounds is a super album, I can't understand why so many people think it the greatest album of all time. I have a friend who's a complete Leonard Cohen nut. He's even bought some of his novels and books of poetry.

Originally posted by Doctor J
    The reason I chose those two albums is because they're not bland, nor typical of the music released around them at the time, especially the James album which isn't very guitar based at all. Ah well, your loss.

I'll give dodgy another whirl but really don't think James is my cup of tea.
    Originally posted by Dr Loon
    keep those blinkers on - must not listen to anything else other than rock.

hey, that's harsh. Although probably a little true - point taken.
    Originally posted by blobert
    ...I'd say you'd also like Gillian Welsh.

Yes!!! Listening to Soul Journey - super sound. Reminds me of a country-rock Aimee Mann.

Speaking of female artists - I didn't mention any in my initial post - so here goes :- Joni Mitchell, Gema Hayes.

hey, that's harsh. Although probably a little true - point taken.

Indeed. I was the same myself for a long time, and only recently "discovered" Prince myself. I've decided to listen to anything and everything people recommend. If I don't like it I just forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There's a guy that I work with and he'd be into most of the music that you listed, and recently I gave him a copy of the late great Mic Christopher's album Skylarkin and he was well impressed. Definitely worth checking out.

B.

Thanks Bazmo - actually love that album - its such a loss, can't get over it. Also like Josh, Damien, David and to a slightly lesser extent Mundy.

To Dr Loon:- listened to first 7 songs of Musicology. :dunno: meh. I could take it or leave it if you know what I mean.

To Dr Loon:- listened to first 7 songs of Musicology. :dunno: meh. I could take it or leave it if you know what I mean.

If you ain't into the funk you ain't into the funk. Prince might be a bit of an acquired taste. Still, never say never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

Jefferson Airplane
    John Frusciante ... solo stuff (absolutely brilliant imo)

also check out a band called Q and not U , they're pretty original and good

• Advertisement

Jeffersson Airplane are definetly interesting. I bought After Bathing at Baxters years ago - couldn't make head nor tails of it. Kind of odd how they evolved into Jefferson Starship and then Starship - WTF! Nothings gonna stop us now! Mannequin! :confused:

Doctor J - currently 7 songs through Dodgy. Its alright - remiinds me of the Seahorses, who are atrociously shallow and by-the-numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

my morning jacket - the tennessee fire, etc..
    emmylou harris
    skip spence - oar
    yo la tengo
    beta band 3 e.p.'s
    spiritualized
    hank williams
    flying burrito brothers
    byrds
    bonnie 'prince' billy and all his incarnations
    grandaddy
    wilco

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

looking at the stuff you listen to at the moment I think you'd really like "forever changes" by Love.

Originally posted by Marq
    looking at the stuff you listen to at the moment I think you'd really like "forever changes" by Love.

wow - truly excellent - after i heard the first song i thought it was going to be the best album ever. Very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

glad you like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

goldie - timeless. :thumbsup:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

David Ktt ... or did you already say you listen to him ? .....

Also check out Firebird , Rush and The Soundtrack Of Our Lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

go to www.musicplasma.com and type in a band you like, and it should come up with bands you might also like, worked a treat for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Thin Lizzy

The best Band ever, you want be disapointed.

Thanks JoePC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

if you like qotsa check out kyuss their previous incarnation whith a lineup that chaned so much it made qotsa look stable.
    If you like singer songwriters check out Bright Eyes whose most recent album is Lifted.
    Or Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes frontman) rockier side with the Desaparecidos their album read music speak spanish is damn good.
    Billy Bragg is another songwriter you might like.
    For something louder try iggy and the stooges espessaly raw power damn good early punk/garage rock.
    Try some of My Bloody Valintine only released 2 albums "isnt anything" and "loveless" damn good.
    Television very good punk era band but more arty than most punk "marquee moon" is a masterpeice.
    Whipping Boy may favourite band their aubum "hearworm" is well worth checking out.
    Gang of Four great post punk band that heavely influenced a lot of modern bands Entertainment! would be a good place to start.
    You should like some of these as you obiously have good taste in music as "on the beach is one of my favourite albums of all time and a number of other artist you mentioned would be up there to.

Advertisement